Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are Armadillos Hard to Kill?

Boolit Buddy
    I know from experience if you hit em dead center with a Kawasaki 650 at 70mph, they splatter like a ripe melon. Scared me cause I thought it was going to be like hitting a cinder block. There was no missing him, i nailed the gas and hit him as square as i could, felt like hitting an expansion joint.

Quote Originally Posted by daengmei View Post
    I'm shocked, this from, "125 Facts That Will Make You Feel Instantly Smarter".
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...=true#image=45
    Kind of makes you wonder about the other 124 " facts"......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-10432102.html

Yep and I have some ocean front property for sale in Iowa. I would like to know the real story?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

If it's in the news, it must be true....

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by daengmei View Post
    I'm shocked, this from, "125 Facts That Will Make You Feel Instantly Smarter".
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...=true#image=45
    Liberal media. What do you expect.

Boolit Master
    Depends what you shoot them with. I've shot one close up with a 9mm. The bullet deflected off the shell and it took off. I got it a couple of days later when it came back.

To be fair, I think the shot was more of an angled hit than a dead on hit, but still.

I've shot one with a 44 mag and one with a 357 mag. DRT both times.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve killed a bunch of them with my old Nylon 66 .22 rifle. My dog has punctured their shell with his canine teeth.
    It’s hard for me to imagine a .38 or 9mm bouncing off of one.

Boolit Buddy
    I shot one with a broadhead while on a deer stand, sucker was making way too much racket. On impact, It jumped about 4ft straight up. When it finally hit the ground, it looked like someone dropped a bucket of red paint off a pickup as it bounced and rolled off spraying blood everywhere. No idea how they can contain so much blood.
    We leased that property from an old man that was actually born in the cabin we stayed in and he still lived on the property. He would hear the first guy to go through the gate on Friday and come to see how much beer they brought. One of the guys had shot an armadillo and the old man was upset when he came around and found out that it was just left laying. I arrived late that night and was informed that they had kept dinner warm for me. I finished unloading my truck and went to open the oven. One peek inside, I closed the oven door and went to bed. Darn thing looked like a hairy canoe laying in a roasting pan.

I have a 10/22 with 4 power scope and homemade flashlight mount sitting in the corner. Here in about a month they'll be out in the afternoon. A 22 will go all the way through even front-to-back. I've also used my rossi 92 357 with warm 38 loads; that anchors them pretty well.

Boolit Master
    Shot a lot of them back in the 60's when I was in the Air Force in Sherman, Texas. Most were with my recurve bow using field points. It's amazing how many arrows they can try to take down a hole! My 4" S&W model 28 also accounted for quite a few using the Keith bullet.

Dick

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Yep. Wrapped in aluminum foil under the camp fire, chicken fried.
    Get the shell started to come loose at the shoulders, put a boot toe on each side of the shell, pull up on the head and trim out with your knife.

Be sure and go for a head shot if you're gonna eat them.

Did any of your fingers, tongue, or limbs fall off after eating it? To me eating something that carries the Leprosy virus would be like have sex with Someone who has aids.

Boolit Buddy
    I goggled can armadillos carry leprosy, checked a couple of different sites. One site stated that approximately 16% of armadillos show infection. Also approximately 95% of people are immune to Hanson's disease to use it's correct name. It is also curable with antibiotics.
    That said, when they get to our part of NC in larger numbers I might try one.I
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Boolit Mold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    55 degrees in Missouri this afternoon.
    This one dispatched with the Ruger Mark I
    .22 Long Rifle 40 grain solid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Sometimes they die quickly. Mostly not. I was squirrel hunting for the first time in the Louisiana woods one fall morning. Found a nice oak grove and a fallen tree to sit on. Before long I heard leaves rustling. Here come an armadillo. Rather than leave, it looked like he had found a good place to feed all morning. After a long while, I felt I had to take charge of the situation. Put a .22 RF in his cute little head. He exploded. Ran in a circle and jumped three feet in the air periodically. Threw blood everywhere. After he slowed down it took three more shots to make him quiet.

The local young men in Louisiana thought it was great sport to chase an armadillo down a ditch beside the road. Then pull up to him , jump out of the truck and "bulldog" the dillo. These same boys wanted me to go frog hunting with them. I said I didn't have a gig. Well Louisiana does not allow piercing the skin of a frog. So you wade out into the water up to your arm pits at night with a flashlight in one hand and a three foot willow switch in your mouth. The switch is to scare off copperheads and cotton mouths who come to the light. I lost my taste for frog legs.

Quote Originally Posted by vernm View Post
    Well Louisiana does not allow piercing the skin of a frog.
    If they allowed the guys down there to get them that easily-- they'd be extinct after the first season.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    A mild 38 Spl load with a backwards HBWC drops them quickly.

I shot them with CBee’s, a quiet subsonic .22 Lr round. Worked just fine.

They turned out to not be easily trapped but I did catch everything else, quit when I caught the first skunk and it let me release it without spraying me.

If you try trapping I’d suggest making a funnel to the trap out of 2x4’s just above grass level. Animals that are not blind and stupid will step over or go around while the other will keep banging back and forth until they get into the trap.

The final cure for us was to get chickens, they eat all the stuff the armadillos like, so they stay out of the yard because there is no longer any food there.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I always thought they make a cool pet when I was a kid. What is their misdemeanor? Are they mean. Do they have teeth?they look pretty docile. I’m guessing they’re probably like a opossum? I’m guessing one properly place pellet behind the eye from a springer air rifle would drop it?

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    Only ones I ever killed was in and around FT Hood Texas. But never had any issue killing them right now dead in place when I was driving an M60A1 53 ton tank. No bump and no bother.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast