Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flintlock Winter Woods, Montana

Banned

Flintlock Winter Woods, Montana

Another fine traditional muzzleloader video from Denny Ducet ...

In Remembrance
    Nice video! I recognize one of the shooters, wearing a distinctive cap.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    Thank you.
    Makes me want to try another Flinter

Boolit Master

real men still blow down the barrel after a shot.
    old habits are hard to break.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mazo kid View Post
    Nice video! I recognize one of the shooters, wearing a distinctive cap.
    that sure narrows it down to about everyone

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    I got chastized severely for that at a match in Queensland - first and last warning the RO said -

We talked about it later - he sez "its not about safety as such - but what if someone that feeds the leftwing press takes a picture of it and puts your head and shoulders on the front page of a city rag ? headlined "shooter prevented from committing suicide by quick acting journalist" - he said it would be ok to use a blow tube - hafta admit its a better look - and that powder residue off the muzzle dont taste real nice either.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Thank you.
    Makes me want to try another Flinter
    yeah thanks RFD for posting -- made me drool some -- have not had my flinter out for months...............

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    particularly if old habits make safety sense.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been trying to talk myself into buying a Dixie Gunworks Jaegar in .54 flintlock. Not inexpensive. But it looks like a versatile rifle.

Boolit Master
    i'm sure that every one who saw the video picked up on the guy blowing down the barrel. so stupid, it will get you throwed out of most gun clubs! and i be leave rite full so. just DARWIN'S THEORY in practice. jmho.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    i'm sure that every one who saw the video picked up on the guy blowing down the barrel. so stupid, it will get you throwed out of most gun clubs! and i be leave rite full so. just DARWIN'S THEORY in practice. jmho.
    That's a "Back East" thing. Pretty much every shooter here blows down the barrel. That no-blow crap from the NMLRA developed from one of their lawyers making rules about things he didn't know about. I've never seen a documented case of a discharge doing injury, although it may have happened. Just like any other firearm related incident. I personally can tell when a rifle has been fired. They make noise and lotsa smoke. If you don't like it, stay in the east.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    Another fine traditional muzzleloader video from Denny Ducet ...

great video, makes me wanna be part of the fun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    That's a "Back East" thing. Pretty much every shooter here blows down the barrel. That no-blow crap from the NMLRA developed from one of their lawyers making rules about things he didn't know about. I've never seen a documented case of a discharge doing injury, although it may have happened. Just like any other firearm related incident. I personally can tell when a rifle has been fired. They make noise and lotsa smoke. If you don't like it, stay in the east.
    +1000... was taught to do that as a young boy over 50yrs ago, still do it & haven't seen or heard of a single bad incident from the practice.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Master

Aye, there be quite a collection of distinctive hats!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RoyEllis View Post
    +1000... was taught to do that as a young boy over 50yrs ago, still do it & haven't seen or heard of a single bad incident from the practice.
    Well, I did chip a front tooth one time during a "cut the stake" shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    particularly if old habits make safety sense.

I dunno 'bout safety, but I do know that the moisture in a shooter's breath helps keep fouling soft, and a hearty puff will help clear the firing channel (along with a pick ).

I DO miss my rocklock (an A&H Mountain Rifle), though - but I didn't miss it's weight enough to keep it.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

"why do this blowing down the barrel, are you insane?!?!?!?"

"blowing down the barrel" is the CORRECT thing to do, and done IMMEDIATELY after discharging the gun barrel yer about blow into.

the safety reason is to make sure there are no embers left down the tube after a shot is taken. don't think that can happen? well it sure enuf happened to a very well known gun writer, who wrote about his experience in muzzleloader magazine a year or so ago. he began to pour down a measured bp charge into the barrel and an ember down in the chamber area lit the charge up like a roman candle. he was hurt, but extremely lucky that no serious harm was done. a very scary experience, for sure.

the other reason for barrel blowing was previously posted in this thread - it's fouling control, keeping the bp residue soft for either a reload, or to prepare to secure the gun for some period of time before proper final cleaning can be administered.

here, "back east", almost ALL public ranges and club held trad muzzy events will have NMLRA hooks into them, one way or another, so barrel blowing is not allowed and will be grounds for dismissal from the event and/or range. yeah, thank you NMLRA for that stupidity. its like ric sez, it's a litigious thing and a way to safeguard stupid people at the expense of smart people, and another reason i dislike the NMLRA. at my club's events and matches we get around that nonsense by using a neoprene blow tube, about a foot long. when at a private range, or out in the woods, i blow away right down the tube, a free man, as God intended, amen. did i mention that i dislike the NMLRA? good.

bwana bob's rant about blowing down the barrel

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

As long is it is your "own" head(!) your pointing your rifle at...I'm in the camp that thinks a free American should do things "the way he sees fit".

Sure wouldn't want to be standing around the guy that explodes his horn as he fills his measure with his horn at the muzzle like so many do. Only to find out he didn't blow down his barrel!!

But on the other side of the coin. I once watched an elderly man, on a woods walk, have a "Pan-Flash" with no boom. Because of his habit of doing so, he lowered his rifle from his shoulder and immediately shoved his still loaded flinter into his mouth!!

That would have been a pretty graphic display for those of us standing beside our friend, if it would have scattered his mind all over our buckskins... Who says you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by freedom475 View Post
    As long is it is your "own" head(!) your pointing your rifle at...I'm in the camp that thinks a free American should do things "the way he sees fit".

Sure wouldn't want to be standing around the guy that explodes his horn as he fills his measure with his horn at the muzzle like so many do. Only to find out he didn't blow down his barrel!!

amen to that. this is how and why the ancients learned about their firearms through much trial and disastrous error, and why specific safe practices have been handed down over the centuries. now we "learn" by today's rule makers that the old ways were bad, wrong, harmful, horribly unsafe, and so in this politically and socially correct society rules are created to "protect" everyone from themselves. nah, it's not that at all. if you dig a little deeper, their last reason for such rules have nothing to do with "protecting society".

But on the other side of the coin. I once watched an elderly man, on a woods walk, have a "Pan-Flash" with no boom. Because of his habit of doing so, he lowered his rifle from his shoulder and immediately shoved his still loaded flinter into his mouth!!

blowing down the tube after a pan flash is dumb on many levels. period. you ONLY blow down after a complete discharge, as has been done for centuries. well, except the tail end of the last century and this one we're currently in. let dumb people screw up, it's how the species gets better through natural selection.

That would have been a pretty graphic display for those of us standing beside our friend, if it would have scattered his mind all over our buckskins... Who says you can teach an old dog new tricks!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Looks like a great time ! Wish it would snow here this year . The few trail walks we have here I don't do too well as I'm color blind and can only see about half the targets because there's no contrast even though most plates are painted red they still get lost in the green/brown back ground of the woods .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast