Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Winchester 1890, should I?

Boolit Buddy

Winchester 1890, should I?

Howdy gang,

I have a small dilemma on my hands. Well, it's an odd dilemma for me because it's rare that I hesitate at trading for a rifle.

I lady I know has a Winchester 1890 in 22 Long (not LR). I think it's the 2nd revision from around 1915 with the factory tang sight. It's in barn fresh condition. Meaning, it's has a heavy brown patina. The condition is fine by me, it will clean up nice. But I guess my point is it's not in a collectible condition. I'm only looking for a shooter anyway.

I have always wanted a nice old 22 pump. She's interested in trading for something that would be more fun for her to shoot. I have rifles that she would be interested in, that's not the problem.

In a perfect world, I would want an old 22, with tang sight, octagon barrel, takedown, that can shoot/feed 22 short and 22LR. This rifle is almost that. But as far as I know the 1890 cannot feed multiple cartridges like the Winchester 62 can. If I were to get this 1980, I probably would buy a 22 short carrier for it because I would shoot mostly 22 short.

My uses would be primarily a fun shooter for my daughter and I would use it for 2.5 months of the year for small game season.

I'm totally rambling in this post. I totally know the answer is get it quick!. I guess I just need something to push me over the edge. What do you guys have for me?

They still make .22Longs. Get it if you want it. They are neat guns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If the price is right, pull the trigger. You can always sell it later if you change your mind. But not if it's no longer there.
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Boolit Master
    You ought to be able to replace the carrier with one from the Winchester 06 pump. It has a little fly on the front that allowed the 06 to feed Short, Long and Long Rifle cartridges.

Probably won’t chamber a Long Rifle, and would probably keyhole the shots if it did, but you could at least use Shorts and Longs.

Those little rifles are tanks. I’ve seen them in truly horrible condition and they just work and work and work.

Super Moderator

I'd suggest saving your trade and try to find one in 22LR, or better yet find a Model 62A which will shoot shorts, longs, and 22LR quite accurately.

Boolit Master

1890's are great little rifles, and they can be made to shoot 22S,L, and LR. just need the proper lifter lever, and the chamber cut.

Boolit Master
    I have a slightly later model 90 in .22 LR. with tang sight, it is one of my very favorite long range (100+ yard) plinking .22s. It's way more fun shooting at the 150 yd silhouettes at the local range than it should be... It's small, light and easy to operate. Only thing that would hold me back is the .22 long aspect.

Boolit Master
    is it .22 Long or .22 WRF?

no standard .22 fit the 22 WRF it's chamber is bigger. be sure before you spend the cash.

HM

Boolit Bub
    My 1890 is a 22 long and shoots very well. Plinking ammo is made but not so good for hunting (I don't like hunting with round nose ammo). I cut the nose off to flatten the tip for hunting. I wished I had a tang sight on mine.

Boolit Master
    I would hope it is in your position by now! Friend of mine has his Grandads, stamped 22long, he lengthened chamber and changed out something in the feed, probably elevator. He uses ONLY std velocity or subsonic in it, but long rifles work fine.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    the one I had was marked long but it would shoot win LR with no problem

Boolit Buddy

Back in the '70's I worked on a shop that did work on shooting gallery rifles. We would replace the follower, in tho 90's, refinish, the wood and then if the bore was kaput, we would recline it with Brownells liners, rechamber and reblue. If you happen onto one of these old guns, and the bore is in good shape, just replacing the carrier should be all you need to do, as we used a L R chamber reamer. Maybe this will help someone reworking one of these old rifles.

Boolit Bub
    These are nice rifles. I have G'Pa's old rabbit roller. It's a Short that he had reamed to take LR. Must have had the carrier changed as it feeds all 3 sizes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0866.jpg  

If I were you i'd get it.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

The M 1890 is another J.M. Browning design and the way it locks I doubt if it would be a problem with hi speed 22 long rifles if so chambered. I would just try to cycle it with 22 lr's and if it will lift them inline with the chamber and they start in I would probably rechamber it to long rifle.
    It sounds like the lady that owns it knows you and may let you try it out.

Jedman

Boolit Master

Buy it

Boolit Master

the action will handle 22lr just fine. they all used the same action, including the WRF guns. id not think twice about pressure differences between a long and long rifle when discussing this rifle.

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!! If she just wants to trade for another rifle. I have an 1890 gallery gun in 22 Short only. The barrel is marked .22 Short and the lifter is only able to handle a short cartridge.I use it to choot starlings in the chicken coop when I'm bored. It's a barrel of fun.I just love the dickens out of it.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member