Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Powder

Boolit Mold

Shipping Powder

Has anyone lately shipped powder or primers to Hawaii? I’m moving there in a few months, and have quite a bit of both. I’d sure like to take it with me. It all the shippers I’ve talked with won’t do it. The only materials I would ship are unopened and factory sealed.

If that doesn’t work, anyone in need of powder or primers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    In order to ship powder or primers you must have a license to do so or hire someone that has a license which is very expensive. It can be done, but right now while powder and primers are cheap I’d sell and restock later.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    In order to ship powder or primers you must have a license to do so or hire someone that has a license which is very expensive. It can be done, but right now while powder and primers are cheap I’d sell and restock later.
    Powder & primers may not be cheap or readily available where your moving. Call ahead and price it out.

USMC 77, USRA 79

being in a remote alaska location, i would tell you that do what it takes to protect your interest in your hobby.. take it with you.. pay the money. you will prolly not find the availability of powder and primers as you do in the lower 48... it really is a burden to replace your collection. pay the one time fee of a freight forwarding company in seattle and just get it shipped on a barge. be done with it. either way, you are going to pay a huge premium on anything you buy locally if its even available. i would highly recommend pretending that there is NO powder or primers a available where you are going.. take what you need with you and you wont be sorry.. this is experience talking...

marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Right now powder is already becoming harder to get. The fires in Australia impacted Hodgdon's supply significantly.

Boolit Master
    Powder Valley ships to HI, but says they they may impose additional shipping charges. Give them a call.

Boolit Master
    You could also reach out to @abunito (or something like that). He’s a frequent poster and is in Hawaii.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmp4510 View Post
    If that doesn’t work, anyone in need of powder or primers?
    Not sure where you are, but I am always looking to enhance my stock. Let me know if it comes to that.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the replies and advice. I’m in Fresno California.

Boolit Master
    For your interest in buying powder and primers you could reach out (via private message "PM") to member "abunaitoo" who lives on the islands. I am sure he can give you exacting data on current price trends for both of these component groups over there. Also you could ask him about the availability of specific powders you favor as I would expect some may be less available than we usually see on the mainland. Then, please print out his reply if it only comes to you via PM so the rest of us can see the difference made by shipping costs, etc. Good luck with your relocation.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Right now powder is already becoming harder to get. The fires in Australia impacted Hodgdon's supply significantly.
    I could be wrong, but I thought since the big fire in ADI's fluffer unit back in 2012, or thereabouts, General Dynamics had taken over much of Hodgdon's smokeless powder sourcing.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    being in a remote alaska location, i would tell you that do what it takes to protect your interest in your hobby.. take it with you.. pay the money. you will prolly not find the availability of powder and primers as you do in the lower 48... it really is a burden to replace your collection. pay the one time fee of a freight forwarding company in seattle and just get it shipped on a barge. be done with it. either way, you are going to pay a huge premium on anything you buy locally if its even available. i would highly recommend pretending that there is NO powder or primers a available where you are going.. take what you need with you and you wont be sorry.. this is experience talking...
    Marko; do you make your way to anchorage or the valley from time to time? I could keep an eye on what you use. Here finding discounted powder and primers on yard sales is fairly common.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    For your interest in buying powder and primers you could reach out (via private message "PM") to member "abunaitoo" who lives on the islands. I am sure he can give you exacting data on current price trends for both of these component groups over there. Also you could ask him about the availability of specific powders you favor as I would expect some may be less available than we usually see on the mainland. Then, please print out his reply if it only comes to you via PM so the rest of us can see the difference made by shipping costs, etc. Good luck with your relocation.
    Thin Man, thanks for the recommendation. I will certainly try to contact them.

Boolit Master
    I do not advocate breaking the law, but sometimes it pays to just stay mum. I know people who merely placed a pound or two of powder in their household stuff and got it shipped. I would not ship black powder, but smokeless and primers are safe.

I am done moving for this lifetime.

Adam

Boolit Grand Master

Powder Valley would not ship to Hawaii last time I tried to order from them. JFYI - Primers run about $35.00 @ brick and powder runs from $35.00 to $55.00 @ pound depending on what type you want and which of the 3 major sources carry it.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Moderator Emeritus

Take a Carnival cruise from Los Angeles to Hawaii
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Take a Carnival cruise from Los Angeles to Hawaii
    Last time I went on Carnaval, they tried to confiscate a bullwhip purchased on the day stop over in Ensenada. I refused to relinquish the whip, stating that it was an implement of husbandry, and I did own a cattle ranch. This went on for an hour of debate before the first officer of the ship came down to decide the issue, and agreed to allow me to keep it in my room, as long as I didn’t use it on the ship.

If it had been powder or primers, I’d still be a resident of Ensenada.

Banned
    I would hide the powder in my luggage in vacuum sealed packages so sniffers won't find it. I would not do that with primers...to dangerous. Hey.
    It might get me in a lot of hot water but very unlikely to get caught.

Boolit Grand Master
    Primers and powder can be shipped to hawaii.
    It needs to go through a licensed dealer.
    Has to go by ship.
    The cost is really high, so it behooves you to have the maximum amount on the pallet.
    The shippers add on a "special handling charge" for primers and powders.
    Powder and primers cannot be shipped on the same pallet.
    But the cost is kind of hit and miss.
    I'm guessing it depends on who's working at the shipper at the time.
    Have a friend who brings in real Black Powder for us.
    Sometimes the shipping is really high, sometimes not to bad.
    Friend doesn't make anything on it, so cost of shipping is divided up per bottle.
    I have no idea who he gets it from.
    Asked him if he would bring in smokeless powder once.
    He checked and it wasn't worth it.
    Couldn't fill up the pallet.
    Might try again later.
    We even have a hard time from island to island.
    Same rules apply.
    But from what I've heard, a few have shipped person to person.
    Cost was very high.
    Hope this helps

Boolit Grand Master
    Too bad you couldn't just rent a large boat and take over there all your stuff yourself!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast