Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersPBcastcoRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: nipple size for Gr Mountain T/C Hawken dropin barrel

Boolit Master

nipple size for Gr Mountain T/C Hawken dropin barrel

I got a new 54 cal GM slow twist dropin for my '80's T/C Hawken yesterday. Took it to the range, and had some 777 that I wanted to try that I've had a while. All I had was hang fires. I was using standard #11 caps and the nipple supplied on the barrel. I have since read that I probably should have expected that. Anyway, I noticed the nipple on the original barrel was shorter, and has a much bigger flash hole. I don't remember if it is a short T/C nipple or if I replaced it years ago. I decided to swap them as part of my quest for more reliable ignition, as switch to Pyrodex. The T/C nipple fits slightly looser in the GM than the GM nipple does, but it tightens up when fully seated. My question is: are these nipples supposed to be interchangeable. The GM nipple fits the T/C slightly tighter that it's original nipple does too, but it goes in an seats fully.
    Last edited by T-Bird; 02-10-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Mine was 1/4 x 28tpi.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    Mine was 1/4 x 28tpi.
    That"s what it calls for with (black powder) the problem goes away /Ed

Boolit Master

Yeah Edward I have a little real black, but I really can't get it anywhere close to me. I used Pyrodex for decades with no probs in a Renagade I used to have, and a custom gun I used to have and never really had any ignition probs. I took the gun to the range today and after several caps I finally got the first Pyrodex charge to light (with no ball) then shot 10 or so rounds with no hang fire. I'm disturbed now because the Pyrodex did the same thing initially that the 777 did but once it got going, it had no issues.I may have been lucky, but I've never had any issues getting Pyrodex to ignite in other guns. My caps are old (10+ years), maybe they lost some punch. For that matter, my Pyrodex is old. I got out of muzzleloading about 15 yrs ago because I could no longer see the sights. I found an old T/C peep sight in a store for my Hawken and I'm in business now. But that's why my stuff is old. For that matter, I'm old!

Boolit Master
    Your original TC nipple may just be worn a bit. I typically replace the nipples on my percussion guns every year, just because. The ignition hole erodes a bit every time you fire the gun, and will eventually cause problems. It's cheap insurance to replace them every year.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    Yeah Edward I have a little real black, but I really can't get it anywhere close to me. I used Pyrodex for decades with no probs in a Renagade I used to have, and a custom gun I used to have and never really had any ignition probs. I took the gun to the range today and after several caps I finally got the first Pyrodex charge to light (with no ball) then shot 10 or so rounds with no hang fire. I'm disturbed now because the Pyrodex did the same thing initially that the 777 did but once it got going, it had no issues.I may have been lucky, but I've never had any issues getting Pyrodex to ignite in other guns. My caps are old (10+ years), maybe they lost some punch. For that matter, my Pyrodex is old. I got out of muzzleloading about 15 yrs ago because I could no longer see the sights. I found an old T/C peep sight in a store for my Hawken and I'm in business now. But that's why my stuff is old. For that matter, I'm old!
    To me that sounds more like a bit of residual oil. Try storing your gun muzzle down.

Hey Guys,

Just checked the one we purchased, 1/4-28. Also checked the length, it matches the original TC nipple.

I must add, a few years back I upgraded from my 1978 Thompson Center Hawken to a Lyman Great Plains Hunter, the one with 1-32 twist (I just couldn't go in-line). Then I passed the old Hawken down to my son, the rifle & one nipple that I still had. I had used the spare on my Pedersoli 32 cal. Pennsylvania Flintlock when I installed a Drum & Percussion Lock. I figured I'd better get him a few extra nipples. I purchased them directly from Thompson Center (TC #7070), but they were about .100" shorter than the originals. I questioned it at the time but they assured me that they would work. Did they actually change the nipple length or did they just sell me what was left? I didn't realize at the time that Thompson Center had been sold & didn't even build a side lock anymore. The Hawken does shoot with these shorter ones but the hammer rests at an angle and I haven't tried the Pedersoli. I did purchase some Treso Ampco nipples (11-50-01) which do match the original TC's so these are what I'm using now, the short ones are left in the junk drawer.

