Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Puff-Lon ballistic filler

Puff-Lon ballistic filler

Anybody use Puff-Lon ballistic filler?

Stuff snake oil? Or worthwhile? Seems Handloader magazine has a writer or two that have supported it (for what that's worth, Handloader is and always been a little shilly).

It seems like like a sound idea to me, however. It seems like it might be a worthwhile product for black-powder volume cartridges running smokeless...like 45 Colt, 38 and 44 Special, 45-70 etc.

works really well in 45-70 with cast...with some loads the extreme velocity spread is very low, velocity is higher and accuracy improves... never found it to be worth the bother in pistol cases...

Boolit Grand Master

I've used it and tested it extensively. It does work well as a filler in rifle cartridges with loading density less than 80%. I do not use it with the faster burning pistol/shotgun powders [bullseye, Red Dot, Unique, and similar burning rate powders]. I also find no need for it in pistol cartridges as using an appropriate powder is more effective.

As to the general use of a filler, I use a Dacron (polyester) filler in many rifle cartridges with cast bullets when using the slower burning pistol/shotgun smokeless powders [2400, 4227, 5744, 4198, etc.] where appropriate [usually with light to medium weight bullets for the cartridge]. I also use the Dacron filler in rifle cartridges with medium to slow burning powders [RL7 up through 4831, RL22 when load density is less than 80%] with medium to heavy bullets for the cartridge.

I find the Dacron is much less expensive, easier to use and much less messy. I buy the Dacron as "batting" by the yard, usually 5/8 to 1" thick. I then cut it into 3/4 - 1" strips and then cut those into smaller "chunks of the size appropriate to fill the air space between the powder and bullet in the cartridge being loaded. Simple, quick and easy to use.

However, Pufflon does work as well as Original filler.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Specifically is there any evidence of the other claims such as lubricating and reducing fouling being true?

Boolit Master
    An expensive solution to non-existent problem.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    Specifically is there any evidence of the other claims such as lubricating and reducing fouling being true?
    Not that I've noticed as I use a very good lube and have minimal "fouling" as such and haven't notice Pufflon or the other fillers reduce that. The may provide a better seal and reduce gas cutting though.

The benefits to using a filler with appropriate cast bullet loads are well known and proven.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla