Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selling my 650 (This is NOT a for sale add)

Boolit Buddy

Selling my 650 (This is NOT a for sale add)

Sorry for the long winded post (actual question at the bottom if your don't want to read my ramblings), but I have processed a lot over this past weekend and am curious if anyone else has given this any thought.

To set the back story, my wife and I decided we wanted to take a look at our finances, we are doing fine and comfortable (all bills paid, decent jobs), but wanted to improve our situation. We started talking about credit cards and paying them off and cutting them up, and then learn to save more and live on cash. We spent a lot of time looking at budgets and hopefully starting down the right path. As part of the budgeting we looked at what we are spending money currently and first if it was needed (like groceries) and if it was not needed how bad do want it? We only talked about future purchases and have no expectation of the either looking at anything major we already own, especially if it is paid off. BUT I have been wanting to get a better handle on our debt for a long time and so I started applying the "do I need it or want it, and if so how much. Fortunately ...or maybe unfortunately reloading equipment holds its value fairly well, since I have been reloading for a while I have accumulated a lot of stuff that sometimes I use and some stuff I don't. I started making a mental list of my equipment and how I use it, and realize that a lot of it sitting in tubs totally unused, at some point I will get through it, that is not the item sparking this post. The item (and accompanying accessories) my mind immediately went to was my Dillon 650 loaded with case feeder, tools heads, and almost everything I can think of short of an autodrive.

If you asked me a week ago if I would consider selling my 650 I would have thought you were nuts. This weekend I was working on a new bench and was taking the 650 off the old bench (using some old material on the new bench). Before taking it off, I noticed it had about 50 44 mag cases and everything set up so I actually loaded those up just because. BUT when I was pulling that lever I really started thinking about my 650 I started to rationalize it and make a mental pros/cons list. Pros were it pumps ammo out quickly...really quickly and I have everything I would need for it (other then endless components) so there is no real cost to it sitting there...looking pretty good for Mr. 650 sticking around, but then thinking of the 50 or so rounds I just cranked out in a couple of minutes I realized I had no feelings about it, it wasn't fun or relaxing, it just was. It almost felt like a chore to be honest. I reload pistol ammo but hand load rifle ammo, I realized I like the hand loading process a lot more. So then my mind drifted to the Pros I originally listed...Fast, yup it certainly is and I won't deny that, BUT I I have ammo loaded up years ago I haven't shot yet, so maybe I do not need that much speed. If I don't need that much speed will the other presses work? I have a Hornady LNL AP (no case/bullet feeder) and a few single stage presses. I don't prime on the press and if I don't need super speed I can hand feed cases quickly enough so I can say my Hornady AP will be able to load pistol when needed or even do some rifle brass prep if I want. So I guess that Pro is neutralized. Next pro was it is paid for... yes again, and I paid cash for it a few years ago so it is not contributing to my credit cards, But if I don't need it and can happily get buy without it, does it have more value to me on my bench or as cash to reduce our credit cards, less debt wins, so I listed it (locally, please do not view this as a for sale add). I listed it on the higher end of its value with the thought that I don't have to sell it, but it will give me some wiggle room if someone wants to negotiate a bit and I will at least feel a little more justified if I have doubts down the road... but honestly not expecting any.

Hand loading at my pace is relaxing and why I originally got into reloading (at this point not sure if I load to shoot, or shoot to load)...not to hit quotas. I target shoot when I can but nothing formal or high volume. The other thing that contributed to feeling indifferent to it is actually my two kids (son is 4 daughter is 2). both love coming downstairs with me and helping out. If they are "helping" it is usually single stage stuff like depriming or loading ammo boxes, so the 650 sits idle when they are down by me. the 650 just has to much going on for me to keep an eye on them and what I am doing.

So if you are still with me, is it weird that when I really think about it I don't enjoy loading on my 650? Also, if you have downsized presses/equipment ect, how did it go? Did you miss it or glad you did it.

