Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Help with Lee mold

Help with Lee mold

I got a Lee 2 cavity 452-228-1R from Midsouth last weekend. Cast some boolits with it and they turned out good and shot well.

Problem is the mold and mold handles are real loose. I have to set it on the bench or cup my hand under it to get it close correctly. Is there any way I can tighten them up up? The bolt on the handles is good and snug and has been lubed with Bull plate spru lube. I have other Lee dies and there is a little play between the handles and the mold but not like this one.

There are pins on the bottom of the mold do I need to drive them in more?

Thought I'd ask here before calling Lee.

Thanks
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Boolit Master

I have found, on the Lee molds, loose molds cast real well. If you close the sprue plate first, then close the mold, the issue might be solved.
    At least two of my molds work that way.
    Untill I tried that, it was frustrating indeed.

Boolit Mold
    Try spraying your Lee molds with silicon lube after use once the blocks cool. It dries & make great mold release next time you cast, it also aids in the alignment of the blocks on the guide pins. Mine never give me any closing problems since I started using the silicon spray lube.

Super Moderator

..............Your blocks are flopping all over? Driving in the pins won't do it. I do this:

1) Open our bench vise just enough so the steel leg of the handle outside the block will fit between the jaws.
    2) With the blocks closed, lay them atop the jaws.

3) Use a cold chisel. Place the sharp end parallel to the handle leg where it passes through the block, and just below the edge of the slot.

4) Give the chisel a moderate whack. You're wanting to move some aluminum up to close up the slop so I'm not suggesting you use a single jack to do the whacking

5) Remove the mould from the vise and check out your handiwork. You do NOT want them rock solid on the handle legs. If you're happy with the outcome, repeat on the other side. You do want a bit of movement without being tight as they still have to align with each other.

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Chunky,
    I have a board on my bench that I set moulds on when closing. I think I got into this habit from loose Lee moulds.

Buckshot,
    Do you peen the bottom of the slot so the handles contact the unpeened surface?

Thanks Buckshot I'll give that a try. I was thinking of something to put in the slot where the handle leg goes through. My other Lee dies all have some slop in them but not like this one.

Thanks!
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

That worked Buckshot! Just a few good whacks with hammer and chisel pushed a little aluminum against the handle. I actually got them a little tighter than I wanted but they now close perfectly.

Thanks again I owe you a cold one!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by xr650 View Post
    Buckshot,
    Do you peen the bottom of the slot so the handles contact the unpeened surface?
    ..............That's pretty much it. Rather then peen (multiple impressions) I use the chisel as it raises a comparatively wide area that is consistent if you're holding it straight.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Thanks Buckshot