RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: I need a low profile flip up sight

Boolit Grand Master

I need a low profile flip up sight

Ok guys, I have a project right now that is essentially a trying to duplicate the FN SLP Competition shotgun. You will notice that the FN has a folding rear sight that sits below the line of sight. This lets you shoot as a shotgun normally, but flips up for slugs. I've been around shotguns my entire life, they are my strong point in shooting. I'm not looking for any suggestions there.

I called FN, and they were not willing to sell me the rear sight. Now to me, the sight looks just like the Lyman #16 folding leaf sight, which can be had for $15. I see Marbles also makes a version, but it is slightly taller. I bought the Lyman, and it is slightly too tall. FN must have a taller frame than Mossberg. What I did to fix this though, is to put the sight in the mill, and take off about .040". This put it below the line of sight, so it is possible to make this one work. I can't get the screw heads below, but I can live with that.

I'm wondering if someone has another idea though, as I see better sights from time to time, but only on old guns. A perfect example I've found is the Lyman #6 folding leaf sight for a Winchester. It doesn't have to be height adjustable, just windage adjustable, which a dovetail provides. The Lyman #6 would be perfect, you can't get any more low profile than that. Does anyone know of a source of new Lyman #6 sights or similar. Or maybe another option?

Take a peek at track of the wolf and their muzzleloader sights I though they had a couple of folding express type sights that sat pretty low when folded
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master

I called TOTW, and they no longer sell a folding leaf sight. They did direct me to NECG, which has the R15235 leaf sight. That is very close to what I want, but takes a rather large dovetail. I bought one, so we will see.

Boolit Grand Master

Unfortunately the NECG sight turned out to be quite large. I didn't measure it, but it would take roughly a 1/2" long dovetail, and it is plenty thick too. Due to the spring underneath, it cannot be shortened.

I'm still looking for ideas if anyone has them.

Take the rear sight off of a Ruger 10/22 rifle. They are low, fold down, and fast as all get out when you learn how to use them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Old Coot View Post
    Take the rear sight off of a Ruger 10/22 rifle. They are low, fold down, and fast as all get out when you learn how to use them.
    It looks like the Lyman #16 folding rear sight to me. This is likely the sight I'll end up using, but I need to mill it down even more than that.

Boolit Master
    Dixie gun works used to sell folding rear sights .
    The one I got from them was I think for a 3rd model colt dragoon and it was really compact , but at the time they had quite an assortment of rear sights and raw sight castings. I have no idea if they still offer them.
    I may still have a spare I will see if I can find it may be an hour or two .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Dixie gun works used to sell folding rear sights .
    The one I got from them was I think for a 3rd model colt dragoon and it was really compact , but at the time they had quite an assortment of rear sights and raw sight castings. I have no idea if they still offer them.
    I may still have a spare I will see if I can find it may be an hour or two .
    I tried Dixie gun works, and they no longer offer a folding sight. I would appreciate if you found something.

I found that FN isn't the only one with this idea. It turns out Benelli also makes a 3-gun shotgun with a folding rear sight. They call it the M2 SP. That sight would be PERFECT. I called Benelli USA, and they were clueless. They had no idea it even existed. The M2 SP is a current production model still offered, but it seems it isn't available in the USA. I just sent an email to Benelli Italy, and hopefully they will be able to help me out.

Boolit Master
    These are the two I have that may work the one is I think from a marlin 336 , the small one is the one from Dixie
    You are welcome to either one if you think it will work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF194181-E1D6-49B1-962B-C380E9435C25.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	256597Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13BCB5BA-44E4-434D-A546-FDBF8B1C67BF.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	256598Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ED4073A6-C30B-4CB2-A824-8F671E9B67EF.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	256601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6BD2ACF3-9A42-4560-B9C4-B6706E50BACE.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	256602
    Here is a link to a folding rear (I have one on my Rossi 92) https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.p...fhtmnlefr810e7
    The Ruger 10/22 rear sight as suggested might be a better choice than any of these .
    Last edited by onelight; 02-11-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Hmm. Well the 10/22 sight you show might work, I worry that it might be too long. The double sight flip up might be a candidate.

I actually may have spoken too soon about the NECG sight. It looks big, but after taking a second glance, it may be as low profile as it gets. With just a simple modification, the sight is only .150" thick. With only a .060" deep dovetail, it would only be .090" above the barrel. Now the one thing that scares me about this sight is that it would require about a 3/4" wide dovetail. This would effectively marry me to this sight, as most are a usual 3/8" wide. The other consideration is the dovetail depth. The Mossberg has enough barrel for a full .090" deep dovetail. I even have another barrel that came from the factory with a flip up dovetail sight with a .090" slot. Still, a shallower dovetail would make me happier. The NECG is plenty thin just as it is. The Lyman would have to be shortened to use a .060" deep dovetail, which is not as easy to do as it would seem.

I'm still waiting for word on the Benelli sight, as that is the best of the best. I don't see getting any better than that. I'll post some pictures below to help those out in the future.

Here is the Benelli sight on the M2 SP

Name:	rear_iron_sight_130.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	256604

Here is the FN SLP Competition. I believe it is the Lyman #16 sight.

Name:	fn flip sight.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	256605

What it comes down to is this. I need a sight that isn't too long, I'm thinking that Ruger sight may be too long. I have about a 2" area that is flat, but the farther down the barrel you go, the shorter it needs to be to stay hidden. The absolute maximum the height can be from the top of the barrel is .125". The Lyman #16 is taller than that out of the box, but it can be milled about as short as .110". The only concern there is the screws for the elevation blade, which stick up. Not the end of the world, but annoying.

Thank you onelight and others. I'll keep you posted and see what else I can figure out. Ideally I can get one of those Benelli sights.

Boolit Master
    The 2 leaf rear I have was a part from an Italian cap & ball it may not be constructed with the quality of the rest of your project . But let me know and I will mail it to you.

I have a Marble's/Lyman folder in my scrounge box, if you want it (for the bubble).

When folded, it measures .1275" from the bottom of it's male dovetail to the highest portion of the folded blade.

PM me if you're interested.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

That marbles/lyman folder looks more like the sight on my 10/22 and I have been looking down it since 1966.

Boolit Grand Master

I never did hear back from Benelli. Apparently if you can't get it from the Benelli USA dealer, you can't get it.

So here is what I've decided. I'm going to go with the NECG folding rear sight. You simply cannot get more low profile than that, and it should work great. My one and only hold up has been a fear that I will be stuck with that sight forever, as it will take roughly a 3/4" long dovetail. Well I got to thinking that I could likely make a spacer to fix it if I ever have to. Absolute worst case scenario, I have to have a second dovetail cut just in front of it. I'll be having the dovetail cut as far rearward on the barrel as possible, and I will ask for .060" depth. There is even a ever so slight chance I might be able to get the Lyman folding leaf's adjustable blade to work on this one. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for the help.

Boolit Master
    Would love to see some pictures when you get if done .

Is there any reason you can't filedown the 3/4" dovetail to 3/8" ?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Is there any reason you can't filedown the 3/4" dovetail to 3/8" ?
    Yes, there is a spring underneath for the sight blade. I could shorten it a little bit, but nothing significant. The gun is at the gunsmith now. I have an extra sight to play with. I'm going to try to fit the Lyman #16 adjustable sight blade into the NECG sight. It probably won't work. More than likely I'll end up just filing a wide V, which is fine. The rear sight is windage adjustable, and I'll figure out a way to make the front adjustable height wise. The only thing the gunsmith was concerned with was being such a wide and shallow slot, it may not hold tightly. I may add a set screw to the sight, just for added assurance.

If I didn't say it before, after adding this sight, I intend to send the barrel to Mike Orlen to have a Polychoke installed. A Frankenstein gun for sure. This should work out good, as the gun did pattern a touch high with just the bead. The polychoke, plus a tall bead/sight should work perfect.

Then I'll play with spacers to make the gun fit me. Once the pattern is on, I can play with the sights to get slugs on. And if all that goes to plan, I'll have a perfect mulit-purpose/3 gun shotgun.

See, simple!