WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Got my letter from Shiloh, suggestions needed

Boolit Man

Got my letter from Shiloh, suggestions needed

Hello guys,

Just received my letter from Shiloh today letting me know that my rifle is going into production in a few weeks. Rifle on order is a long range express with 26" round barrel chambered for the 50-70 Government. Rifle was ordered with standard wood and the only thing I splurged on was the pack harden option. I will be using this rifle next fall within the limited firearm zone in southwest Michigan for deer, hence the caliber selection (one of only two sharps calibers legal in my area, the other being the 40-50 sharps straight), and will start the load development process as soon as the rifle arrives at my FFL.

I have dies and brass on order, and already have a Lyman 515141 mold. A few questions for those that have experience loading this caliber:

1. Is the Lyman 515141 bullet ok for hunting, or should I settle on something with more meplat?

2. I have a large stock of 1:20 alloy, is this soft enough or should I go softer/harder?

3. Black powder will be the only powder type used for this rifle, any need for a wad between the bullet and powder?

4. I have Swiss 3F, 2F, 1.5F, and 1F on hand, what is your favorite for this caliber?

5. Any other tips or info regarding the rifle or caliber would be appreciated.

Boolit Master
    I don’t shoot a .50, so my one request for clarification would be on the rifling twist you are choosing for your new Shiloh. The Ideal 515141 was, I believe, a copy of the original boolit for the original shallow twist rifles in .50-70. Faster twists are available for heavier boolits for mid-to-long range target shooting. Either twist rate would work for hunting, of course, but a somewhat longer boolit for the steeper twist would increase the rifle’s versatility and ranging capability, if you want to play with gongs between hunting seasons.

Just from my reading of others’ evaluations, whatever width the meplat is on the Ideal boolit need not be a consideration. Anything that will put a 1/2” hole through a deer ought to be plenty.

You might move your question to the Blackpowder Powder Cartridge section here, or to the Shiloh Sharps web site. Those “in the know” hang out there, and you should get some actual .50 caliber users to respond.

Boolit Grand Master

I dont load for a 50 cal Yet, but do load BP in several calibers up to.( 38-55, 40-65, 45-70, 45-90). I use a lot of Olde Ensforde 1 1/2F. Remington std large rifle primers and starline brass. My recommendation would be once you have brass and bullets in hand. Find a charfe of BP that just fills the case to base of bullet with a .060 wad. This is the starting point. Work up 2 grns at a time to best accuracy and fouling Once this is found work at the mid point. If you can chronograph its a help seeing where your at. Also watch standard deviation and extreme spread. These will drop as compression goes up.

Here is one of my loads to give an idea
    45-90 Remington Hepburn C Sharps reproduction Bullet is a 547 grn old west silhouette
    Starline cases. trimmed deburred chamfered Primer pockets uniformed and flash holes deburred
    Remington std Large rifle primer hand seated
    86 grns 1 1/2F Olde Ensforde dropped into case with a 3' drop tube. This helps settle the powder into place use a slow pour.
    1 .060 Napa rubber fiber gasket wad, 2 tracing paper wads. Heavy wad protects bullets base and seals the tracing paper keep the heavy wad from staying with the bullet.
    Compress powder to seating depth. This load is about .125
    fire formed brass hand seat the bullet down on to wads and use sizer just enough to set tension

This load shoots very accurate and has a es of 9 fps. over 10 rds. It will clean rams at 500yds in the local matches

Boolit Buddy
    I think for a BP hunting load I might mix the 1:20 alloy 50/50 with pure lead for a 1:40 alloy. That gumball won't require a replay or velocity (which you won't get anyway).

Boolit Man
    Thanks guys for all the great info!

Boolit Master
    I have a rolling block with a take off sharps barrel it was a .50-140 had it changed to .50-70. that Lyman bullet shoots good in mine but I had mountain molds make me a large meplat 450 gr. bullet that works great and is very accurate also the lee 515 gr. bullet shoots good to both good game bullets and I use 3f goex and a veg fiber wad. also I crimp my hunting loads my lyman dies don't size the brass enough.

Boolit Master
    I hunt with an 1866 trapdoor. I use the Lyman boolit, 20/1, and as much 2f as I can get under the boolit, the proper lube and a large rifle primer.

It takes a little while pediment it to find the correct amount of powder. I take a 45-70 case and use it as a scoop. Scoop up enough powder to fill the 45 case, wipe off the excess even with the case mouth. Pour into the primed 50 case, either with a drop tube or a slow pour through a funnel. Enough room to seat a boolit? If not, shorten the 45 case and try again. (An adjustable measure for BP would also work and once found cut off a 45 or 50 case to length.) Add a lubed boolit and shoot for group. Once you are happy, load up 50 or so and enjoy the hunt.

My method of loading has been referred to as not suitable for targets but since it is for hunting, I am happy. Target shooters are looking for as much uniformity as possible, the tiniest group. I am happy with softball sized groups at the longest range I will hunt. A bullet 1 1/2 or two inches around my point of aim is sufficient for hunting. Smaller groups are better but my method will get it done.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

If you feel you need more of a flat nose on that bullet I'm sure it be easily enough to drill a 1/2" hole in a board to the proper depth so a small part of the nose is sticking out and swipe it a time or three with a file
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Moderator Emeritus

Drive over and pick it up. Big Timber has less than an inch of snow and you will see some gorgeous scenery. Only tip I got.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

no suggestions but I sure am jealous!