Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEE trimmer seems to be shrinking

Boolit Buddy

LEE trimmer seems to be shrinking

Been confined to a chair for the last 6 weeks from hip revision surgery, had to break everything to take old hardware out. Decided to make lemonade out of lemons, so I've been trimming a big batch of 5.56 milsurp brass I bought a few years back.

I have the simple LEE cutter with lock stud and a drill. It originally micced a bit long, so I used emery cloth to take a couple thousandths off the pin to get it to exactly 1.750. Have gone through a bit over 4,000 cases now. Have checked periodically, and all was well, until this last batch of brass. All of a sudden I'm reading 1.745

I would have thought that pin you screw into the cutter would have been pretty hardened and wouldn't wear down quite this fast. Has anyone else experienced this? I'll not toss them, this is the first loading from 1x. I think I'll just segregate them so I won't fight cannelure placement.

So, I'm still thinkin', yeah, I know, it's addicting. I micced my Lyman case guage. From the two lower recessed cuts in the ends of the guage, my electronic mic now reads 1.745 +/-. I thought it was supposed to be 1.750. Now thinkin' my mic is off. When cases fall in case guage, the case mouth is perfectly flush with the end of the guage.

I've got a real micrometer downstairs in my playroom, but is inaccessible to me at the moment, and the wife unit wouldn't know what to look for, but I'm thinkin' I'm OK to keep this trimming operation going, as guage shows proper length. Me thinks I need a new electronic micrometer.

Your thoughts welcome

In the instructions that came with my Lee trimmer it warned that when using the trimmer in a drill press and using the drill press table can wear a hole in the table. The pin is hardened steel, the drill press table is cast iron. The pin wears a hole in the cast table.
    Perhaps this is what has happened on your Trimmer. The pins runs against the stud. Check the face of the stud. It may have an indentation where the pin rides.
    On the trimmers I most are longer than the cases I try to trim. Not by much, but some cases in a batch don't cut, others partially, others fully.
    I don't trust any of the electronic measuring devices I can afford. I do have a 1" micrometer that has a digital read out as well a the lines. The digital parts is gear driven and is right on to the lines.
    I have a couple of 6" SAE calipers as well as one metric. I did pic up an electronic 6" caliper. It's ok when batteries are fresh and strong. After a bit the reading starts to wander. Measure one thing 3 times and get 3 different readings.
    It does convert from SAE to metric even with weak batteries.
    Leo
    Last edited by 44magLeo; 09-27-2020 at 04:34 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    In the instructions that came with my Lee trimmer it warned that when using the trimmer in a drill press and using the drill press table can wear a hole in the table. The pin is hardened steel, the drill press table is cast iron. The pin wears a hole in the cast table.
    Perhaps this is what has happened on your Trimmer. The pins runs against the stud. Check the face of the stud. It may have an indentation where the pin rides.
    Leo
    I thought that initially too, first thing I checked, but no wear point, it's very flat still. I say drill, it's one of those little Black and Decker type drills you keep in your kitchen desk drawer for little jobs the wife wants to do, and no drill press table here in my manchair. Just doing it by hand and trying to keep all the trimmings inside the plastic pail I have in my lap. I find a lot on my shirt too. I just keep it plugged in here permanently by the chair so it don't run down. Not near as fast RPM as say a cordless 20V DeWalt or something.

I'm thinking more and more it's my electronic mic. I'm gonna have to send her down to get the little machinist micrometer.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    Yes! It definitely wears out I’ve been through three or four of them I can’t remember. I make Makarov brass (9x18). Out of 9 Luger (9x19). Started out using the Lee trimmer in a drill like you. I found that after about 500 cases, Or if you prefer 500 mm worth of trimming, The pin was wearing out. I switch to a Lyman trimmer which I use to trim all my rifle cases. And then ultimately to my favorite ( for trimming Makaroff brass anyway) to a CH4D file trim die. I understand for trimming rifle brass and such The Lee trimmer lasts a lot longer, but still wears out a little too quickly as far as I’m concerned. I’ll stick with the Lyman trimmer for normal trimming but anything over that I’ll use a file trim die. 4 or 5 passes with a good cross cut file followed up by a pass or two with a nice single cut file make short work of that millimeter!
    Last edited by poppy42; 09-27-2020 at 05:16 PM. Reason: I hate freaking autocorrect!!!!!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I have a 4.6 or 4.8 whichever little drill. It has a 1/4 " drive so it easily uses screwdriver bits and the Lee stud fits right in. Runs about 400 rpms and trims well. Does a lot on a charge. Even has adjustable clutch settings. Got it Wal Mart for $10.
    With no wear marks on the stud and I think the pin is a needle bearing like they use in drive shaft universal joints. Lee says that's where they get the pins for decapping rods. It probably is your electronic tool. try fresh batteries.
    Leo

Is it possible you didn't have the pilot seated all the way in the cutter when you started?

Boolit Buddy
    @ poppy42 I'd love to look into a Giraud trimmer, I think they are the bee's knees, but at 65, just not ready to drop the dough on something that the wife or kids would prolly sell for $10 at a garage sale when I assume room temp.

@ 44magleo I'll have the wife unit grab a battery next time, I think I am out in the kitchen drawer basket. I think my little drill is way slower than that. A little 4 volt DC, 180 rpm. I'd like it much faster, but that's what we had.

@bazoo I put it in with a vise grips on the pilot, and my cutter is on a ball, so a good grip on both ends. I thought about that too. But, if that was the case, then I think the first few bags of a thousand might get loaded at 1.750, the rest, shorter, and just hope I catch the interface. They are bagged.

Like I said, the "alleged" short cases guage flush in the Lyman. I'll have to go down in the playroom in a few days. It's a long ways around. Gotta go out in the garage to get on my Polaris, ride it around to the basement walkout door to get into the playroom located down there. I'll grab a few of the first run cases and re-check them with the mic, and also check in the guage.

Thanks guys.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    @ poppy42 I'd love to look into a Giraud trimmer, I think they are the bee's knees, but at 65, just not ready to drop the dough on something that the wife or kids would prolly sell for $10 at a garage sale when I assume room temp.

@ 44magleo I'll have the wife unit grab a battery next time, I think I am out in the kitchen drawer basket. I think my little drill is way slower than that. A little 4 volt DC, 180 rpm. I'd like it much faster, but that's what we had.

@bazoo I put it in with a vise grips on the pilot, and my cutter is on a ball, so a good grip on both ends. I thought about that too. But, if that was the case, then I think the first few bags of a thousand might get loaded at 1.750, the rest, shorter, and just hope I catch the interface. They are bagged.

Like I said, the "alleged" short cases guage flush in the Lyman. I'll have to go down in the playroom in a few days. It's a long ways around. Gotta go out in the garage to get on my Polaris, ride it around to the basement walkout door to get into the playroom located down there. I'll grab a few of the first run cases and re-check them with the mic, and also check in the guage.

Thanks guys.
    What’s a giraud trimmer?

Boolit Grand Master

What may have happened is the pin ends finish wasn't up or square and as the hardened pin wire in to a match it shortened. The other that pops in my mind is the stud bears against the sharp edges of the cutter and while not rotating vibration may have worked the cutter edges into the pilot. .005 isnt a real large amount.

Boolit Buddy
    @ poppy42 go here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u-nYYsRlxk he has this mounted in a drill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u-nYYsRlxk
    and this the complete Giraud desk mounted set-up, but alal you really need are the heads if you have a way to drive it but higher RPMs is a must it looks like.

No joy on the batteries. still reads 1.745.

@ countrygent Didn't really follow all that, but you are right. .005 isn't a lot, and I really doubt I even see the variation in seating with cannelures. Smoothe sided projos, no problem.

