WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Why cut down a seating die?

Boolit Buddy

Why cut down a seating die?

I only load for 1 belted magnum(7mmRemMag),and I bought my dies used,They are an old set of RCBS,and are in great shape,and seen to have been taken care of,except for the fact that the seating die has been shortened some.I have a feeling it has something to do with the fact that it is for a belted case,but can't figure out why..I wonder if some of you may know the reason..Thanks

They were probably trying to size the case as close to the belt as possible. Someone makes (or made) a die for that specific purpose.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    They were probably trying to size the case as close to the belt as possible. Someone makes (or made) a die for that specific purpose.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Thanks Fred,It does make some sense to work on the sizing die,but I can't figure out why the seating die would need cut down.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cYy0fRu.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	256382

Boolit Master
    If they full length resized, and had a bullet with a cannelure they wanted to crimp into, it may have been a bit long to get it in the short opening of their press.
    You know how it is trying to slip a bullet up into the die and then set it on the mouth of the case with 7 mag. If they were trying to seat and crimp at the same time it would be a real pain. And I have run into brass with large belts.
    Keep in mind that 7 mag goes in lever and autoloaders. The brass gets worked FAST when you full length resize every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Thanks Fred,It does make some sense to work on the sizing die,but I can't figure out why the seating die would need cut down.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cYy0fRu.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	256382
    Ah, somehow I misread and thought it was the sizing die. Perhaps it was a crimping issue, especially if they had trimmed their brass shorter than normal, like for a chamber that needed shorter neck length.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Guys.

Heck, using the lee hand press and seating 30-06 I have to ease the bullet tip in the seating die if I'm crimping. If there is a cannelure I generally seat to it and crimp.