MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: 300 blackout ammo checker

Boolit Master

300 blackout ammo checker

pros and cons of various ammo/case gauge checkers. Looking at the TSB ammo checker. any feedback on this one or other brands?
    Last edited by mto7464; 02-09-2020 at 05:06 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Like a case gauge?

I’ve always used LE Wilson and Dillon gauges. I still check ammo in the chamber I’m gonna be shooting it out of.

I have a Lyman for 7,62x54R. I got it because some of the once fired brass I picked up wouldn't chamber without a bit too much effort even after FL sizing. These were a too tight fit in the ammo checker.
    I bought a Lyman Shell Sizer. Made like the Lee whack a mole kits. After pushing the tight case into and out of this die with a bench vise they are an easy drop fit in the ammo checker. Well except for a few that had burrs on the rims.
    I found this by placing the rim end of the case into the checker, some were a snug fit. I felt the rim and found the burrs.
    I have a set of diamond jewelers files. A few strokes on these burrs fixed them right up.
    The cases that were a tight fit in my rifle I marked with a Sharpie all over to see were the tight spots were. At the shoulder and at the base is were I saw the Sharpie color was gone. This was even after the FL sizing.
    Did the same after the pass through the Lyman Shell Sizer. No Color was scuffed off.
    I guess the FL die I have works fine with brass fired in my rifle but not in some other rifle. I guess that means my chamber is a bit on the snug side, not a bad thing to have in an old military rifle. Mine is a Mosin Nagant 91/30 built in 1942. I assume it's all original. The numbers on the receiver, bolt and butt plate match. Seems to shoot well. Need to work with it more. With te open sights I get around 4 inches at 100. Need new eyeglasses, sights a bit blurry.
    Leo
    Leo