Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Need Die set identification and others

Boolit Master

Need Die set identification and others

Here are a couple of pictures of a die set I bought on Ebay. They are threaded 5/8 X 18TPI.They are for ,222 Rem and .22 Hornet. Apparently they fit a small portable press.
    Also pictured are three caps that appear to thread on top of a Die.
    Any ideas as to what they fit?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mauser 019.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	256240Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mauser 018.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	256241

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	die 001.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	256244Click image for larger version. 

Name:	die 002.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	256245Here are the caps

Boolit Bub
    they look like their home made but I could be wrong. I have seen a lot of dies in the last 60 years but nothing like them.

Banned
    The caps screw onto the dies???

Boolit Master

No the caps are separate. The top through thread is the same thread as a Lyman 310 sizing stem.
    The dies probably thread into a press. The sizing die is neck only and sizes the inside neck on the down stroke with the exposed button. The decapping stem is non-adjustable and caliber specific. Adjust till the neck is sized and the decapping stem is fixed. The threaded bullet seating thread is .187" OD which is small and made of brass. The dies are marked with the caliber on the lock nut and no brand name anywhere.
    I envision these as some type of "at the range" press. I also have a sizing die that is for .25 caliber.

Boolit Master

If the dies are homemade then what press takes a 5/8" thread.

Banned
    What do the caps do? They must have some kind of purpose?

Boolit Master

I bought an assortment of items in a lot from ebay. I needed some primer arms that were included. The dies and caps came along with the lot.
    I don't even know that the caps are reloading related but everything else was reloading related. I just did not know what either fit. It is a double "What is it?"

Boolit Master

Bump i surely have not stumped everybody?

Yes-- I am stumped! Never saw anything like these at all. They sure do look like reloading dies, but from another part of the galaxy. They sure look like one is a de-primer and the other perhaps a primer seater. If they are for reloading, then they were maybe designed for a homemade/custom press that didn't come with the deal. I can't figure how the other three objects figure into it, as the little holes in them are threaded, and if the internal threaded parts won't screw over the dies, then I don't know. The shaft on the second die is threaded--does it match the small threaded holes in the other objects? If they're homemade, it is a good job. To me, this would be worth backtracking on, contact the seller, find out where he got them, contact that person, etc. until someone had some answers. Phone calls are inexpensive, letters even cheaper.

Boolit Master

Due to their size and the calibers(.222 Rem and 22 Hornet) I envision them to be for load development at the range. Along with the dies the press would be lighter and smaller than a rockchucker. They are a neck sizer and deprime in the one die and a bullet seater (adjustable stem for COAL)
    The seller on Ebay was an estate buyer so I doubt he knows anything. I looked at his other auctions and I did not find anything related.
    The caps are not related to the dies. The threads are different between the through threads in the cap and adjustment stem on the seating die.
    The caps are another" I never seen anything like it" . They may or may not be reloaded related but everything else in the lot was.