AntiqueSledMan.
    Last edited by AntiqueSledMan; 02-09-2020 at 07:44 AM. Reason: part numbers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    To me that sounds more like a bit of residual oil. Try storing your gun muzzle down.
    I agree Mega, I swabbed the bore with 2 dry patches before I left for the range like I've always done and popped a couple caps before putting in the powder charge. I always shoot 1 load with no ball just to be sure it all works. With other guns I haven't had this much difficulty getting ignition with these preparation methods.

Boolit Master
    Are you taking a .22 brush with a small patch on it and going into the small chamber in the breech plug? I always spray some brake cleaner down my barrel, then run a patch thru it, a second one on the ramrod flush against the breech plug,and pop a couple of caps, which will blow any residue or oil into the patch and then removed from the bore, and point it down towards the ground and pop another cap or two thru it pointed towards a leaf, and if its clear it will blow the leaf out of the way, only takes a minute or two. The other advice listed above is good also. For the record, it has been my experience that Pyrodex and 777 both draw a lot more moisture than black powder, and both is harder to ignite. I use BP in all my traditional guns and BH209 in my TC inlines, no issues with either.

Boolit Master

I did the brake cleaner thing yesterday and it was much better, first shot was slight hang fire but rest were fine. The barrel seems to shoot as well as I can shoot it.

Boolit Man
    Get one of them Hotshot TC replacement nipples . They work great in my TC side hammers.

Boolit Master

Ordered one yesterday Mac. Along with an unbreakable ramrod.

Boolit Grand Master

Ordered one yesterday Mac. Along with an unbreakable ramrod.
    I hope that wasn't one of those Track of the wolf "unbreakable" Delrin rods. I've seen spaghetti noodles with more backbone.

T-Bird, like you I also have a TC Hawken and one thing I always check prior shooting the first round of the day ( Especially when I load for hunting) is to remove the nipple to ensure that the powder is in the fire channel directly below the nipple. I do this by slightly tilting the nipple side of the rifle towards the ground and tapping the stock on the opposite side with my hand. As mentioned above by Koger, if there is any oil in TC's patented breech or the fire channel the powder will stick to it and not flow into these areas. I hope this helps.

Firing a load with no ball does nothing but make fouling Brake clean though the nipple will get the oil out. I've left one loaded for a year, locked it up in the safe and forgot it, went off just fine. That was with real black
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master

It was a Delrin, mega! Oh well, we'll see. The load with no ball is only to be sure it will go off Boogie. It serves that purpose.

Boolit Master
    I too never liked T/Cs nipples. {Too small for fat fingered hands.} So I switched to Knight Red Hot #11 nipples early on which capped up RWS Magnum #11's. Knights Nipple: They sit a little taller in a snail and are easier to cap >for me. But they do limit nipple to hammer free space but the trade off is: they seldom if ever miss fire. These days my nipple preference?

Currently: Have swapped-out those Red Hots for Mag Spark 209 nipples in all my larger bored rifles. Mag Sparks work extremely well with all substitute powders but surely are over kill in ignition for Homemade or Gorex Black use. If possible when having #11 nipples screwed in place always buy (Magnum type: #11 caps) for a {sure} fired-up ignition in all sidelocks.

Tip : Put a little Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant" on your nipple thread i.e.__ protects the nipple and threading in the Snail/drum _ from corrosion & rust.

Boolit Grand Master

It was a Delrin, mega! Oh well, we'll see. The load with no ball is only to be sure it will go off Boogie. It serves that purpose.
    If nothing else, it makes a good cleaning rod.

Boolit Master

I got it yesterday, it's a little "whippy" but if I choke up on it, I think it 'll work.

Boolit Master

Yeah mega, It'll be my cleaning rod, after trying to use it for a ramrod.