Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USPS Regional Rate Boxes

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    You are in Colorado You Shipped to Georgia..... I guess you don't understand "Regional Rate Boxes" 3 zone max for savings! Once you cross the Mississippi You loose!
    You got to learn how and when to use them
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    You are in Colorado You Shipped to Georgia..... I guess you don't understand "Regional Rate Boxes" 3 zone max for savings! Once you cross the Mississippi You loose!
    I have YET to find any kind of map, or chart, or ANY explanation AT ALL about the zones - what they are, where they are, pricing from this zone to that zone - ANY damn information. And the people at our Post Office are more clueless than me. It's obviously a product/service they don't want to push.

I'll just use the "A" boxes to pack brass inside the MFRB boxes, to "double bag" them for damage protection.

Boolit Master
    Rondog If you go to google and type in Domestic Zone Chart you will get a page where you type in your zipcode and enter it
    you will then generate a "zone chart" for your zipcode Then save it as a pdf Then use your zone chart to figure out what zone you would be shipping to!
    Then use the Regional Rate chart posted above to figure out the cost
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    I’ve shipped them from the West Coast to the East Coast. Depending on weight, they’re still a good value. Even at the farthest region they’re still cheaper than a medium flat-rate box, not much savings, but still some.

It stinks that they have to make it so difficult to use them.

Yeah, when I tried two different RRB "A"'s to GA, and each was nearly $25, but if I put them in a MFRB it dropped to $15.50, that was, um - eye-opening, to put it mildly. As is, WTH am I even trying?

So, people are going to be receiving some very well packed brass for awhile.....

Boolit Master
    The Regional Rate boxes were not meant for the average consumer that is why you can't get supplies or the service at a regular post office window.
    It was made for commercial shipping and you need an online usps account. This way you can offer some of your near by customers a lower price for shipping as compared to those that are farther away. It works very well but you have to know when and how to use it properly

Banned

Here is the thing. 5 years ago it was WAY cheaper to use these boxes. But they found out everyone was using these more than the Flat Rate boxes and were losing money. They redid the zones. There used to be only 5. They added zones and upped the cost. They have redid the zones 3x's and each time it makes you use the regular flat rate boxes.

I have switched over to the padded envelopes you can get way more than a small box in it and it is the same price. Almost.
    Last edited by tomme boy; 02-13-2020 at 03:16 PM.

Boolit Master

I just did an estimate on USPS.com, for an 8lb package from Portland, OR to Portland, Maine. It comes to $15.05 for a MFRB, and $12.10 for a regional Box A, coast to coast.

I think if it will fit in an A box, it’s still worth while to have a couple around, and print labels online. You all do what you want, but the math still works for me.

It sounds like the reason they wanted to charge $25 to ship one was because the post office kiosk didn’t recognize the box, and was charging you full retail by weight. That seems ridiculous to me. If I can easily print out postage online, they should be able to program a kiosk in the post office to provide the same service.

Boolit Master
    I'm Done here Can't teach those that can't learn!
    Last edited by JWFilips; 02-14-2020 at 09:34 PM.

Boolit Master

Am I missing something???

I didn't mean to offend. I just wanted to point out that even shipping clear across country, regional boxes aren't so bad a deal as some of you all seem to think. Am I wrong somehow? Show me the numbers. If it's under 15 pounds and fits in a Regional A box, it's a better deal than an MFRB no matter where you're sending it. That's a fact. I'm certainly not a commercial shipper, and it's easy for me.

It's not hard to set up an online USPS account. It doesn't cost a thing, and you don't need anything special to do it. It's SO much easier than standing in line at the PO. It takes seconds to request next day pick-up for Priority boxes, and they pick them up at your front door.
    Last edited by fatelk; 02-14-2020 at 12:40 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12