MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've been given a gift - what all do I have?

Boolit Master

I've been given a gift - what all do I have?

So I have been blessed to have formed a relationship with an old shooter and reloader. He'll turn 96 this month and still gets up every morning and does books over at the auto repair joint he founded. He is one of my parishioners and is a grand old gentleman with a huge heart. WWII fighter pilot, mechanic, machinist, and at least one Iowa State Trapshooting championship under his belt. Anyway, whenever I visit we inevitably talk about guns and such at some point and I've brought a few conversation pieces over. Last time I visited he said, "I'm too old to shoot my rifles and reload for them any more. I've asked my kids and grandkids, but none of them are really interested in my reloading stuff. So I'm going to give some of it to you. No arguing. I need to get it cleaned up a bit and detached from the bench." Ok. I won't argue, as it would be an insult to him. He called me Sunday to let me know that he had his stuff ready. I got over to his place today to pick it up. As near as I can tell, I am now the owner of an RCBS 2A press, RCBS Powder Master dispenser and scale, an RCBS benchtop priming setup, RCBS Trim Pro Power Case trimmer, RCBS Uniflow Powder measure and stand (stand appears to be homemade), and an RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center. I fired up the scale and dispenser and they power on and calibrate properly, though they are incredibly slow in dispensing. The trimmer has some rust on the shaft, but can be cleaned up. I've already got a pretty nice set of metallic reloading equipment - Forster Co-Ax press, Forster case trimmers, Dillon 550C, Harrell's powder measure, Lyman and Ohaus balance scales, etc. I'm not sure how soon I'll get to put this stuff to use, but it feels like a certain sort of inheritance that I cannot and should not sell off to anyone. What do you all think? Opinions on any of this equipment? I don't have any duplicates of what I have received. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCBS tools.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	256097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2A.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	256098
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    A very nice gift. Not better than what you have but good stuff never the less. My thought would be to hang on to the stuff and use what you like. Then in a few years, maybe after the old gent has be called to rejoin his squadron, find a suitable young man (or woman) and (gift)pass on the equipment and its history to them as a start on another round of our hobby and passion. Many of us are in the situation of the old guy. No one to pass our stuff on to and we won't be able to enjoy the small amount that the stuff will bring at the yard sale/ estate auction.

Boolit Grand Master

Your friend sounds like a great guy. It would be interesting to visit with him.

I would keep the equipment and use it. If I were to get rid of it I would see that someone that I cared for got it.

A friend had a friend give him a bunch of reclaimed shot and I made the trip with him to get it. The old Gentleman picked it up off of an airfield during WW2 where he was stationed. He was a Bullseye shooter and a Rodeo Contestant and a fun guy to talk with. He was on a shooting team in the Service and taught ariel gunnery during The War.

Enjoy your friends company whenever you can. Sadly, there are not a lot of WW2 guys still around.

Pretty awesome honor.

Banned
    The bench primer is the best there is, hands down. Using the 2A press is just near perfect. It's big and real easy to use. I have loaded thousands of rounds on mine. I cannot comment on the electronic gadgets, don't have experience with them. You have some great tools and a great personal story to go with them. Keepsakes.

If I may, where are you in Iowa? I was in Iowa Falls for several years.

Ken

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    The bench primer is the best there is, hands down. Using the 2A press is just near perfect. It's big and real easy to use. I have loaded thousands of rounds on mine. I cannot comment on the electronic gadgets, don't have experience with them. You have some great tools and a great personal story to go with them. Keepsakes.

If I may, where are you in Iowa? I was in Iowa Falls for several years.

Ken
    Currently in Britt since 2015. Was in Hampton from 2002-2010. Very familiar with Iowa Falls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by selmerfan View Post
    So I have been blessed ... RCBS Uniflow Powder measure and stand (stand appears to be homemade), and an RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center. I fired up the scale and dispenser and they power on and calibrate properly, though they are incredibly slow in dispensing. ...
    The power powder dispenser isn't for dispensing a full charge: you throw a charge that's a bit short w/ a standard measure [either Lee measuring spoons or a rotary, or what have you] and then let the electronic dispenser bring it up to the exact wt. you want.

Boolit Master

Looks like a golden opportunity to pay it forward. You were given some great reloading equipment, but you already have some great reloading equipment. Keep an eye out for someone getting started and gift them a peace or two. I just saw someone selling one of those presses for $250 on SS. I don't think a newbie would appreciate a press like that. Another option sell some and use the $$ to set up someone with a good solid press, scale, die to get them going. I think its the idea/spirit behind the gift, not the item. But, if you cast pearls before swine.....

Boolit Master

Man, cool story and some nice gear that you habe there. That press looks pretty rugged.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    That RCBS bench primer is a great deal. You won't realize its value until you use it. It is very fast, and has a good feel to how the primers seat. The only time I don't use mine is when loading on the Dillon.

Boolit Master

Nice, find someone who deserves it and teach them how to use. And where it came from!

Very nice gift and a great friendship. Sounds like the man knew his stuff with all the RCBS equipment. Congratulations !

Banned
    More important than probably the reloading equipment that you received is the friendship of an older gentleman that has apparently led quite a life. Having lost my father 15 years ago the idea of being able to just sit down and chat with a gentleman that age with that much experience would be great. One thing I miss about Iowa was the smaller towns that I got to visit when I ran service calls and installed sound systems. A church install in a small town generally brought out a number of people and your mention of this fine gentleman has brought back precious memories of almost 30 years of doing it. I hope you cherish your friend and do your best to make him part of your life.

Thank you for sharing this.

Boolit Master
    What a blessing to have a man like that call you friend .

Boolit Master
    I noticed in your second picture that you have a Griswold pot sitting there. Was that part of the gift you received? My grandmother did a lot of cooking in a pot exactly like that from about 1925 on as she received it for a wedding gift. When she was approaching the end when she was about 96 years old, she gave me that pot as I was the one that always enjoyed learning how to cook when we were together. I used that pot often, on my wood cookstove to make some wonderful deer soups and stews. Then, about 5 years ago it started developing a crack and started leaking. So, now it is hanging on the wall as a display piece. I looked for another one to replace it for cooking, but finally bought one about the same size made by Lodge. But I am still looking for that Griswold pot as it always makes the best food! I hope you use yours often.

If you are interested in gifting any items, contact BrassMagnet on this forum. He does a Christmas Tumbleweed gift. I was a recipient this past year. Really cool deal.
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

Boolit Master
    If it was me I would hang onto all the items from your friend for a while. Use it even though you have a pretty good spread already. With time, thought and reflection you will see a path with the items you have surplus to your needs.

A similar relationship could open up and you will be the donor/seller and another younger shooter will perhaps come to be friends with you.

Your friend would appreciate you finding a good home for his stuff but I think he would offended if you started moving surplus stuff while he is living.

I have the RCBS powder dispenser like you have and it will work stand alone (but very slow) or with a mechanical measure throwing charges short and then automatically trickling up to weight.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    I noticed in your second picture that you have a Griswold pot sitting there. Was that part of the gift you received? My grandmother did a lot of cooking in a pot exactly like that from about 1925 on as she received it for a wedding gift. When she was approaching the end when she was about 96 years old, she gave me that pot as I was the one that always enjoyed learning how to cook when we were together. I used that pot often, on my wood cookstove to make some wonderful deer soups and stews. Then, about 5 years ago it started developing a crack and started leaking. So, now it is hanging on the wall as a display piece. I looked for another one to replace it for cooking, but finally bought one about the same size made by Lodge. But I am still looking for that Griswold pot as it always makes the best food! I hope you use yours often.
    No. Definitely not. That Griswold was my paternal grandparents and is now mine and used very regularly.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    If it was me I would hang onto all the items from your friend for a while. Use it even though you have a pretty good spread already. With time, thought and reflection you will see a path with the items you have surplus to your needs.

A similar relationship could open up and you will be the donor/seller and another younger shooter will perhaps come to be friends with you.

Your friend would appreciate you finding a good home for his stuff but I think he would offended if you started moving surplus stuff while he is living.

I have the RCBS powder dispenser like you have and it will work stand alone (but very slow) or with a mechanical measure throwing charges short and then automatically trickling up to weight.

Three44s
    Hanging onto it is definitely the plan. I have five kids ranging from 16 years to almost 2 year old twins. The 16 & 14 year old daughters both love to hunt and shoot and some interest in loading.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd put it to use for no other reason than to figure out the proper way to use it so when you do hand it down, your experienced with how it works and can mentor the next recipient.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast