MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: Pulled 30 cal bullet looking for Information

Pulled 30 cal bullet looking for Information

I got these from an estate sale. They were pulled from some old 30-06 cases . The grooves cut into them. We're definitely done by the manufacturers. I did some research into early ball ammo for the Gerand. I came up with simpler pictures and descriptions.
    They do have a magnetic core. It's not tungsten. I cut one open. The steel core is easily cut.
    Was wondering if any of you guys might know anything about these.
    They are 174 gn. If I remember right. They definitely came out of old M1 cases. The grooves throw me off. I know it's not a crimping cannalure.
    Any Info would be appreciated
    Also, thes are 2 of the 3 different variations. The 3rd image I couldn't get to upload
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200205_125835_resized.jpg   20200205_130031_resized.jpg  

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Picture of the base closure would be helpful, but from length, weight and cut vs. knurled cannelure my guess is that these are cal. .30 APM2 fromm WW2 period that somebody has cleaned the identifying black paint off of. The crazies will pay $1 apiece for them.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Super Moderator

I agree with WWII AP with paint removed. I'm not sure about the ones on the left with the double cannelure though. I have a couple of different AP cores on my desk, they are magnetic but they are harder than woodpecker lips.

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, Oregon
    They look a lot like pulled 7.62x54r bullets, what is the diameter? in the picture on the right hand side, at the top of the page you can see the case crimped into the groove. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAK

Boolit Master

They look exactly like old M2 AP bullets to me. I've seen plenty that have the double cannelure like that. Are you sure they're 174gr, or 162?

M2 AP bullets weren't tungsten (other than some early ones), but rather tool steel. Tool steel is not "easily cut", though.