Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Casting ventilation hood

Boolit Buddy

Casting ventilation hood

About $25 into this for fan and duct. Had under cabinet lights and fireproof drywall in addition to the scrap wood. Hoping the lights can take the heat. Haven’t fired it up yet. I’ve been wanting to cast when the weather is less than accommodating. Maybe a 9mm session this weekend.

Good job.

If I lived somewhere that had a real winter, and couldn't use a 'flow through the garage' big fan,
    I'd be all over making something like that.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

That is almost like my set up I use a exhaust fan for a bathroom to suck the smoke and fumes out. You will need to test it with smoke to see how it will work for you . I have my closer to the pipe and use a plywood with holes drill in it to spread the suction . Other wise it will suck the heat out of the room. That is why I say to test it . I have the pipe go to the old chimney for all to be blown out of the room this is what I found works for me .I cast anytime of the year this way. But is best to smelt out side.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    This is in an unused, attached garage that we use for projects, heated to 60 in winter. Door to basement is behind me and I’ll use the well window in there for fresh air. Exhaust is good with smoke from an ecig.

Boolit Master
    You may want to add a lip on the front of the top to prevent smoke from fluxing overflowing from the cabinet. Try to keep the discharge hose as short and as straight as you can. Hot air wants to rise. I have considered adding a light lower on the side of the cabinet to make it easier to watch the alloy flow into the mold.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    You may want to add a lip on the front of the top to prevent smoke from fluxing overflowing from the cabinet.
    Trying to visualize this ... like a 2” deep plastic or hard rubber panel placed a downward angle?

Boolit Master

Thanks for sharing. I have been putting this off for too long. Been looking for a hood on the cheap. Didn't think to fabricate one. Thanks again.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Boolit Master

All good ideas. The light to watch the flow is good. Just rigged one on my casting setup and it makes a big difference. I have a "spare" chimney in the house left over from a coal fired stoker furnace. Now, a rig like that would allow me to vent through the spare chimney and I could cast in the cold months.
    Good thinking./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    Now, a rig like that would allow me to vent through the spare chimney and I could cast in the cold months.
    Good thinking./beagle
    Yeah, we had a spare in our basement as well but the wife wanted me in the garage. I used a foam board that slides into the garage window (casement) that the hose is tied into.

Boolit Master
    Looks good! I don’t have that problem I cast outdoors. But where I am at in Virginia’s rarely dips below 30°, and if it does it’s only for a day or two. I have more of a problem with rain. Especially since I can’t seem to get the wife to agree to hold an umbrella over me and the lead pot
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Banned
    Nice setup -- I agree with putting a lip in front, I'd go with 6" plexiglass of you'll have smoke rolling out in your face when fluxing.

OR--- attach a 8-12" round tube to the top and have it come down to within a few inches of the top. *** IF there is no air coming into the garage the vent won't work well trying to suck the air out of a closed room

Thought #2, take as much slack out of the vent tube as possible. I ended up going with solid tubing and it worked much better
    [this is also true with clothes driers IF you switch out flex hose for solid tubing to the outdoors you'll speed up drying time and lower power consumption.

kind of like this (don't remember where I stole this picture from )

Boolit Buddy

Casting ventilation hood

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Nice setup -- I agree with putting a lip in front, I'd go with 6" plexiglass of you'll have smoke rolling out in your face when fluxing.
    I ended up fabricating a 6” high, hinged clear plate that I’ll attach to the top. Great idea and thanks for the feedback.

Boolit Master
    Previous home did similar using a range hood, hung on chains with side curtains, and ducted to a window.. Once done removed the side curtains and hooked the chains higher to keep it out of the way. Fan speed was adjustable and it already had a light. Casting area where I am now has two windows and a fan in a box goes into one and crack the other window for cross ventilation.. This fan came from a scrapped range hood as well. Don't smelt indoors so minimal smoke from fluxing.

Boolit Master
    I do the smelting outdoors. Casting is done in the basement with a bathroom exhaust fan for ventilation. There are no fumes or smoke from the CLEAN lead. The only smoke is from the candle wax fluxing and it dissipates quickly.

Boolit Master
    If you are concerned about the heat effect on the blub, use a blub designed for a stove oven.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    ... 6" plexiglass of you'll have smoke rolling out in your face when fluxing.

Great idea ... added a 6” lid on hinges... did a few tests and smoke rolls nicely and stayed in the box.

When I built my gun / reloading room we used a stainless steel stove fan with 3 speeds and a built in light for my casting bench. It keeps up to my old RCBS 20 pound bottom pour pot no problem. (This was during construction and now of course you can barely see the bench for "stuff" ...) After this photo we ducted it directly outside (the wall directly to the right of the bench by the door with a "dryer flap").

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

This is just one more reason why I really like this place. I was thinking of this as well but with an old recycled stove hood (which I don't have but would have to beat the bushes for). The original post idea makes my idea a lot more complex I think. I need to do something like this because now I have to open the door in the middle of winter if I want to cast.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    This is just one more reason why I really like this place. I was thinking of this as well but with an old recycled stove hood (which I don't have but would have to beat the bushes for). The original post idea makes my idea a lot more complex I think. I need to do something like this because now I have to open the door in the middle of winter if I want to cast.
    I am right there with you ... I fired it up last night and cast about 300, 125gr 9mm. Worked sweet... the addition of the 6” plexi plate was a must have. Coated and resized today ... so nice not to have to wait till spring.

I have been wanting to do something like this, great ideas! Thanks
    Aim Small Miss Small

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast