Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: 9MM Titegroup Loads - Excessive Powder?

Boolit Mold

9MM Titegroup Loads - Excessive Powder?

Serious question: I have about 600 of handloaded 9mm cartridges that are loaded with 148 grain coated lead semi-wadcutter bullets and 3.1 & 3.2 grains of Titegroup with Winchester primers. Loading data is difficult to find for this bullet. I want to use these in a M-92F Beretta. Are these too hot? Thanks!

Those should be fine. That is the recommended starting load for that boolit, according to the Hodgdon data site.
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

I saw that link and also saw the COAL was 1.100" ... the question in my mind is what OAL is the L-SWC's that Henry loaded? Case volume should be considered here even with a starting load.
    9mm's can get pretty wild-n-wooley PDQ.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Bub
    I am running 2.8 grain titegroup with a 152 grain flat point but think that a148 swc would take up more space in the case. My curiosity is awakening so please let us know how it goes.

Boolit Mold
    They are loaded to a COL of 1.13". The LSWC bullet itself is .712". The 147 gr bullet that Hodgdon lists is a Hornady XTP. The XTP is .670" long. The LSWC is .042" longer at .712" than the XTP. By my calculations, these LSWCs are only seated .012" deeper than Hodgdon specs using the XTP bullet. I'm thinking that a lead bullet would produce less pressure than a jacketed one, so maybe I could safely use this data for my coated lead SWCs? I suspect that I am over thinking this. I have a tendency to do so. I sure wish that somebody would publish some data for these bullets. Your thoughts?

Boolit Buddy
    I am not going to be the one to say "yes, that is definitely safe", but I personally have run heavier bullets, seated deeper at that charge weight with TiteGroup. My Lyman's manual is out in the shop, but IIRC the seating depth for their cast 147 is something like 1.058. Granted that is a bullet that is nearly boattail, but close enough that I wouldn't sweat it too much. I certainly wouldn't go much higher than that though.

Boolit Mold
    OK, test results of 150 gr. (148-149 gr actual) coated lead SWC, Winchester primers, mixed brass, 3.5 gr Titegroup, COAL 1.13", ten shot average velocity was 995 FPS. This was out of a Beretta M-92F. Brass showed no indications of anything unusual. Accuracy was very good.

Sounds like a good load to me. Perhaps a little hot but probably in the +P range.