Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: 450 Bushmaster MP45 Ruger 320

Banner Sponsor

450 Bushmaster MP45 Ruger 320

Hi guys, I've been playing with the 450 Bushmaster, Ruger AR, trying to get a cast load that will shoot well. I think I'm getting close.
    This is the rifle, except it is wearing a Vortex 1-4 scope now.

I had previously tried some 405s subsonic with great results at 1089fps, but when I tried to go faster they went all over the place. I also tried the Lee 300 from 1600-1800fps with very bad groups.

I was digging through my stuff and came across a mold I must have bought a few years ago and promptly lost. It's the MP 45 Ruger Only LFN style plain base.

I cast a bunch from WW + tin, and powder coated them with Kawasaki Green. They came out at .455" and I did not size them.
    I seated them out to 2.230" to just engage the rifling, but still allow me to extract a live round without pulling the bullet. A trip through Quickload gave a starting point of 36gns of IMR 4227. I loaded 5 rounds at .5gn increments along with a couple extra at 36gns to warm up the barrel before shooting groups.
    At 37 grains and 1749fps, things started looking good with a group about 2" at 75 yards. 37.5 grains, 1777fps, looked even better with 4 grouping fairly tight and one flyer that opened the group to 1.90" . 38 grains gave 1808fps and the group opened up to around 4".
    While casting, I dropped some in a bucket of water to try hard vs soft boolits. I powder coated the water dropped ones with Harbor Freight Red to keep them seperate. I went back and tried 37 to 38 grains with 37 grains giving a nice cluster of 4 shots and one flyer that opened up the group to 1.75".
    I realize that they were only 5 shot groups, not 10 shots, but it gave me some hope and a place to start fine tuning the load.

My intended use will be for pig hunting in southern Arkansas where most of the shooting is from 50-100yds. So I don't need the most accurate load, but would still like to get them all to snuggle closer if possible.

Does anyone have a good heavy cast load for the 450 in an AR platform?

Banner Sponsor

I tried the same load today but with the bullets sized to .454" and lubed. They were all over the target, so all of my further testing will be done with powder coated bullets.
    I'd like to get some more velocity out of them, so I think I'll try some RL-7, 4198 or CFE BLK next.