RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Crowning a Revolver

Boolit Master

Crowning a Revolver

Bought a S&W Model 60 with a pinned barrel that has a ding on the muzzle.
    I have not closely examined it yet to see if it raised metal inside the barrel but I would like to regrown it to get rid of the ding.
    Any suggestions?

The barrel can be removed from the revolver and the ding turned out on a lathe. Or, various tools are available from Brownell's for this purpose to accomplish the job by hand. I've seen them removed just using an electric drill and a properly shaped grinding bit. Not really too big a job. As long as you stay away from the edge of the bore where it meets the crown you'll be o.k. Using a crowing tool on a lathe you'll most likely cut a new edge also.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If the ding is not too severe, you may be able to remove it with the Brownell's revolver deburr-chamfer tool:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...s-prod678.aspx
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I thought about removing the barrel or using a faceplate and an angle plate in the lathe.

Boolit Master
    This is going to sound a bit backwoodsy - but shoot it!! I had a sporterized Krag and a WW1 1911 with what seemed like huge crown issues. An older gunsmith told me to shoot 50 rounds of cast through both and then 50 jacketed. Lo and behold....both are great shooters! I'm thinking that it's all about the degree of damage. If Bubba tried to saw off half an inch and re-crown with a chainsaw file, then maybe that solution won't be the one for you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

It looks like it was dropped and landed on the muzzle on a rock with a sharp corner.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    It looks like it was dropped and landed on the muzzle on a rock with a sharp corner.
    Oh my! Any metal protruding into the bore?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Those 2 tools cost $200, I only paid $350 from the gun!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    Those 2 tools cost $200, I only paid $350 from the gun!
    This method is only a few dollars

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus

An outfit I have pleasantly dealt with purveys a plain-Jane simple kit which may be the answer to your quest -- at less than ten U S dollars, to boot! Check out https://www.mcarbo.com/store/Search....rchTerms=crown I bought and used one on a Ruger (stainless) .357 SP101 revolver, and it ended up looking, as well as functioning, "better than new".
    geo

Boolit Master

Thanks for all of the help!
    I removed the barrel, it was easy since it is a pinned barrel.
    The threaded shank measured .490 so I used a .500 collet in a collet block in the 4 jaw chuck.
    I turned a snug fitting plug to use to indicate the bore and got it running true to the bore.
    With a file I dressed the OD to where the ding has almost disappeared!
    On closer inspection the bore has no damage.
    I reinstalled the barrel and will go shoot it after an action tuning, the trigger and hammer are rubbing on the frame!
    I will report on the results after I shoot it!