I have sold items I really enjoyed even though I didn’t use them at the time. I regretted it later. Like a Ford F-350 I got rid of just because I wanted some spending money. I wasn’t using the truck and it was a fuel hog. But later I have needed it on occasion and wished I had kept it. It was in really great shape. However, your situation is a little different. You CAN get by with even a single stage. Especially if you’re only doing a few rounds at a time. If you do sell it, buy something you want regarding reloading or casting. And save the rest of the money. The point is get SOMETHING for your sacrifice.
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

Boolit Buddy

Tazlaw, as far as the truck goes, I just got a new (to me) pickup in October and I want to make sure she doens't get any ideas about me going back to an Impala, lol. As far as presses go, I could probably be happy without the Hornady as well, but they have almost no resale...and it was the first press I bought so it gets to stay. I plan to buy a Lee classic cast once I sell the Dillon that I can dedicate to swaging use, my wife also mentioned wanting a new vacuum right before we made the decision to quite credit cards cold turkey so the plan is lee classic cast, vacuum and then put the rest towards the credit card.

I figure if I really miss using the 650 I can save up for a 650/750 and get one down the road once our cards are paid off.

Once your cards are paid, you’ll be able to save up using just the interest pretty quick! Of course that takes some willpower. As my dad taught me while growing up, every pay check, by yourself SOMETHING. Even if it’s just a candy bar, get something to reward yourself for your labor. Good luck on your endeavors.
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

Boolit Master
    I sold off some equipment, like you, I sat down and evaluated usage, (this wasn't loading equip I own operate an Auto Value Service Centre) since I have so much specialty equip I decided to narrow down what jobs were the ones I wanted to do and the ones I didn't want (not very profitable) I can honestly say now that I only missed it long enough to say to customer " we no longer have the equipment for that job" and if he/she is a really good customer we can still do it but just a different way. Its how comfortable you feel with a little less, just a little side note( we haven't had TV now for close to 10 yrs and we don't stream it either)

Boolit Grand Master
    If you are not using it, what is there to miss?

If it were me, I would ditch the Hornady AP but I am a pistol caliber shooter. In your case, get rid of both. For two reasons....first you hate reloading...second you do not shoot much. Priming off the press defeats the advantages of a progressive. Look at the Lee Classic Turret press. I think it will be more suited for your needs and personality,
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    I just a little side note( we haven't had TV now for close to 10 yrs and we don't stream it either)
    25 years ago, my then 12 year old son and I took our TV to the range and murdered it. Yes, we cleaned up the mess.
    Very liberating.
    No streaming either.
    Working, reading, writing, casting and reloading in the cold months, yard work and gardening in the warm months keeps me very occupied.
    When I DO watch TV it reminds me of why I murdered the TV.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Moderator Emeritus

I would expect the most you could get was 50% of new. If that went towards credit cards how much would you want paid off before you replaced your reloading equipment with the cheapest press you could find? Would you be satisfied with that press?
    As any financial adviser will tell you, stop all cc spending. Pay all you can on the one with the highest interest rate. When it is paid off tackle the next highest one. The other alternative is the highest balance.
    I don't live that way, we have a cc that has paid us back on average $800 a year. During the last 10 years I carried over a balance one month. If you are not in a position to do that don't use one. It requires carrying around every receipt from everything you spend and entering it in a log. All charges go in a ledger and are carried over as an expense in checking. I can guarantee you will feel better about yourselves and your marriage if your finances are in order. Write down your goals and review them regularly.
    I met a lady that had relocated to Western MT from Louisiana after hurricane Katrina. She was so depressed she wouldn't watch the news as it was all negative. She had no idea a storm of that size was coming. One of her first purchases was a 13" B&W TV and she watched a 1/2 hour news show every night. Be informed about the world around you.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have multiple other presses and have no desire to give up reloading. I figure the press will bring enough to cover the new vacuum and the lee classic cast with a few hundred dollars more that can go to the credit card. I am under no illusion the press will pay off the credit cards but it is a step in the right direction. Hopefully it is also practice at looking at something and understanding it's true value to me and my family. It is too easy to waste money with a credit card...I took the credit card out of my wallet this weekend to go grocery shopping. Even though I had enough it still a weird feeling. I did notice that stuff I would normally toss in the cart without thinking about I either made sure we needed it or left it on the shelf. I appreciate the ability to post here with siimilar minds and reassure I have gone way off the deep end.
    Last edited by guywitha3006; 02-10-2020 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Autocorrect

