Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Can anyone help me work out what this gun is

Boolit Bub

Can anyone help me work out what this gun is

Been told it's Persian it's five foot long huge breach two inches across 1 inch bore at the end barrel is 42 inches long it's percussion. I have never liked Persian or middle East guns they look like they where made in someone's garage, any help identifying this it's smoothbore very heavy someone said it could be a rampart or wall gun

Sent from my Armor_X using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    This looks something like a punt gun from the Chesapeake Bay.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jkrem View Post
    This looks something like a punt gun from the Chesapeake Bay.
    what he said.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    From Wikipedia - A punt gun is a type of extremely large shotgun used in the 19th and early 20th centuries for shooting large numbers of waterfowl for commercial harvesting operations. These weapons are characteristically too large for an individual to fire from the shoulder or often carry by themselves, but unlike artillery pieces, punt guns are able to be aimed and fired by a single man from a mount. In this case, the mount is typically a small watercraft. Many early models appear similar to over-sized versions of shoulder weapons of the time with full-length wooden stocks with a normal-sized shoulder stock. Most later variations do away with the full-length stock—especially more modern models—and have mounting hardware fixed to the gun to allow them to be fitted to a pintle.

Not an expert but not sure any Persian guns had back action locks and agree with what's been said about a boat mounted punt gun for waterfowl
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master

I have not dog in this fight, but I always consider the punt guns to be cannons. Something bigger than that, and no more fancy than a barrel mounted to a board. To me that pictured gun is a shoulder fired gun. It is decorated, has sights, and is right at 4 bore. To me, that looks like the kind of gun they used back in the day for trips to Africa to hunt the largest game on earth.

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-04-2020 at 11:44 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Punt guns were made as small as 8 gauge with relatively short barrels. Since it is appears to be a smooth bore chances are it's not a big game gun.

Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-05-2020 at 06:43 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for your help looks like it's been converted from flintlock or maybe something earlier

Sent from my Armor_X using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    not PERSIAN JUNK! but a great PUNT GUN.a great score!!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Definitely not a punt gun. Punt guns were generally around 10 feet long. Not a rampart gun, no swivel mount. Just a plain big game gun.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Sure looks like a punt gun to me.

Boolit Grand Master

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

All I know is that I don't think that it's something I'd like to fire...……

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Its interesting for sure. It looks like it was converted from flint lock. Wall guns usually had yokes like swivel cannons. (I've owned 5 swivel cannon.) It has rear sights. That heavy of a breech... seems out of place. The piece seems out of proportion to me. Still, if pressed, I'd call it a wall gun... for use defending a fort or ship.
    NRA Life Member
    member South County Rod & Gun Club