Boolit Grand Master

corn planter

just bought a 2 row corn planter
    plan on planting a 1-1.5 acre for the wildlife this coming year
    anyone else plant for critters?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I plant for me if it draws certain animals in closer, it kinda make em easier to hunt. PETA people eating tasty animals
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    I plant purple hull peas for me and the deer, they get most of them tho.

Boolit Grand Master

I plant Sunflowers for a Dove hunt that I host for friends. Usually 10 but sometime 20 acres. I plant Oats for Deer food plots. Usually under 5 acres. And I plant about 400 acres of Millet, Rice, Soy Beans and Corn at 2 different Duck Clubs.

At Deer camp I use a 70 HP tractor, an 8ft disc and broadcast the seeds. Every place else I use a 24 ft disc and a 180 HP tractor and plant with a drill. If its really wet I have it flown on.

Boolit Grand Master
    I plant oats and wheat usually. Have a drill and an old two row planter too. Deer usually eat all the corn plants once they get about 6" tall so quit that, so its just usually oats.

Boolit Master
    I plant 3 acres of corn each year. I bought a 4 row John Deere 7000. The big boys only use them for spot planting now. You might get one of them to do it for you when they do theirs late in the season..I have bought a 12 foot disk now and are looking for a Cult i - packer ..My corn planter was cheaper because it was a "Wide Row (38 inches) . I just turn around and go back down the center of those wide rows. Doesn't have to be straight or perfect. The DEER get it all any way.. Tell the big farmers you are planting "LURE"crops to get the away from there's...I DO USE A LOT OF FERTILIZER....Think 250 bushel corn...

Make sure those rows are real straight, the deer are pretty picky.

Boolit Grand Master

We planted High protein alfalfa where the AT&T lines went thru the woods. Had some really nice deer and antlers

Boolit Buddy
    Last summer was so dry here, even the weeds died. And it’s still very dry.

Boolit Master
    i have an old two row with a tree growing thru it. last used it in 1996, IIRC

Boolit Master

I plant at the marsh
    Oats & Millet with a no till drill and a 100 HP tractor
    Others plant sorghum ( Not sure what with ) and corn with a no till 8 row planter

Either Dad or I plant corn , oats , string beans and pumpkins
    Corn and String beans with the 8 row corn no till planter and a 120 HP tractor
    Oats with the no till drill and a 100 HP tractor
    Pumpkins by hand in hills in the corn

My Brother will be planting 20 - 30 acers of sunflowers for doves next year
    As I have some land I leased , but it can't be planted with anything we harvest
    So it will be bush hogged

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    The only critters I plant for are my wife and I, and I built a fence around that plot to keep the unwanted critters out. Deer and other critters have plenty to eat around here. I do not need to feed them.

Boolit Grand Master

Well ... Sort of .
    I plant and the first person / bird or critter who gets to it , eats it .

I plant large Sunflowers for looks and the birds and squirrels love the Sunflower seeds . They like Satsumas and Pears but don't care much for Grapefruit and will not bother Meyer Lemons at all . There is plenty of citrus for every body including the raccoon !.
    The raccoons and/or squirrels eat a few tomatoes but leave enough for us .
    They don't seem to bother the peppers and okra I grow .
    I don't mind sharing with the wildlife as long as they leave me some.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Congratulations ..it's fun to feed the wildlife ...and the activity of working outdoors is a bonus ...but i will suggest one additional thought ..here in Missouri raccoons are thick as fleas ..a 1 to 2 AC corn field will be on the ground (raccoons) before the corn even comes close to filled out ..So if you have raccoons and want corn available to feed the deer to winter on then I suggest an electric fence (solar) with a wire at 8" and and then TAPE with flags on the tape every 20/30' ..with tape at 24" and 48"
    It really is a bummer to see something intended for all wildlife destroyed by such a small segment such as raccoons when the deer,turkey,squirrels and birds in general ..if you plan an electric fence BEFORE you plant it is eazzy by leaving a row for fence and keeping it sprayed/clear ..but going to electric fence AFTER planting and runaway vegetation is a nightmare

Have fun
    Bear
    Bear

Boolit Master

I plant roundup ready sugar beets, soybeans and corn. Conventional winter rye is also planted in the 3-4 year crop rotation. Soil test your ground for available nutrients. It's cheep. Fertilizer is not but if your going to spend your weekends tending your food plots might as well have the yield. The deer don't mind the fact that most of the plots are round up ready. They like the taste and I like the taste of the deer.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yeah I like deer to and now that we have a new way of processing our venison
    we don't have enough like we used to,we mainly cut into steaks n such but now
    we grind for hamburger and breakfast sausage and the like so what we normally
    get is not lasting like it used to
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

I like deer and plant food plots for wildlife - 3.5 acres of WGF sorghum, rye grain cereal, and peas, wheat, or oats. The hogs get to it ALL, mostly at night. They love the newly turned earth and the smell of the sewn seed (I guess). Show their carcasses in daylight and its lights out, provided I am there to pull the trigger, and I get a lot of pig trigger time. Mostly, they just ruin what would have been fun to lure deer.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    we plant 6 food plots here at the house each year with,clay iron peas.turnips,rape,radishes,soybeans,oats and clover,we also feed corn,peanuts and 4s protein in 6 feeders year round