Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Butcher Block Gunstock

Quote Originally Posted by OutHuntn84 View Post
    Wow what a masterpiece! Did you have all this in mind when you started or did you play it by ear?
    A little of both, I wanted to use the block my Father brought home years ago.
    Always wanted a 30/40 Krag RB just needed to save and sell off a few other rifles to afford the Gunsmith to do the barrel. It was his idea for the heavy barrel, glad he thought of it.
    Once I got the barrel action back I starting searching for a way to make the Buttstock work for scope use. Found a picture that a stock maker was using for the little Martine Cadet with a scope, Thought to myself that should work. For the forearm I always had a problem with the barrel resting on my hand and not the forearm on the sporter type RB., so I wanted to make a longer forearm.
    The inlaid was something I had seen on a rifle at a Museum somewhere and liked the look.
    The pattern for the craving was something I just came up with. The buffalo was a after thought for a critter that would fit the old west look. Anyone that really knows me well, knows my love of the Civil War and Old West History which we have a lot of here in Missouri.
    So it all just came together.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm impressed! Well done. Wish I had talent. I am curious about the details of how the butt stock and frond were attached. If you ever take pictures of that, I'd love to see 'em.

Boolit Master
    very nice work,thanks for sharing

Oh my goodness. I’ve somehow overlooked this thread but I’m so glad I finally got a good look at your EXCELLENT work. Perfect choice of chambering as well- the 30-40 will always be my second favorite .30 cal- right behind the 30-30. Sorry, .308 and 30-06. Like ya, don’t love ya.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    you need Postimg.org

its free and no BS.. just works

Yes... I started using Postimg several months ago and it’s simple enough for me and it works.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    I'm impressed! Well done. Wish I had talent. I am curious about the details of how the butt stock and frond were attached. If you ever take pictures of that, I'd love to see 'em.

The buttstock was attached just like the original with the rear tang screw, the forearm was attached by drilling and tapping the barrel. the forearm screw is hidden under the round horn inlay on the forearm

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Oh my goodness. I’ve somehow overlooked this thread but I’m so glad I finally got a good look at your EXCELLENT work. Perfect choice of chambering as well- the 30-40 will always be my second favorite .30 cal- right behind the 30-30. Sorry, .308 and 30-06. Like ya, don’t love ya.
    Glad you like it, was wondering if you ever saw the post.
    Need to do more studying on wood craving. I was afraid people would say ( Why the mouse with horns) .
    30/40 has always been one of my favorites as well. along with the 7x57 and 45/70, I should include the 38/55 win. also.
    Now searching for some good loads, have a few made up with Wc872 but have yet to test them.

Boolit Master
    Watching your process has inspired me to try making a stock for a outdated 20 side by side I have had sitting on a table for over a year now since I got it mechanical functional .
    Wonderful job and story Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    Watching your process has inspired me to try making a stock for a outdated 20 side by side I have had sitting on a table for over a year now since I got it mechanical functional .
    Wonderful job and story Sr.
    You just have to go for it. All you have to lose is a little time, but you will learn a lot.
    Just go slow and think things through as you go, your will do fine.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, brstevns. I'm about to stock a roller and was wondering about the forend. (Spell correct almost did it to me again frond - forend)

One of the first groups fired using 50gr. WC872 Lee 312-155 designed for the 7.62x39, PC and sized to .312
    The group is not the worse or best group I shot but is about the average at 100 yards
    Last edited by brstevns; 03-05-2020 at 11:04 PM.

No picture but 3x4 inch at 200 yards with 50gr WC872 and the Lee 155 gr bullet

Boolit Mold
    A very sharp project and great workmanship. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Quote Originally Posted by j4cub View Post
    A very sharp project and great workmanship. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Thanks for your kindness. I hope to get back to working on loads once this Virus thing is over.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234