RepackboxInline FabricationADvertise hereRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 45ACP 200 grain SWC as a defense load

I shot a deer with 185gr WC at 750fps. 40yds, kilt it dead, it did flop for a few seconds but through shot had a great effect on its oil pressure. 44special.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I shot a deer with 185gr WC at 750fps. 40yds, kilt it dead, it did flop for a few seconds but through shot had a great effect on its oil pressure. 44special.
    A wadcutter is a different deal. That's a bullet with essentially a .420" meplat. The H&G #68 has about a .180" meplat, about what you find on many 30 caliber cast bullets. If you could get a 200 grain FN 30 caliber bullet to penetrate straight at 900 fps, it would be about as effective as the 45 acp H&G #68. I would think such a load would tumble the second it hit, so there really is no comparison.

I would always choose the H&G #68 over a FMJ in 45 acp, unless there is a reliability problem. I would also choose a 255 gr SWC or flat nose over the #68 if hunting. The #68 is a very accurate target bullet first, that also does a good job for other purposes.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Interesting. I would have thought the 200 grain boolit with a "flatter" front end would slow down more as it went through stuff.
    I have never seen a penetration test with this type of boolit so I don't really have any data to go by. If you know of a test, please send me a link. I would love to check it out.
    Taz, this is a 230 grain bullet with a .32" meplat at hardball speed, but it kinda illustrates what megasupermagnum is talking about:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LBT 452230 LFN Jug Test.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	256357

The fired one on the right was recovered from the ninth gallon milk jug in the stack. If I had a bizarre need to defensively kill an elk with a 1911, I would have ZERO doubts about that load being able to make it to the Tootsie Roll center of the Tootsiepop.

30 grains less metal but maybe 200 fps faster with less frontal area may not be something I'd take on a Panzer tank with, but I'd consider recovery from a human torso doubtful.

I imagine what you're likely going to have is a similar terminal effect to hardball, but with less recoil.
    WWJMBD?

"I'M MELLLLLLLLLLTING!" - Elphaba

Boolit Grand Master

I run the Lee out of mine and use it for plinking with my 45LC's. Works great for me.
    I am become death. The destroyer of worlds

We all do our duty when there is not cost to it, honor comes easier then. Sooner or later there comes a day in every man's life when it is not so easy, a day when he must choose and live with it for the rest of his days.

The further society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it
    George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I imagine what you're likely going to have is a similar terminal effect to hardball, but with less recoil.
    That is exactly what I am looking for.

I did a little checking today on meplat sizes. It seems most of the damage from a boolit is inflicted by the meplat. The larger the meplat, the more damage is done.
    Most 45ACP SWC boolits have relatively small meplat area.
    I just checked the Lee 452-200 RF. It has a .340 meplat. Considerably larger than any of the others. These feed like water through a funnel in all my 45ACP pistols.
    I tested these in my guns yesterday and got excellent accuracy in all the pistols.
    I think I may have found the best choice for my 200 grain load.

What was the OAL of that load. My Colts won't feed 100% with any thing under 1.240"
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

I don't have any loaded this instant. I shot the ones I had loaded at the range.
    I had the boolit seated at the top edge of the crimp groove right at the mouth of the case. So 1.150 for OAL.
    This runs through my Springfield mil spec without any issues. I have not modified my ramp or barrel from factory dimensions. I also have a spare barrel that is from a Colt 70 series that fits in that 1911 and they work fine there also.
    What I was trying them for was my Springfield XDM 45.
    I originally loaded them for an XD 45 and they worked there also.
    Last edited by tazman; 02-11-2020 at 09:19 PM.

I've tried Lee's 200gr. TL and RCBS 200gr. SWC They both will stove pipe on the last round. Lee's H&G style 200gr. works fine loaded at 1.250" OAL This is my every day carry load.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post
    I've tried Lee's 200gr. TL and RCBS 200gr. SWC They both will stove pipe on the last round. Lee's H&G style 200gr. works fine loaded at 1.250" OAL This is my every day carry load.
    That's the biggest disadvantage of a semi-auto in my opinion. It doesn't matter how great a bullet is if it doesn't feed well. Some seem to feed anything, some are touchy. Anything that only feeds hardball is broken IMO, but many disagree.

I went to my reloading room and made up a few of them to check. The correct OAL for my load is 1.150.
    I corrected the previous post.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is really not a knock against an autoloader that they work well at a particular overall length assuming that encompasses suitable ammo. Too short is inherently less reliable.

Once it is figured out it is better to feed the gun what it wants rather than what you want to feed it life gets a lot more rewarding and much less aggravating.

Boolit Grand Master
    One may notice, for instance, that jacketed HP designs for the 45 ACP have gravitated toward looking exactly like a ball round that has a hollowpoint scooped out of it. They didn’t used to look like that.

Another example of figuring out what feeds reliably and going with it. Only took decades, which seems odd in retrospect.

I have noticed that. Also the Lee 200 rf has the shape of a ball round with the tip of the nose cut off. May be why it works for me.

Boolit Master

A good long nosed 200gr swc at @900fps does a lot of things very well. I would feel safe for SD as long as my gun was 100% reliable. Otherwise I'd use ball.........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    dgilbert07 at windstream dot net

Boolit Master

The .45 ACP does a lot of things right. Hardball or SWC are both reasonable choices so long as they are reliable. There could be a better choice of course, but in most cases I think it's splitting hairs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123