Boolit Grand Master

Where the stud buts against the cutter is on the sharp edges of the cutter vibration may have allowed the stud to seat a little deeper.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Where the stud buts against the cutter is on the sharp edges of the cutter vibration may have allowed the stud to seat a little deeper.
    Gotcha now. I pulled stud off. Can't see any cuts, or wear on cutter blade, but I'll bet they are super hardened. I measured the stud while off the cutter from shoulder to end of pin. I got 1.752, yeah, I know, a slight angle there, but still, wouldn't have thought that much. I have another stud, and stuck it on the cutter. Micced the case out of that, 1.755, and it showed long in the guage by every bit of that. It's hard to distinguish the difference between .005 and .010 with the nikkid eye, but it sure looked like that case was sticking out farther than the gap I could see in my calipers of a .005 gap while holding up to the light. Saying my measure 1.755 is really 1.760, and likely my 1.745 is likely a true 1.75. Time to double check my electronic micrometer again, and maybe look at another one. I'm just kinda watched by this Nurse Ratched at home here, she wants me to get better, and not have to do this again. I may have to sent her on a liquor run and go downstairs while she's gone.

Boolit Master

I used the Lee case trimmer for years (like the one in pic below). I experienced over time the brass would incrementally be trimmed shorter. Cause was the win that extended through the flash hole; was wearing dimple into the case holder that fit into the drill. This slight dimple was the cause for the shorter cases over time.

Attachment 268422
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    ...I don't trust any of the electronic measuring devices I can afford....
    Leo
    This describes me and electronic precision measuring devices perfectly. If I can afford it, its not precise enough or repeatable enough for what I want it for.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    @ poppy42 go here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u-nYYsRlxk he has this mounted in a drill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u-nYYsRlxk
    and this the complete Giraud desk mounted set-up, but alal you really need are the heads if you have a way to drive it but higher RPMs is a must it looks like.

No joy on the batteries. still reads 1.745.

@ countrygent Didn't really follow all that, but you are right. .005 isn't a lot, and I really doubt I even see the variation in seating with cannelures. Smoothe sided projos, no problem.
    Ok Watch the video and it looks like a really cool trimmer but I’m kind of with you. Being 64 and on a Social Security budget if I had the funds to get one of those for every caliber I trimmed, including my Makarov, I have enough money to get that 357 GP 100 revolver I’ve been saving for. Definitely cool trimmer, but A little out Of my budget. Unless I win the lottery I’m gonna have to stick with my Lyman universal case trimmer for my normal cases, and My CH4D file trim die for my Makarov brass. Especially considering I’ve spent more on replacing the Lee case trimmers then I did to get my file trim die and I don’t see any way that could possibly wear out.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    I used the Lee case trimmer for years (like the one in pic below). I experienced over time the brass would incrementally be trimmed shorter. Cause was the win that extended through the flash hole; was wearing dimple into the case holder that fit into the drill. This slight dimple was the cause for the shorter cases over time.

Attachment 268422
    I haven't reached that point yet. See post #3. Although I could see it happening over time, I haven't got there yet.

I'm doing this by hand in a chair, not in a vise or on a plate, and with a little 4 volt 180 RPM drill. You can tell almost immediately when the brass quits shaving and OAL has been reached, simply with light hand pressure. I would think this would take a heck of a long time to develop much of a dimple. I could be wrong.

Boolit Master
    You need the Lee `Zip-trim` trims your cases by just pulling on the string.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    You need the Lee `Zip-trim` trims your cases by just pulling on the string.
    Well, in my predicament here, that wouldn't work at all, can't mount it to my lap. I bought the LEE power quick trim case trimmer, and just wasn't all that impressed with it, and it needs to be installed in a press, and I'm working from a chair.

And the Zip trim still doesn't alleviate the issues addressed above. By hand or by string,the stud is still gonna wear over time it appears.

Boolit Master
    been using lee trimmers for years ,no problems yet using an electric drill/ screwdriver ,but i dont press the cutter hard into the case, just let it do the work.

Boolit Master
    I just started using a Lee Case trimmer set for .308. I had been using the same set up for .223, with a different pin and case-holder of course and in that caliber it seemed to trim them a bit shorter than the recommended case trim to length. However, I was surprised that the 308 trimmer came out exactly to spec.: 2.005. No more no less!
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast