Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are Armadillos Hard to Kill?

Super Moderator

Anyone ever eat one of em? Would it be like eating Possum on the Half Shell?

None yet in my part of the Beef State but my brother in AR has lots of dillo lawn trouble. He dispatches them with either a 410 or a 22 using shorts or CB's. Neighbors don't like firearm noise, might be a legal thing too. But you can use only so much pesticide, and lawns must be a masterpiece. They have deer damage also to their flowers and very rare bear sightings. They get upset with turkey poop too. I think the ozarkers call fried dillo - possum on a half shell.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Master
    If you stake down a board on edge they will root along it, if you put a couple down to form a funnel they’ll go along to the narrow end.

At that point trap them, shoot them, whatever you want really.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Never done it, but I've heard of them being eaten way down South of the border.

Not sure if its true or not, and it might be a myth, but I've always been told they can carry leprosy.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-10-2020 at 04:43 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by PositiveCaster View Post
    Technically they do have teeth, but as stated I wouldn’t worry about the animal biting me.
    Huh. Never knew that.
    I guess they can't open their mouth very far, so I never saw them way back up in there.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I killed 16 one summer, used a motion light hooked to an all night radio station,with out the light. Placed in the area they were frequently around sho nuff just about every night that thing would go off about 2:30 am. Get up with pistol in hand and get em. One of the last ones was dieng right by the a/c unit, I’ll just end this, shot him thru the head and penetrated into the ground right into the suction line. All that spraying of Freon coming from under that diller just knew i had done got the Lepersy.

So, maybe late May, 1961. I was going through Advanced Infantry Training at Ft. Hood, TX. For the very first time they had us camp out in the Texas brush in a small clearing. It was a brightly moonlight night, maybe 50 guys in a small clearing in their sleeping bags, no tents. Most of the guys were from the West Coast and it seemed like a lot of them were California Latinos and city boys. There was the usual joking and griping which slowly faded away to just a murmur, then silence as they started dropping off to sleep.

Way off in the distance it seemed like you could hear a tank moving about. Tanks, bulldozers, other tracked vehicles-- sometimes you can't hear the engines but still can hear the tracks clanking if they're far enough away.

Then the clanking seemed to sort of become a clicking, and then out of the brush and into the clearing, shining silver in the moonlight came a very large armadillo. "What the....look at that", someone yelled. Suddenly there were guys running in every direction. Some found it difficult to get out of the sleeping bags and it looked like a sack race with guys hopping away into the brush. Personally, although I'd never seen one in person, I'd seen and read about them and seen pictures in books, so I'm proud to say that I stayed put. The armadillo nosed about a bit and then went back the way he came, and gradually the brave warriors returned to their rest. Except for a couple who were gone for about an hour, and who were eventually rounded up by the platoon Sgt. and his flashlight.

410 works well. People during the depression called them “Hoover Hogs” because they felt Pres. Hoover was at fault for their having to resort to eating Armadillos.

Boolit Master
    Killed them with 38 Special SWC's and 22 LR. One was digging up the foundation under my porch steps. Took about 4 rounds of 22 LR to shut him down that time. Analogy would be like trying to kill a possum.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy
    They're not much more than a ripe cantelope. Took one once with a 75 gr TNT out of a 250 Savage at maybe 30 yards broadside. It just slumped over on the far side. I went over and kicked it over to see how much damage that hollow point had done. There was basically no far side, almost the whole of the offside was gone.

I have eaten armadillo on a campout with friends and in a taco provided by a Mexican friend. It's in the starvation food category for me. Possum is in the same class.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

It didn't taste like chicken????
    Never trade luck for skill.

Some hilarious stories.
    You can usually get very close to them, .22 would be just fine. Remember that when dillos are startled and start running you never know what direction that may be. I've had them run into my leg when they were just trying to get away.

Boolit Grand Master

Der Gebirgsjager

It was at Fort Hood, Texas (actually North Fort Hood) where I drop kicked one.....only had blanks as we were OPFOR against the First Cav when Patten Jr was in command......had cock roaches there almost as big as the armadillos.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Young Armadillo tastes similar to Pork. Especially when the meat is barbequed. Old Armadillo was not eaten by us due to the scare of disease. We never eat Armadillo ,even young ones, past June of the new year. We used to enjoy Armadillo fried rice too. Since I retired, I stopped hunting so we don't eat wild unless it is gifted to us. I'm a Florida cracker and have eaten most everything found in our swamps. 22 short in the head for eatin fare. They dress out looking like a Possum carcass but are much easier to dress out. Yes they are very easy to prey upon with a rifle. Ones that are a pest can be killed easily with an axe handle or shovel. It is a dirty rotten shame I know what I do about Armadillos.
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Aramadillo always makes me think of "Barbarosa" with Willie Nelson and Gary Busey! Gotta watch it now.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I’ve killed a bunch when I lived Florida. I certainly would not eat one! Especially considering it’s one of the few animals besides man that can be a carrier for leprosy!!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

As a kid I learned not to shoot them with an arrow unless you were willing to lose the arrow.They nearly always get to their hole and either take it down with them or break it.Later as a young man I discovered another no no..... stalking up close to save a bullet and chopping one with an ax will kill it dead.... and soak you head to toe with blood.... real messy

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Der Gebirgsjager

It was at Fort Hood, Texas (actually North Fort Hood) where I drop kicked one.....only had blanks as we were OPFOR against the First Cav when Patten Jr was in command......had cock roaches there almost as big as the armadillos.....
    Interesting place. I was there April - June. They had a Post regulation in effect that you couldn't double time recruits after 0900 (too hot) so they got us up extra early to get the running over with. Said to have some of every poisonous snake in the U.S. All I saw were rattlers and coral snakes. Almost every night, following the scorching days, about 0200 it would start hailing hailstones somewhere in size between large marbles and golf balls. It's been 59 yeas ago, and I don't know who's there now, but at the time it was the 2nd Armored Division "Hell on Wheels", and they were considered to be one of the combat ready outfits that would be sent into combat, should the need arise. They had a huge ammo dump divided into various sections and compounds, many of which had sentry towers. The recruits would be detailed for guard duty and have to sit in the towers on those hot nights. We had M1s and 1 clip of ammo, and were instructed to shoot should anyone be seen attempting to open or enter an ammo bunker. So, there you'd be, trying hard to stay awake, and you'd hear "blam!" Almost always was some bored G.I. shooting at a rabbit. Pretty soon you'd see some headlights and a 2nd Lt. would show up and asked who shot and why. I guess one couldn't lie their way out of the responsibility because they'd be short a round, but I bet there were some tall tales told about why they fired. Me, I was worried that some imbecile would somehow set off some of that tank ammo with an errant round, with the end result being a moon sized crater. Having left in June, I believe that the hottest weather came later. Other memories are that there was a very nice, new EM Club that had been built by funds donated by Elvis Presley who had passed through a couple of years earlier. Also, that surrounding towns like Kileen and Temple were "dry", and where there was beer it was Lone Star brand. I made Col.'s Orderly at one of the guard mounts, and was sent to see the C.O., a One Star. He congratulated me and asked if I intended to make the Army a career. I replied that I really hadn't thought about it and needed more time and experience to make the decision. He had me open the front door for a couple of hours for visitors, and then gave me the rest of the day off. To myself I was thinking, "Not if it would involve spending my career at Ft. Hood!"

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Just don't drop kick one with jungle boots on.....don't ask how I know...….
    Ha, I know the answer to this. Don't ask me how either. I like your picture, I have one of me that is quite similar. I LOVED the "pig". Still remember the SN# 17662R.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast