Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: .44 gas checks spinning

.44 gas checks spinning

Hello, I've used plenty of hornady checks before, but this recent batch, the crimped checks are spinning on the shanks. I figure this batch casted a little small, but they are staying on when I pry on them by hand. Anyone, see any problems with the loose checks?

They could fly off after firing but that won't hurt anything but accuracy. I have had some checks be loose on some bullets and I put a dab of loctite on each one before seating them. You can use super glue but working time is very short with it. I seem to have more loose check issues with Hornady so I have been using Gator or the ones Sage makes.

You could always anneal them if it is an issue.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Moderator Emeritus

they are staying on when I pry on them
    if that is the case, then no problems !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

One hint, if you haven't already installed GCs on that entire batch of boolits, is to size the boolit first, then crimp on the GC. Sizing them usually increases the size of the Shank a little bit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I like the idea of sizing then crimping, seems the easiest to try first. Thanks guys

Ran in to this recently when making 44 gas checks with my die. The problem as I predicted with my calculations is that .014 was not thick enough. I tried thicker .0156 material and it worked - no spinning on NOE bullet that was cast from hard alloy. I also had bullets sample what appears to be lyman from very soft alloy and it still spun so .016" would be better. I am going to try if I can find Amerimax in this thickness, they have it in their catalog.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I have had some on more than one occasion , that for one reason or another , could be turned on the boolit base after sizing-lubing and check crimping but although I could turn them they stayed on the base and I couldn't get one off with my fingernails . I shot them and could never see/find any that shed a check and accuracy was unaffected . This was with 357 magnum .
    If the checks can't easily be pulled off the boolit base ... I wouldn't be concerned .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    One hint, if you haven't already installed GCs on that entire batch of boolits, is to size the boolit first, then crimp on the GC. Sizing them usually increases the size of the Shank a little bit.
    I had one mold that I don't even remember which one that had the same problem. I'll have to remember this trick.

Boolit Master
    If they spin but don't come off it shouldn't be a problem because when they are fired the rifling in the barrel will "crimp" them down tighter.

Well I guess I won't really worry about it too much, just never had this with hornady's. This is my last batch of them anyway as I think I'll be switching to sage outfitters checks. I've been sampling their aluminum and copper. Thanks guys

Boolit Grand Master

Anneal them and they won't turn on the shanks
    Charter Member #148

Banned

Ive never seen this Don. Every time I have checks that aren't crimped to the point they don't move I find them on the ground between the bench and target and accuracy is usually dismal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Purcell View Post
    If they spin but don't come off it shouldn't be a problem because when they are fired the rifling in the barrel will "crimp" them down tighter.