RepackboxInline FabricationADvertise hereRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision

Thread: My liquid xlox is more like paste now

My liquid xlox is more like paste now

I recently poured my first cast boolits went to tumle lube and it's in a paste form now.
    I scooped a small amount into my shaking tub and put a little brake cleaner to thin it
    Up a little and and applied it to the batch of boolits.

Should I buy a new bottle? If not what is the best "thinning" method?

Boolit Buddy
    50/50 with odorless mineral spirits. Warm it up by setting the bottle in some hot water for 10 minutes before you mix it.

JM

I add oderless mineral spirits till it is like karo syrup when it gets that way. Drop a 9mm boolit in the bottle as an agitator.
    Last edited by Minerat; 02-09-2020 at 04:26 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JM7.7x58 View Post
    50/50 with odorless mineral spirits. Warm it up by setting the bottle in some hot water for 10 minutes before you mix it.

JM
    If the xlox is stored in cooler temps it does get "thicker". Warming up as quoted works very well. However, if the distillant in it has evaporated then add the mineral spirits. I'd try warming first.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Better than just sitting it with mineral spirits search out Ben’s liquid lube! It’s alox, Johnson’s or LudeMarks liquid wax (proly spelled ludemark wrong cause I didn’t look it up), and mineral spirits. I don’t have the percentages can’t remember them off the top my head even though I’ve made it a bunch of times I always have to look it up. so if you’re interested the formula is readily available on the forum. Personally I think it works 100 times better than straight a locks it’s not as sticky not as messy you don’t use as much and it dries easily in an hour or two as long as you don’t put too much on. It should be about the consistency of Cola
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    If the xlox is stored in cooler temps it does get "thicker". Warming up as quoted works very well. However, if the distillant in it has evaporated then add the mineral spirits. I'd try warming first.
    And, if you don’t add the mineral spirits, a few minutes using your wife’s old hair dryer to warm up your bullets will help the lube cover and flow. Not all of us live in sunny Arizona like Larry.

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, alox does thicken with time, even in sealed bottles. I normally thin with mineral spirits (paint thinner) to the consistency of cheap pancake syrup, mebbe a bit thinner as I don't use much on my bullets. Same with 45-45-10. I usually dip lube because I don't like brown noses...
    Last edited by mdi; 02-12-2020 at 12:14 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!