Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington 788

Boolit Buddy

Remington 788

I have a chance to buy a Remington 788 in a .30-30 caliber. I want it to shoot lead cast only.
    Anything good or bad with this rifle for the use of cast? Do they shoot cast well? My idea of shooting well is 1" or less at 100 yds after load development.
    Thanks for any info.

You should be at the store buying it right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think you will have a sub MOA rifle,but you will have a good reloader's rifle ,and one you can shoot spitzers in.I had one in 22-250 years ago,and it was a good little gun.I wish they would have used more conventional locking lugs,but they are a world away from them old Savage 340s.

Boolit Master

For years, a 788 in 30-30 has been a valued rifle for cast bullet competition. Check out the forum of the Cast Bullet Association for a history.

https://castbulletassoc.org/forum

Like TbG said, what are you waiting for?

Moderator Emeritus

Only thing to watch for is magazines are hard to find.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    You should be at the store buying it right now.
    /\ Ditto /\

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Only thing to watch for is magazines are hard to find.
    Yeah, that's part of the fun. I found two on ebay and, on a hunch, another in my LGS parts bin. Also got a few nice mags for the Savage 23B 25-20. It did take some months and I let some overpriced ones go.

My 788 had been smithed and refinished with a lovely bead blast blue, stock smoothed and finished. It came with Weaver mounts, so I installed a steel tube K4 with the post crosshair reticle. Wasn't seriously looking for one, but this one is just what a shooter wants.
    Last edited by Nueces; 02-07-2020 at 06:57 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I wish they were still made!

Boolit Buddy
    After doing some research on the 788's, I'm kind of afraid of the broken bolt and extractor issues.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by buggybuilder View Post
    After doing some research on the 788's, I'm kind of afraid of the broken bolt and extractor issues.
    The day I got mine in 22-250 I ran into a guy I knew as I was buying some ammo at Walmart,and he told my about the bolt handles breaking,but he also wanted to buy it from me.I did see an identical 22-250 at a pawn shop for $250 a couple years ago,and it had a broken bolt handle that some one tried to fix,but broke again.The 30-30 ,especially with cast loading should not build much pressure .If the deal is priced right I would get it before someone else does.

Boolit Master
    I was gifted one in 30-30. Boy they are nice nice rifles. Mine came with a broken ejector. I found one online for $35. I think it was Jack First I got it from. Still good 6 years, and about 1000 rounds later. I rebarreled and restocked mine. Easy to do 1 MOA with right loads. Mine really is a good shooter. Better beat feet down to make that purchase. The 30-30 788's do bring a premium price.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0517.JPG  

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one new in the 70's, a 243. Very accurate, considering it was kind of a "budget" rifle for it's day. I would love to have one in 30-30.

I've owned 14 of them and ran my first one(22-250) HARD with the old Hercules Reloader11 powder for years. Several of my friends have owned many 788s as well. None of us have ever seen this or done this. Bolt handle or extractor. And I had to kick my bolt open with my boot heel more than once due to my hot loads. Buy with confidence; the 30-30 is the most desirable 788 ever IMO. Besides that it and the .44 use different extractors than the "fingernail" rimless ones- I've never seen one of those fail either- through a multitude of m700, m600, m760, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have a chance to buy a Remington 788 in a .30-30 caliber. I want it to shoot lead cast only.
    Anything good or bad with this rifle for the use of cast? Do they shoot cast well? My idea of shooting well is 1" or less at 100 yds after load development.
    Thanks for any info.
    I'm ever regretful that I did not buy the one I saw for $275. I had to settle for a Savage 340. which is good, but no 788.

You really should get it. there isn't a better bolt action 30wcf out there.

Boolit Master

BUY it, you will be happy, BUT if for some reason you are not, sell it here
    QUICKLY if you price it correctly
    Mike

p.s. did you buy it YET
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Other than two factory rounds as proof loads, my rebarreled, 30-30 788 has not been violated by jacketed bullets since. The gun will outlast me. I repeat, buy it now, before some other lucky SOB does.

Boolit Buddy
    I picked one up and turned it into a 219 Donaldson Wasp. One of the best moves I ever made!

The 788 in 222 Remington was all us Upstate NY woodchuck killers wanted back in the 70’s. I think part of the reason Remington quit making them is they shot as good or better than the more expensive 700. Buy it !

Boolit Master
    I have two, both left handers, a 6mm and a 308. I purchased the 308 in 1971 and the 6mm in '76. Both have had many rounds through them, and both are still solid. I don't load them where I need a boot or 2x4 to open the bolt and have had no problems. Magazines are still available but scary expensive for stamped steel single column affairs.
    I took my deer this year with that very same 308W. Kills them just as dead as it did in the early 70's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast