RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington 788

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 788's in 30-30 and shoot only cast in them. Reason for 2 of them is that the extractor is reputed to be somewhat fragile and difficult to obtain replacement parts. Also have a 788 in 44 mag and the extractor broke shortly after purchase. The lgs where I bought it replaced the extractor with the advice if I ever came across those parts buy them as Remington discontinued stocking them some time ago. I have been told that the rimmed 778's should be loaded only from the magazine and not single loaded from the breech. Seemed like good advice considering the fragility and scarcity of replacement extractors.

All 788's are great guns that are accurate and a good value for the price.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    You will enjoy it ..........IF you get to the sellers place ahead of me ! Jack First had the extractors and new springs to get mine running . I've had several and they all shot very well , taking a .223 to the fun show tomorrow .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

I’m with the buy it now mine in 308 will stack them at 100 yards and the 22-250 I got my sister is a one hole gun (given it has a custom stainless hevey barrel) I bought both with nice scopes for $400cnd each. I’m thinking you will like it they have one of the nicer factory triggers to

Boolit Master

Buy it. If you don't like it sell it to me!

Boolit Buddy
    Buy it! Some part of the reason the 788's are getting expensive is they have a really fast lock time and were valued for target rifle actions back in the day.

Banned

I had one in .30-30 for a while, it was accurate with cast, but I eventually sold it as it didn't seem to do much for me, which is odd because I like the 788s. I've had a few over the years. The one I have in 6mm is very accurate. I have one of the late short barreled ones in .308 too, I haven't shot either in a long time, I should get them out soon.

I'd love to have a left handed 6mm 788. Handy for bench shooting right handed and a solid deer and varmint killer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I'd love to have a left handed 6mm 788. Handy for bench shooting right handed and a solid deer and varmint killer.

There's a guy who makes the gun show circuit around here with a bunch of 788s, priced high to me, but all are in good shape and it seems to me like he had one last time.

I have to admit to not being much of a Remington fan, but I like the 788s. As of a few weeks ago, a standard one in .308 showed up in a nearby shop and I don't think it'll move real quick. Asking $499 for it, not pristine by any stretch, but have been (so far) resisting the urge to go make a deal on it. I have heard, and I don't doubt it, that Remington ceased production on it because it was too consistently showing up their 700s in the accuracy department.

Boolit Buddy
    The 788 .30-30 that I looked at had an asking price of $650. It was very clean, almost new condition and had a mid priced 4 x 12 scope on it.

Quote Originally Posted by buggybuilder View Post
    The 788 .30-30 that I looked at had an asking price of $650. It was very clean, almost new condition and had a mid priced 4 x 12 scope on it.
    Around here, in that condition, at that price it would already be gone.

Boolit Master
    8mm, I think you might be wrong on not single loading the rimmed cartridges in the 788. The 788's are a push feed design. Even when feeding from the magazine, the rounds pop up in front of the extractor, and are not engaged by it, until the bolt is closed. At least on my rifle it works this way. I always used to use the magazine for feeding, but after noticing this, I just single load at the range.

Boolit Master

I bought one in 7mm-08 along with 3 clips several years ago. The original owner had shortened the barrel to 16 1/2 inches and also shortened the stock as he was intending on his daughter using it. Turned out she didn’t like the recoil. He offered it to me several times, but I didn’t need it. Finally he let me have it for a very good price. It’s still sitting in the safe. I did add a Nikon scope to it. Never fired it though.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    Had the carbine version in 243. Shotit with cast as well as J words btu can't say it was a MOA rifle. Triggers can be a bit heavy but at one time there was a guy called "erniethegunsmith" on E bay selling replacement trigger springs that really improved the trigger.

Banned

one of THE best rems ever designed and produced, i bought one of the first ones offered, in .222rem, what a tack driver and rockchuck killer par excellance. its 9 lug rear locking bolt was an innovation that should never have stopped being offered. perhaps the worst gun mistake i ever made when i sold mine back in the 80's.

Boolit Master
    I think I made a mistake at the last gun show I attended, left a decent 788 in .222 on the table, and he only wanted $375. His .223 Rem 788 sold right away, but the .222 was still there when I left. Forty years ago I could have worn a rifle like that out on jack rabbits, but now I hardly shoot the .222.

Banned

and that .222 could be easily rechambered.

Boolit Master
    I have one and wont part with that 243 for anything I did have problem with the bolt handle breaking , but the local smith silver soldered it back and it hasn't skipped a beat since. I might add its very accurate deadly to woodchucks coyotes

The 22-250 is so boring I've considered reboring.

Boolit Buddy
    The Rem 788's in 30-30 and 44 mag, I have never seen a broken handle yet.
    I feel this is due to the pressure levels the cartidges work at so the cases do not have a chance to stick in the chamber.
    Just make sure the chamber is not rusted and it is clean.

As for the extractors and ejectors, I am the person who makes them, currently have lots of ejectors on hand and will be starting another batch of extractors soon.

I shoot a 30-30 often, it was my Fathers that sat for years in his safe.
    The only work I had to do to it was take the trigger unit apart and degunk it, lightly oil and reassemble, at that point the rifle shot about 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups at 100 yds.
    So then tore it back down and glass beded the action and about 3 inches of the barrel.
    It is a sub 1 inch shooter all day long now with both jacketed and cast boolits.
    It loves the Lyman 311440 with 10 grs of Unq.

Nurmich, Gun Parts Corp had a batch of repro magazines made in this caliber

J Wisner

Boolit Master
    I wish I would have known you make extractors for 788's in 30-30. I just purchased an O.E.M. ejector and extractor, for spares, and paid dearly for them. I would of prefered to give my business to a forum member.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast