Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rcbs 38 150 kt

I magine they got tired of the screws backing out and replaced them with pins. I have had a screw come out and fall into the pot. Whooped out the leatherman and put her back in place.

Moderator Emeritus

My RCBS molds have pins like those shown in post 14. Make absolutely sure those pins don't have roughed over allen openings. All my RCBS handles attached with allen screw heads.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Since RCBS went to those pins, their currently made handles now have smaller holes which will not freely accept an 8-32 screw.

New RCBS handles usually need their holes drilled out larger for use with molds which use the conventional screw.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TomAM View Post
    Since RCBS went to those pins, their currently made handles now have smaller holes which will not freely accept an 8-32 screw.

New RCBS handles usually need their holes drilled out larger for use with molds which use the conventional screw.
    I'm not convinced that's true. The older mold with conventional screws from post 14 will attach just fine to any of the RCBS molds I've purchased new in the past 3 years. Perhaps there are some production tolerances that have caused issues for you?
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Their handle production tolerances have definitely gotten sloppy, with both hole size and location.

A significant percentage of their new handle holes are smaller than the .169" used for #8 screws.

I have access to a very large sampling of new handle specs, since I get feedback from hundreds of customers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TomAM View Post
    Their handle production tolerances have definitely gotten sloppy, with both hole size and location.

A significant percentage of their new handle holes are smaller than the .169" used for #8 screws.

I have access to a very large sampling of new handle specs, since I get feedback from hundreds of customers.
    That is interesting to know. My experience being a small, anecdotal sample of 3-4 handles (all of which mate fine with your mold). Yours being a statistically significant sample size!

Thanks for that insight. Something for me to look out for in the future.
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    Looks like-someone fitted Lyman handles to the mold, in the one pic from the side the handle portion looks awfully uneven, like it was ground down to thin it.

Boolit Master

I am no help in identifying the handles. I use KAL, NOE, and MP Mold after markets. This is the only RCBS mold I have ever seen. As far as Lyman handles the molds I have came with nutcracker styles.

Truth be told, when I got the package in the mail I thought the handles were not included. The handles are the smallest I have ever seen. I have a HG50 two cavity that has what I believe to be original handles that are original. When I get it all pulled apart I will update a picture of the handles.

Am I correct in guessing the KT mold is an older version of this type of mold? Appreciate all that have weighed in.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Moderator Emeritus

I have not seen the KT cataloged since the early 2000's. The one I saw was a very close copy of my 358477 Lyman, though I have seen a number of versions of that one. I would consider that mold to me set to those handles and use it accordingly assuming a decent fit. The handles look like Lyman single cavity handles with the evidently drill to fit RCBS pattern. The sc handles were closer together than the dc at the narrowest point. I think someone just didn't want to buy RCBS handles.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

You're lucky. Looks like a spring pin instead of a roll pin. May be able to extract easily. A roll pin would be very hard to extract.
    Were, it mine, I'd cut a couple of solid pins, drill and tap it for set screws and drive on./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Beagle sad tap and that brought my mind to full steam. If ya had a tap of appropriate size you could tap the hole and run a screw in there with a bushing on it to make something like a broken shell extractor. That would work slick I bet.

Boolit Master

Yes pins are hollow tubes with longitudinal slit length of the pin. I probably misspoke calling it a roll pin. I would guess it would appear similar to 358477 as that mold does seem to have at least three different styles that I am aware of. It will be interesting once I get it cleaned up a bit and test a few casts. I am certainly interested in the diameter of COWW alloy as my 358665 teeters on .358 diameter. Ever so slight resistance on the .358 sizing die.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Banned
    "Yes pins are hollow tubes with longitudinal slit length of the pin...."

That is a roll pin

I thought a roll pin was the type that was a made like a roll of paper towels. If you try to drive them they crush and mushroom badly.

Not to hijack this thread, but would someone be willing to measure the 38-150-kt bullet for me. I want the measurement from base to the top of the crimp groove.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but would someone be willing to measure the 38-150-kt bullet for me. I want the measurement from base to the top of the crimp groove.
    Are you looking for the "KT" specifically, or the currently branded 38-150-SWC? I don't know if there are dimension differences between the two, but could certainly get a measurement for the latter when I return home this evening.
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    Are you looking for the "KT" specifically, or the currently branded 38-150-SWC? I don't know if there are dimension differences between the two, but could certainly get a measurement for the latter when I return home this evening.

I checked my book and it is indeed the 38-150-SWC I need. If you would measure that I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to find something similar to help with the lee 358-140-SWC load development.

Banned
    I thought a roll pin was the type that was a made like a roll of paper towels. If you try to drive them they crush and mushroom badly.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_pin

Boolit Master

I checked my book and it is indeed the 38-150-SWC I need. If you would measure that I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to find something similar to help with the lee 358-140-SWC load development.
    Base to top of crimp groove is 0.360". Bullet length is 0.675". Top of crimp groove, in this case is the bottom edge of the top band as it angles into the crimp groove. So .360 would be the max depth that the heel would seat below the case mouth.

~Thorin Oakenshield

Taterhead, thank you. I measured my bullets and they are .355.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast