MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frt. Sight Visibility VS Magna-port

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I may be wrong but it seems to me that any sight you put near those magnaport slots is going to get smoked and be just like what you have.
    That gun might be a good candidate for a red dot sight.
    You may be right. I did examine the sight on my GP100 (3" SS). the fiber tube is on top & is shielded completely on the sides by metal. I think something like that would have a chance of working.

I'm just not a Red Dot guy & would prefer just wiping the front sight between reloads over the RD. I think they are great for some people, but not for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-006F.JPG  

Boolit Buddy

I have a 629 with factory Magnaports and an orange front sight. I only shoot cast boolits through it.
    The front sight gets covered with grey soot as I'm shooting. Never really bothered me. I can still see the front sight. I just keep shooting.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Groo here
    At one time You could get plastic rods cut to fit the front sight dove tail..
    Just cut a piece file to fit, tap in with glue on it, then file as needed.
    Many colors were made even glow in the dark and brass..
    A second type was a liquid with hardener and a dam.
    Put dam on sight, mix liquid , pour in slot , let harden , file to fit.
    Last , there is some Light charged paint[?].you could paint on.[do WWW search.]
    Ps , Magnaport does not reduce kick,or climb associated with kick.
    It reduces rotation of gun [saving web between thumb and trigger finger]
    I have many ,some cant be shot without it. [ 45-70 hand canyon by SSK]
    The thing is, If you shoot reduced loads It will not work well.
    Needs full up loads.[where you need it anyway] like a brake...

Groo,
    I agree (in theory) that the MP would be more effective with full power loads & I also think (my opinion only) that the longer bbl. length would make it more effective due to the lever principle. However: I may be wrong (I often am).

I just checked Brownells & they still catalogue the epoxy type kit with several (I think 5) pigment additives. The price is $60.00. They also have the type you described that has several different color sheets that you must cut to fit & glue in place @ about 1/2 of the liquid kit.

I do appreciate your additional comments.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    Thanks for this valuable information.

I see you're in the "Dead center of Alabama". I visit the Barber Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham often: the largest in the world.

Regards,
    Henry
    Brings back some fun memories doesn't it?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Just a thought, have you tried a cleaner burning powder? Bullseye,Unique and Red Dot are just nasty BBQ Grill crud out of a ported firearm.
    I'd give PB Powder a try as it is one of,if not the cleanest burning powder ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrob View Post
    Just a thought, have you tried a cleaner burning powder? Bullseye,Unique and Red Dot are just nasty BBQ Grill crud out of a ported firearm.
    I'd give PB Powder a try as it is one of,if not the cleanest burning powder ever made.
    PB was once my most used powder. It worked in .38 spec., .45 ACP, .44 spec. & .45 Colt. It also has low muzzle flash (useful in an IPSC night match).

However: they must have ceased making it. I'm unable to find any anywhere. If you know of a source, I'd be interested.

Now, I find WST to be the cleanest burning. HP-38/231 is OK also.

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Brings back some fun memories doesn't it?
    It sure does. My 1st. bike was a '51 Matchless G80 500cc single. Most people have never heard of a Matchless: Barber has about 10.

Boolit Buddy
    Meprolight makes an insert that will replace the red plastic. Tritium white dot. I don't know how it would be affected by the magna ports.

Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    Meprolight makes an insert that will replace the red plastic. Tritium white dot. I don't know how it would be affected by the magna ports.
    Thanks for the heads-up. I checked their web site (kind of confusing & was never able to get anywhere with their "contact" point.....computer would lock-up every time).

Amazon had some info. BTW the entire set was priced conservatively. From the reviews it seems that the S&W front is pinned in place (not very clear). Most agree that installation is difficult + all guns shot 6"-8" high after install. I wish I had an underside view & I could tell more about it.

Boolit Grand Master

Not truly traditional on a handgun but there used to be spring loaded hoods for rifles maybe one of those fitted to the front sight. It would protect the sight from blast, and also glare

Boolit Grand Master

Not truly traditional on a handgun but there used to be spring loaded hoods for rifles maybe one of those fitted to the front sight. It would protect the sight from blast, and also glare

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I tried some plinking loads for the .45 Colt cylinder today with WST (4.8 gr. WST with Lee 230TC). The soot from the MP was greatly reduced. I could get 15-20 shots off before wiping it down. The Testors paint doesn't adhere to the red insert area as well as the metal area. If I could get it to stick to the insert, I'd just refurbish the Testors occasionally.

Boolit Master

Informative discussion. I've always been interested in magnaport.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12