WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee 358-140-SWC in 357 magnum

Well I have acquired a copy of the RCBS 38-150-SWC, which correlates to the lee 358-140-swc in that the amount of bullet below the crimp groove is almost identicle. I've worked loads up (for the Lee 358-140-SWC) using the RCBS data going all the way to 18.0 grains of 296 (which is over the RCBS data but with a lighter bullet so use at your own risk). Nothing spectacular accuracy wise, 2.5" at 25 yards but I'm still working with it.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 07-01-2020 at 12:49 AM.

FWIW - I had less than positive results with 4227 in the 357. Was using a 160gr boolit, pretty full case of powder with a heavy crimp and still had unburnt powder all over the place. I found IMR 4227 works great in 44’s and rifles but didn’t seem to work well in the 357.

I know its not a powder you listed but if you can lay hands on a jug of 2400 that’s what I found makes the 357 sing at magnum velocities. I’ve had good luck with 296 and 180gr cast but never tried it with lighter boolits. Will be following to see what you sort out.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Thanks Rainier.

I've worked with 2400 in the past and loved it. It's tough to find though.

4227 isn't my go to by any means but I bought a pound 5 years ago when things were scarce so I figure I might as well try it.

Now that I have the RCBS 38-150-SWC my experimenting with the Lee has been a little slowed but I'm working with both.

Boolit Buddy
    4227 in my opinion is an excellent powder for magnum performance . BUT ----- it does require a " full " magnum primer . I don't use primers like the large pistol Winchester primers or the Remington LP primers . I always use CCI magnum primers with it and load to the max . Regards Paul

I took a look in my little notebook and see that I came up with a load for that boolit. 4 gr's bullseye in a .38 special and 12gr's 2400 in .357.

In the notes I noted that thy both hit about the same POI at 25 yards. and that it was a lite mag load.

If I mess with this boolit again I'm going to try BE-86. I tried it with a LBT 150 OWC when I couldn't get 2400 and liked it. I may save the 2400 for 160's and up and use the BE-86 for 150' and lighter in .357.

In.38's it's a good plinking load in fact I think it shot better for me then wadcutters have.

4227 is to slow for .357. This is the first powder I ever used. There wasn't enough room for all the powder they showed in the loading books. I'm thinking that the guy who first started me loading picked this powder so I couldn't over load it.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, AlaskaMike, a little 44 mag. history.
    Sierra in 1985 listed 23.2 grains of 2400 max with a 250 grain FMJ. Hornady in their third edition listed 22.4 grains as max for their 240 JHP. Speer listed 22.4 grains for their 240 grain bullets also in 1979. Given that they (Hornady, Speer, Sierra) were loading to an OAL of 1.610 as opposed to Lyman's 1.710, one can see where the difference comes in. That load is hot, but it is not a grenade with the pin pulled waiting to explode. (That said, if my man card possession is dependent upon firing more than a couple of those from any revolver less than 50 ounces in weight, I will cheerfully return it. I shot up a few boxes of that very load in my first Ruger, but dropped back to Elmer's 22 grain load for reasons of comfort. They are pretty fierce.)

One has to remember that the .357 and the .44 magnum's both got a haircut back in the 90's. Neither are loaded to their former SAAMI pressure levels. Today the SAAMI MAP'S are 36,000 psi as opposed to the 45,000 CUP formerly allowed (IIRC). Indeed, the MAP for the 357 is now jus about 10% less than that of the 357 SIG. I have read a number of explanations as to why the change, but I suspect the reason was ($$$). Smith and Wesson being tired of repairing M-19's and M-13's that cracked the bottom of the forcing cone. Others are free to interject whatever rationale most appeals to them, but I believe in the old adage, "follow the money." It is usually the best explanation.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 07-02-2020 at 11:38 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    The only powders I have to work with are what I listed. I run unique through the my lee perfect powder measure acceptably.

I was hoping for some 296 suggestions but I'm content to get a bullet suggestion to help load work up with unique. I want other moulds but right now this is what's in the budget.
    Speer reloading manual #11, page 407.
    140 gr, 296, start 17.7, max 19.7, magnum primer. 1316-1460 fps.
    I load the Lee 140 gr. swc, pc. with 17 grs. It hits to point of aim from my Ruger 3" Speed Six with fixed sights, and is very accurate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12