I never buy more with a credit card than I can pay off immediately.
    I use them only as a convenience.

Boolit Master
    The only suggestion I’d make is to load up a few years worth of your favorite pistol ammo before you sell it.

In the past 5 years I’ve loaded more pistol ammo than I’ve shot, a lot more, about 50 50cal ammo cans worth. I could shoot for more than 5 years without reloading another round assuming I don’t get sucked into a new caliber. Been thinking I should either put the dies in long term storage and sell the presses and roll sizer or move to a farm and build my own shooting range and shoot more. Not so much to generate cash, but to free up workshop space.

Boolit Grand Master

Reloading Rule No. 1 : Never sell anything... when you retire you might need it .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Reloading Rule No. 1 : Never sell anything... when you retire you might need it .
    Oh I don't know......I sold off moulds that I had not used in years and had duplicates for......I mean, how many 9mm, 38/357 and 44 moulds do you need? I turned them into 100 oz. of silver.
    I can cast every caliber that I shoot. Turn that unused stuff into something useful....like silver or gold.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    As much as I'd like to think about retiring, I am a solid 25-32 years away from that (I just turned 30) so I think I will have time to replace it if I need.

When I need pistol ammo I still have the LNL, not as quick as the 650 but at the rate I have been shooting lately I can certainly fill them faster then empty them if need be. Before I had the 650 I think I did 2,000 9mm casually in a weekend, I'm lucky to go through 500 rounds a month right now.

Boolit Master
    This guy for the other stuff, not the press
    https://www.daveramsey.com/
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    This guy for the other stuff, not the press
    https://www.daveramsey.com/
    Funny you should say that...that's the path we are heading down. My wife had a co-worker that raved about how it worked for them so she read the book. She asked me to read it, I read it and we both felt it wouldn't hurt to try it...she also threw in the pitch that if we can muscle through it and get to the part where our house is paid off the next thing she wants to save for is hunting land of our own...who was I to argue that��. Hunting land and having freedom was always seen as a pipe dream but I never really have it the time to consider what I need to do to make it happen. Debt free and my own hunting land was always my my "if I win the lottery" plan...hasn't worked so far but I suppose buying a ticket may increase my odds a bit.

Boolit Master
    I had to get a credit card as all my purchases were cash or debit and I showed no credit history. I very rarely use it and it's linked to my checking account for auto pay. I use a Visa logo debit card directly linked to my checking account or cash. I don't buy things if I can get away with what I have. I very rarely buy expensive equipment if I can get away with less expensive tools, especially if I won't use it often or abuse them. For example most of my tools/wrenches are mid level like Craftsman and Dewalt & Porta Cable instead of Snap On & Festool.
    Once I buy something I don't sell it. I bought it because I needed it and once it's used I got my money's worth; after that it doesn't owe me anything.
    It sounds like the 650 already paid for itself. So you get half or less of what you paid then in 20 years you buy a new one that may be less quality for 2x the price. I bet there are other ways for you to get those bills paid down and saving up.
    I'm not saying this is your situation but I see plenty of money being wasted these days by people. $300 per month for 2 cell phone's with unlimited data, $500+ month on a car lease. $250 month for phone/cable/internet with $3,000 worth of purchased movies on demand. Not only do the under 40's not cook but they don't go and pick up there food either, all those deliveries add up. You can buy a car and own it for 10yrs with little extra costs these day. "Unlimited" cell phone plans as low as $35 per phone. Seems like everyone is afraid of the dark, you don't need 10,000 watts of incandescent lights on all the time. LED's use so much less energy with better light at 1/6 of the power usage. Why do you need to turn your washing machine on from your phone? The $500 one works just as good as the $1,500 one and it won't break as fast, it's also is cheaper to replace than the repairs on the $1,500 one. $500 or $5,000 appliance still only last an average of 7yrs. Your $300 sneakers are made by the same people and materials that make the $30 pairs. Jeans with holes in them sell for $75-$200 a pair, you want jeans with holes in them buy a pair of Levi's and get to working around the house! LOL
    I all seriousness, I look at things as a cost per use type analogy. A car battery is $125 & you get 5 years out of it so it's $25 a year for 5 year of thousands of starts. A good $40 hammer will last you 40yrs or more that's $1 per year if you use it once per year you did good. A good set of snow tires are $500-$600 but they get you to and from safely for X amount of time, it's cheaper than the deductible, tow truck or loss of work, no less injury. You already own it, your young, if you use the 650 once a year that's $20 a year or less for a tool that will last you a lifetime. Good luck, Jason

Boolit Master

Is a 650 really going for half what was paid for it ? I do not use a progressive for rifle as I am not shooting competition , I do have more then a few square deal b's , and a few rockchuckers and classic cast , I like your idea of selling something you take no pleasure from using and buying the wife the vacuum , I to have younger children who like to pull the lever and load with me and I enjoy that as later in life they can remember spending the time doing something and hopefully they will learn and do it as well and pass it on to their children , paying down debt is a good thing , I drive well used vehicles and am not into show or flash , enjoy the kids when they are young as life does take its toll on us all .

Boolit Buddy

Stress levels drop and life becomes simpler when debt free. The idea of owning hunting land is a really good idea also. Good influence on how your children perceive life, and adjust to living it. Good luck

Boolit Buddy

NYFirefight357, as far as tools go, I am definitely on the same page as you. If I buy a tool for a certain purpose and use it I don't usually get rid of it. Goofy as it sounds I never "needed" the 650... I actually bought it from the swapping and selling section here a few years ago. Really the only reason I bought the 650 (as I already had a single stage press and the Lock N Load) was I saw a good deal on it and everyone that has one loves it, so I had the money and bought it, it did/does work well and I used it because it was there; but when I was in college and had the LNL and a Rock Chucker between my roommate and I. I was never short on ammo...assuming I had enough beer money to trade for components lol. As far as the price of the 650 goes I will get the money I originally paid for the press and then probably 60-90% of the cost of the accessories I bought for it through out the years.

As far as some of the other things, we aren't perfect but better than the normal as far frivolous spending. We only occasionally go out to eat/get delivery (I like to cook, and my wife usually like my cooking more then take out), I do have a truck loan (low mileage used truck, basically the package above a basic work truck), but it is not a lease (I drive for work and put about ~115,000 miles on my last vehicle in about 4 years), my wife's vehicle is a lease but when its up she wants nothing to do with another one. I never really cared about the flash or impressing others. Our bills started from student loans and kind of trickled out from there. Loans from my undergrad, my master's, and my wife's degree make a really ugly number; but we both have good jobs in our field.

Owejia, lack of stress is the end goal! It is hard to describe even though we pay the bills every month and never late or miss a payment, everything is gone at the end of the month. So the feeling of constantly spinning our wheels, and making little to no headway adds a lot of sub-conscience stress. We always just ignored money talk and each just paid "our bills" but in the last week or two my wife and I have talked more about money than we probably have the rest of our relationship combined. Just bringing it to the surface lifted a weight off both our chests and has had a good affect on the family, once credit cards and student loans start dropping I'm guessing it will keep getting better!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast