Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationADvertise here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whatís the best way to clean recovered range lead?

My club has an indoor range with sand collectors below angled armor steel baffles. I snagged a sample of it one day and separated the lumps from the sand and lead dust. Obviously due to striking the steel baffles first there was a lot of lead dust. For giggles I melted the sand and lead dust mix. I got roughly 1/2 of the original weight back in the ingot and a half I got from this sandy portion. But it really was a bit of a pain and a lot of the lead did come back out in the scooped away sand. If I tried this again I think I'd swish it in a basin, let it settle then scoop off about the top 2/3's of the sand that would be on top of the mostly lead dust and smaller lumps. Of course I'd need to let it dry first too. Still a lot of work though.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    My club has an indoor range with sand collectors below angled armor steel baffles. I snagged a sample of it one day and separated the lumps from the sand and lead dust. Obviously due to striking the steel baffles first there was a lot of lead dust. For giggles I melted the sand and lead dust mix. I got roughly 1/2 of the original weight back in the ingot and a half I got from this sandy portion. But it really was a bit of a pain and a lot of the lead did come back out in the scooped away sand. If I tried this again I think I'd swish it in a basin, let it settle then scoop off about the top 2/3's of the sand that would be on top of the mostly lead dust and smaller lumps. Of course I'd need to let it dry first too. Still a lot of work though.
    You really don't have to let it dry as long as you put it in a cold pot before you light the burner. The moisture will cook out before the lead melts. But you are right, never add it to a pot holding molten lead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12