RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to plan a controlled sell off?

How to plan a controlled sell off?

Quite frankly it breaks my heart that it has come to this but the simple truth is my disability has progressed to the point where I can no longer shoot. I can't even get to the gun room without assistance. It's not a fire sale or a yard sale. I'm not desperate for money and the guns don't eat. But leaving them to sit will result in a problem for my heirs who won't know their value either. I've had insulting offers. I sold a few things without knowing their real value: I got took. So I will likely need help in valuing them properly. Naturally, fIrearms will go through an FFL, all legal requirements will be met.

I had a complete MAGMA automatic casting/lube sizing set up which I sold off some time ago. I was in the bullet busiess. But I have some remaining old stock, boxed 500 packs.

I'd appreciate ideas.
    NRA Life Member
    member South County Rod & Gun Club

Banned
    Please help this gentleman out with ideas.

DO NOT post offers to buy in this thread or it will be deleted.

Boolit Master

I really don't know how to go about what you are asking. As for as getting values, I would check gunbroker and the other auction sites to see what they are actually selling for not what people are asking.

Boolit Master
    really dont need to know what everyting is worth
    put it up for sale on gun broker and let the auction determine the $$$

Moderator Emeritus

I would look at completed GB auctions and check out a gun show. IDK, if your energy level is up to it but tables are relatively cheap. If no you then maybe a trusted friend would do so for a percentage.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I would look at completed GB auctions and check out a gun show. IDK, if your energy level is up to it but tables are relatively cheap. If no you then maybe a trusted friend would do so for a percentage.
    A trusted friend SHOULD do so for free. Just my opinion.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. I can somewhat relate.

For gun values, look on Gunbroker.Com. Look for the ones that are being bid on and the time remaining to bid. Many of the starting bid prices are not realistic. Look at the ones getting some action.

Look through the Swapping and Selling section on this site for what reloading tools, brass and bullets sell for. You need 30 meaningful post and to have been a member for 30 days to sell. So, pick out a few topics that you can add value to and get your post count up.

For shipping tools, brass, lead or bullets the USPS Flat Rate boxes are your friend. If you are up to boxing up the stuff and getting it to the post office. If not, you might offer it for sale "face to face". There may even be members near you that could help.

Do you have any family that can help? Brothers, Sons, Grandsons, or even trusted friends? A table at a local gunshow will sell stuff, if you have anyone that can help you with it. Me and a couple of friends sold a bunch of stuff at a show a few years ago. It was kind of a fun weekend.

Good Luck to you.
    Last edited by lightman; 02-05-2020 at 10:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    Take good photos and list the guns on gunbroker one at a time. Pick a reserve price that’s slightly low for an opening bid and run each auction for 7 or 10 days.
    Make sure you charge enough for shipping. The last 4 guns I tried to sell online at forums all fizzled out. They went on gunbrokers and sold for well above what I originally asked.
    East Tennessee

I am aware of gunbroker.com. I can't seem to figure out how to find sold listings. I bought guns new for myself. I bought guns that spoke to me, what I consider "nice stuff". Ordinary guns can be consigned locally.
    I haven't delt with my situation... I can't move a wheelchair by myself and have no way to transport it yet.
    NRA Life Member
    member South County Rod & Gun Club

Boolit Master
    you can find values through the Blue Book of Gun Values and recent sales on Gunbroker. You might find that if you ask a little less and offer them on sites you are members of like this, they might sell faster. Try some on both. Get one of your grandkids to help sell on Gunbroker or Armslist and give them a percentage or a firearm to keep. This will spur them to get as much as possible. The 500 packs of lead boolits, retail is around $40 to $45 per 500 depending on weight. Higher the weight per boolit, usually means higher cost.

Boolit Master

If it suits you I would sell here, since we have no fees for doing so.

Boolit Grand Master

If you have a large collection having a well advertised auction is the way to go. For your location this could be a good starting point. http://www.siaai.com/?p=9220

I know of several people that went this route. Least amount of work for maximum returns.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

For Gunbroker sold listings- first you need to sign up for an account. Click on "Advanced" next to the search bar near the top of the page.

On the Advanced Search page, click on the "Completed Items" tab. It will make you sign in, if you're not already.

Once you run your search, you'll have to sort through the results to find the ones that legitimately sold. The listings that show "0 bids" didn't actually sell, so you can ignore those. Then there are listing with bids, that didn't sell because of a high "reserve". You can usually ignore those too. You usually need to sort through a bunch and look at the details (condition, description, shipping, etc.) before you have a clear idea of a true value.

If you have a lot to get rid of, you can sell a few at a time and do pretty well on Gunbroker, but take your time and learn the system first. If you start selling and make some newbie mistakes, you can end up selling stuff too cheap. It's a lot of work and takes a lot of time. Then you have to find shipping boxes for everything, and learn all the ropes for packing and shipping correctly and legally.

Boolit Grand Master

One thing to do before moving on is first have a local gun shop or auction house come out and give an appraisal of what you have. This way you know what is what. Auctions can be great so so or barley tolerable, depending on location weather and things. Since you arnt in a big hurry take your time do your home work and go from there

Boolit Buddy
    For guns, I would call around to all the FFL’s in area and see if any will consign them.

Would really help if you had a pair of hands helping you out. Kids?

I have same worries as I get old. My spouse won’t have a clue. No kids. A friend and I agreed whoever dies first, would help the other person’s spouse out.

An easy way to get market for what you are selling is to list them on gunbroker with a longer auction period, lots of photos, and no reserve. I find those auctions are very efficient in running the price up to market.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

There are sellers on gunbroker that will sell your collection for a percentage. Some of the bigger known names are sarah15 and the woodlawn boys. I am not aware of any in your neck of the woods, but I am sure there are some. They take all the pictures and do all the marketing. Most have a very good understanding of the market, and can give you an idea of what to expect. If you have a trusted gun shop near you, I am sure they would also do this. The longer you wait, the risk of damage from neglect increases. Good luck to you! I hope it all works out!
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    If you need help pricing guns for sale, maybe I can help. If you want, send me the info on a particular gun, and I'll research it as best as I can for its value and get back to you. Take it one gun at a time and see what happens. Maybe other forum members might help.

Boolit Master
    If you decide to have a local gunshop come to your house and give you a ball park estimate on what you have. Remind them that you wish to sell on consignment rather than an outright sale to the gunshop. Gunshops have to make some money and probably won't offer you anywhere near what a specific firearm is worth. I know of one that won't offer more than $125 for an outright sale regardless of what it is worth. If you have any collector grade firearms you may want to speak to an auction house and get a feel for what certain firearms will bring. Popular firearms would include just about any U.S. military firearms in very good to excellent condition. German WWII firearms such as lugers,P-38, 98K mausers and the like. Finnish firearms such as the model 27,model 39 in nice shape are decent sellers. Swedish mausers are also included. Hope some of this helps you out. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    I have a friend who’s nephew started his own Ebay business at 13 years old. He had enough money by the time he was 15 to buy his own car and pay for driving school. Most of what he sold was stuff that his extended family was going to donate to charity or throw away. Many of the things he sold he had to research, his aunt told me that a few times he didn’t even know what an item was called when it was given to him. But he did the research work and priced the items as accurately as he could. Not all of these kids are snowflakes.

So, my question for you is, do you have a young person in your life that could help you? An enterprising young person who you could split the proceeds of your sales with. A young person that you are fond of and would like to spend more time with. Maybe this person is one of your heirs.

Or maybe you have an old friend who has retired and needs an excuse to get out of the house, maybe he could help you. It could be a great way to reconnect with an old friend.

Just a few ideas,
    JM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast