PBcastcoLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rcbs 38 150 kt

Boolit Master

Rcbs 38 150 kt

Just recently won this mold on eBay the other day. It arrived yesterday and I got to looking at it and noticed that instead of screws holding the mold halves to the handles it had roll pins holding it together. I assume this is something that got changed after it left RCBS? My first RCBS mold so I do not how they use to come from the factory. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

My RCBS molds have threaded screws going into the block halves.

Somebody must have modified it, its real old, or something new.

If the holes don't go all the way through the blocks, and if they're flush,
    the roll pins could be a real pain to get out, or be permanently married to those handles.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned

Any pics?

Banned
    My RCBS molds have solid pins that are retained by small threaded plugs.
    Perhaps someone lost those parts and substituted roll pins ?

Banned
    If they are roll pins I would attempt to remove them and see if the mold can be returned to its original configuration. RCBS will likely send you those small parts for free.

Moderator Emeritus

I have two of this mould, and am confused (my brain not so sharp ) re your query. Some moulds have a long machine screw which will go through an unthreaded, slightly larger hole, above the milled trough for handle, with the hole below threaded -- to hold said screw (and, the handles) in place. I have a few moulds where -- instead of the long screw as I just described, pins are dropped in, with the top (above the trough) threaded for a grub screw, which holds these handle-holding pins in place. I have difficulty (ref. again, my brain) visioning just roll pins from top to bottom; one of my challenges oft' encountered is the necessity of my enlarging the holes in mould handles, with the provided hole as acquired just about "kissing" its edge...
    Frankly, I do not use these moulds very much, as -- like many other RCBS moulds -- they only (my experience) seem to cast full size when I use pure linotype, and seem to be a hair too skinny with my (mystery) alloys in pot. (On the other hand -- with linotype -- they do cast gorgeous bullets!)
    Might you post a photo?
    Thanks, and BEST!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

I have or have had several RCBS molds, from back in the 70's to present and all of them have screws for the handles. Its common for the small size hex to get stripped out making it difficult to change handles. It sounds like this happened to yours and the previous owner modified it to work.

Banned
    I agree with lightman. It sounds like someone substituted roll pins for the original pins and grub screws.

Boolit Master
    I’ve bought several used RCBS moulds that came with pins and short screws. I assumed they use to produce them that way.

Boolit Master

I've got a couple of RCBS molds that use a solid pin and a short set screw to hold them in place.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Sounds like it's been changed by a previous caretaker. Doesn't seem to have a grub screw option for handle screws. Needs some TLC before casting, vent lines have considerable gunk, and top plate needs raised surface addressed before use. Fortunately the cavities look pretty clean. Appreciate those that commented. Have a great day.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Banned
    Just a suggestion, but I would consider using an easy-out (broken screw extractor) and try to pull those pins out. I can't tell from the picture if those are grub screws that have the internal hex stripped out or if they are roll pins. Either way, I would want to attempt to pull it apart.
    Worse case scenario, those handles become a permanent part of those mold blocks.

Boolit Master

I bought an RCBS Mold off of fleabay a couple of years ago.
    First "new" RCBS Mold in twenty years. Took it apart to clean it, removed handle screws and one of those pins fell out. Lost the 1st pin, wasn't expecting it.

Called RCBS, was told all their molds have handle attachment system that way.
    Pins and plug screws.
    RCBS sent me 3 sets of pins and plug screws. That's the way they make them these days.

Got a NIB .452-225-CAV from fleabay 2 days ago. It has pins w/plug screws for the handles.
    I have RCBS handles from the LATE 1970's through the early 2000's. All of My RCBS molds fit all the handles I have, regardless of full handle screws or pin & plug screws.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Congrats on the new mold. I have a more recent version of that profile, the 38-150-SWC. It casts a great bullet.

For the benefit of a visual, here is a pic of the two different styles of handle attachments.

The left is newer, circa 2016. The other was bought secondhand from this board, so I'm unsure of its vintage. The pins/screws are interchangeable with either mold.

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

The way I'd approach it would be to clean the mould best I could and use it a while and see if the pins back out with use. If I was set on removing them, I'd try a couple things. First I'd probably take a punch and modify it to have a small hook / ledge on the end and see about getting it below the pin. Then I'd grab the punch with a vise and see about driving the block off with a wooden mallet.

Or, I'd clean the inside well and JB weld a drill bit in the center and try to tap it out.

Boolit Master
    That’s my favorite PB mould for .38/.357.

Taterhead is correct. They came both ways. And that bullet is a very good one.

If it works why mess with it?

Boolit Buddy
    Those look an awful lot like Lyman handles

Boolit Buddy
    I am with Tim. Those are not RCBS handles. They look like Lyman. I didn't realize that Lyman handles could be made to fit RCBS moulds. The roll pins are probably how they made the handles fit.

Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast