WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Winchester 1886 made by Uberti.

Boolit Master

Winchester 1886 made by Uberti.

Recently got a Uberti made Winchester Model 1886. I really like it, but it's got a horrendously hard trigger pull. My Lyman Trigger Pull Gauge goes up to 12#, and it's way above that. What to do?

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Carefully work hammer and trigger for a starter...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    Recently got a Uberti made Winchester Model 1886. I really like it, but it's got a horrendously hard trigger pull. My Lyman Trigger Pull Gauge goes up to 12#, and it's way above that. What to do?

Don
    mine is a Uberti 1876 - these things are sprung like a tank - maybe someone makes a spring kit ? my main spring was way over and also trigger spring
    Got a Chiappa 86 more recent - same deal - made a new mainspring for it and spent a lot of time cycling a dummy round through it - most of the problem is springs too heavy, strong/ or over tensioned tight.

Check the spring tension screw if you have one? Might be tightened all the way.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post

Don
    A Winchester copy?

The Winchester branded lever guns are made by Miroku in Japan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    A Winchester copy?

The Winchester branded lever guns are made by Miroku in Japan
    They are all "copies" ----Chiappa makes the closest to original specs

I don't have an '86, but on most of my other leverguns that have coil-type hammer springs, I've had good luck just chopping off some of the spring. I use my Dremel with a cutoff disc, and just remove a coil at a time until I'm happy.

Makes them MUCH easier to cycle and helps the trigger a lot. On my Rossi 92's, I take off about 1/4". On my 94AE Trapper, that thing had a PIG of a spring! I bought a reduced strength spring from Wolff, and still cut 3 coils off of it.

Don't know why, but they all seemed to be grossly over-sprung. Lightening up that hammer spring makes everything work better for me, and there's still plenty of power to smack the firing pin. I could probably shorten them even more.

And if you cut off too much, you can use small washers for spacers, but new springs are cheap. See what Wolff Gunsprings has to offer too.

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    They are all "copies" ----Chiappa makes the closest to original specs
    Can confirm. Parts are interchangeable with originals.

Boolit Master
    The only thing I know for sure is, Uberti uses a leaf-type mainspring like the original and not a coil spring like Browning/Miroku.

Don
    NRA Life Member

no matter what, you bought a OSHA approved COPY of a real rifle and are going to pay the price as you will never convince yourself you have a 86 with the OSHA safety and other Improvements over a real 86...………….

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by winchester 71 View Post
    no matter what, you bought a OSHA approved COPY of a real rifle and are going to pay the price as you will never convince yourself you have a 86 with the OSHA safety and other Improvements over a real 86...………….
    The Uberti is quite-accurate reproduction with no safety is present on the tang or is a cross-bolt hammer block safety on the rifle. "OSHA approved"?????????? OSHA does not have any influence on the design of a firearm other than regulating safety in the work place.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Yeah, winchester 71's post left me scratching my head as well?

Don
    NRA Life Member

Does the Uberti '86 have links to the Pedersoli '86. I have heard that Pedersoli makes the action for the Uberti Sharps maybe there is a similar tie there also.

I have the Pedersoli model '86 45/70 sporting rifle with 26" barrel and it is a very good shooted with open sights.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by winchester 71 View Post
    So he bought a copy ...................what are guns for ? I thought for shooting with, not for hanging on the wall to brag over

the copy is better quality steel, more accurate barrel, some of em more attractive externally than the originals were,

If you have a shootable original and use it as such you have a firearm that is inferior in almost every way to the best of the copies.

If you are a collector and have high value collectables - what do you have? you got the leftover one that some wannabee a hundred years ago bought with spare cash and hid in a closet - the well used old ones are all wore out, rusted out or blown up.

Except for the lawyer safety stuff the copies all honour the original design and function but vastly superior mettalurgy - I dont see where the problem is .

Boolit Master
    BAW,

There does appear to be a link between Pedersoli and Uberti. Both make a Hunter Light model which is what I have, and by all appearances they are identical.

Don
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Contacted Pedersoli regarding whether there is cooperation between them and Uberti on their respective 1886 models, and received the following reply:

Dear Mr. Kakretz,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We do have some co-operations with Uberti Company, unfortunately not for their 1886 model.

You should contact them directly, they will be able to help you.

Best regards,

Customer service

Guess that answers that question.

Don
    NRA Life Member