WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: raise Lee press from bench

I have my presses mounted on thick plywood... 5/8 - 3/4 inch... carriage bolts recessed from underneath. I use a couple of big **** C clamps to hold it to the bench. I left the C lamp spot as a gap but finished the edge with an aluminum strip to keep cases and primers from going to the floor. Over many years, I've been glad I didn't bolt it to my bench top directly... like I did on my first couple of benches.
    Last edited by flagman1776; 02-07-2020 at 12:43 PM.
    NRA Life Member
    member South County Rod & Gun Club

Boolit Buddy
    Someone on another forum (i think) posted this recently as an option... I bought one to try. You have to be creative with it but it looks interesting so I bought one. Haven’t had a chance yet (but for $13 why not...)

MaxxHaul Powder Coat Black 70214 Trailer Spare Tire Carrier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RJKB2FQ..._tYmpEb9VJF19T

Boolit Master
    That does look pretty good. Is it 12 inches high? Let us know how it works. I found a bunch of items at the hardware store that I could use, but decided just to buy the pre-made riser.

Boolit Master
    I bought the 9 1/2" riser from Inline Fabrications, and I'm glad I did. It's heavy, well made, sturdy and it looks better than anything I could have made. Good people to deal with, very fast (free) shipping).
    https://inlinefabrication.com/collec...ounting-system
    Last edited by Battis; 02-09-2020 at 10:31 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by djryan13 View Post
    Someone on another forum (i think) posted this recently as an option... I bought one to try. You have to be creative with it but it looks interesting so I bought one. Haven’t had a chance yet (but for $13 why not...)

MaxxHaul Powder Coat Black 70214 Trailer Spare Tire Carrier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RJKB2FQ..._tYmpEb9VJF19T
    I made my own, but that looks like a good starting point for someone without a welder,etc.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I have a 2x6 in between the bench and the press.
    I use a 2x10 with a piece of metal plate on top and clamp the whole thing with C Clamps.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by flagman1776 View Post
    I have my presses mounted on thick plywood... 5/8 - 3/4 inch... carriage bolts recessed from underneath. I use a couple of big **** C clamps to hold it to the bench. I left the C lamp spot as a gap but finished the edge with an aluminum strip to keep cases and primers from going to the floor. Over many years, I've been glad I didn't bolt it to my bench top directly... like I did on my first couple of benches.
    I was contemplating various replies... and it came to me that the bench this is mounted to is already high, requires standing or a tall stool to work at.
    NRA Life Member
    member South County Rod & Gun Club

Boolit Master

Cheap wooden Riser, any height, any width, made from scraps

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    The spent primer tube hangs down the back of the press. From the base of the press to the top of the tube is 1 1/2". Which means that if the edge of the bench is more than 1 1/2" wide (or thick), which mine is (2 1/2"), the top of the tube will not be able to fit under the edge, and it will get squished. If I raise the press, or overhang it, the tube will be fine. I could probably remove the tube and let the spent primers drop into a bucket or whatever.
    A simple open box riser made from 2x6/2x8 might work to get that primer tube above the bench edge.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoodenRiser.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	256541
    I know it's a drill press, I done that for a loading press though
    You get the concept,

Edit: In keeping with the cheap reputation of reloaders, I've found it way cheaper to reach for a block of wood instead of a charge card
    Last edited by Kenstone; 02-11-2020 at 01:59 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    That does look pretty good. Is it 12 inches high? Let us know how it works. I found a bunch of items at the hardware store that I could use, but decided just to buy the pre-made riser.
    Nah, just measured. 6”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12