Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Completed my collection as far as I am going to today.

Boolit Master
    I still have my 514 I got when I was 12 years old. got my b.s.a. marksmanship badge with it.

I just got another 510 from a member here. Even though I probably didn’t have time to do it, I shot about 20 cb longs and about 20 Blazer lr out of it this afternoon broke some clays at 40 yards then mopped up the pieces. With the cb’s I moved up closer. It shoots sooo good!

I love these old rifles. They shoot every bit as well as the newer ones and they look so great in those walnut stocks.

Boolit Master
    Nice rifles Taz. I'm always on the lookout for old 22s myself.

My newest 510 is d&t! For When my eyes go bad it's ready for a scope.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I am a sucker for old Remington's and I have a few but always looking for other cheap 22. All of my Remingtons shoot very well. I bought a Remington 550-1 semi auto a few years back and really like shooting it better than the new stuff like the Ruger 10/22. I have 2- 510's, 3- 511's, 512, 513, 521, 550-1, 552, 41, 33 and a 34. The model 34 has a very unique cartridge lift mechanism and feeds ammo very smoothly. If you hit enough pawn shops these rifles can be found and many times at very reasonable priced. Good luck on your searching. For those that are interested in know or dating your old Remingtons, I've attach a document with date codes and model information below. An explanation of the date codes can be found here https://www.remingtonsociety.org/manufacture-dates/
    Remington Date Codes.pdf

wcp

Boolit Master

T by G; that is a fantastic looking 510; I need one to take up the last slot in my gun rack.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Here are a couple of pictures. First is the set.
    Attachment 256099

From top to bottom model 510, model 511, model 512

This picture is of the receiver of the 511 that my father configured for a scope mount of some kind.
    Attachment 256100
    If you blow the image up a bit you can see the rather poor condition of the blueing and pits from the rust. Nonetheless, I can't part with it because it was my father's rifle.
    It still shoots fine as of it's last trip to the range which was years ago. I fired it a couple of months ago just to see if it still worked and it does.

I will take all three of these to the range and see how they shoot. I fully expect even the worst of them to shoot well for me.

As a side note, I always store my firearms with the firing pin dropped on an empty chamber. I don't want the springs to be under any more stress than necessary during storage. It seems to have worked since all my rifles still work as they should with their original springs regardless of their age.
    With most 22lr rifles, you don't want to drop the firing pin on an empty chamber so I pull the trigger with the bolt handle up and then ease the handle down. Works like a charm with every bolt rifle I own including center fire.
    I have so much to learn,I never knew these model exist, i'm a late guns collector.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

I finally got these three old rifles to the range. Indoor range, rested on bags, open iron sights(no peep), 25 yards.
    In every case, the Norma match ammo gave the best groups. CCI standard velocity was equal or nearly so.
    With two of the rifles,(510 and 511), none of the other ammunition really came close.
    With the 512, all the groups were pretty good. Even the bulk ammunition shot well.
    In every case except the 512, the groups were high. in some cases, nearly 2 inches high in some cases even with the ramp removed and the rear sight sitting on the barrel.
    The slower velocity rounds came closer to being inside the aiming dot. With the 512, the groups were centered or just at the top of the aiming dot.
    I was using a bottom of the dot hold as nearly as I could tell. My eyes are not what they were years ago when I last shot open sights.
    Still, I am happy with the best groups I shot.
    The 510(single shot) had the best trigger.
    The 511(box magazine) had the worst trigger.( I need to do a super cleaning job on that one).
    The 512(tube magazine) had a good trigger. Not the lightest but very crisp and clean.
    Here are the best groups from each rifle. All groups are 5 shots.
    The first target is from the 510, the second from the 511, and the third from the 512.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized28000003.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	258717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized28000002.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	258718Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized28000001.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	258719

Small game better put helmets on! Good shooting you did there.

I found 1/2 of a flat coke in the shop so tossed it into the wet grass and it landed 15 or so feet away with the cap facing me. I thought the 510 with one cb long would suffice and it did. And the bullet stayed in the bottle. These old guns are so cool.

It's always good to see these old rifles doing their thing. They were built right to start with and just keep on going.
    Even my ugly ones shoot well.
    I just wish my eyes were better.

Back in the sixties, shorts were cheaper to buy than long rifle ammo. I used short hollow points almost exclusively to squirrel hunt with.
    With the longer barrels on these rifles, shorts were very quiet and you could take several squirrels from a single tree without disturbing the others much.
    My best was taking five squirrels from the same hickory tree in about 20 minutes. I would shoot them as they left the tree. 5 was the limit then as it is now. I think there were at least 8 squirrels in that tree when I stated and none left the tree alive before I got my 5th one.
    The sound of the bullet impacting the squirrel was louder than the shot.
    Last edited by tazman; 03-17-2020 at 09:13 PM.

Boolit Master
    Nice rifles Taz but you need 513T and a 521T and i am sure there are others.

I ran into a rifle listed as a 513T at a gun shop near here. Big price and a refinished stock. No peep sight. In fact it looked just like a 510.
    Turned out it was a 510 that someone thought they could pawn off as a target rifle.

I would need to see one up close and personal before I could make a decision to buy a 513T.

My brother drug a 513T with all the fixings and a 6x Fekker scope around the woods for a squirrel gun. The trick to that is not shooting the squirrel. The trick is to shoot enough squirrel to replenish the calories you burn dragging that thing around. They are tack drivers. Always wanted a 513 sporter, never had chance to buy one. The 521T is much better rifle to tote in woods. It was suppose to be a junior grade target rifle. I had a buddy who retired from IH and he had a 510 that his brother gave him years ago. He never hunted only plinked with 22. He decided he wanted one of every 22 Remington had made. I never got them all but put a big dent in them for 12yrs of buying for him. No m37 in bolt guns. That’s another one I’ve never owned. Have seen very few for sale. I’ve owned several 52 Wins, including the remake Sporter. I never owned original 52 sporter either. I miss all those old bolt 22s. They are custom quality compared to today’s junk. I remember a Win 68 was $19.99 and Rem 510 was $16.99 and Springfield 15 was $12.99 at Western Auto.

Boolit Master

I have a 510 action I would like to re-barrel.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Banned
    People often underestimate the quality of the 500 series Remington rifles. They were low cost but not cheap. Remington cut a few corners where they could and put the savings in the barrel. They used good steel in the barrels, they were well made and higher quality than the rifle's "economy" status suggests.

Most of the 500 series .22 cal Remington rifles were working man rimfire rifles but they are capable of excellent accuracy.

The 541 was the high end model and used a multi-lug, rear locking bolt (like a mini 788) and an excellent trigger group.

I've seen old, tried looking 510 & 511 models that shot surprisingly well !
    Unfortunately two factors seem to be coming together:
    1. I think more people are starting to realize that these fine old guns are good values and buying them up when they appear on the market. Older buyers (possibly with a bit more cash in their pocket) are snatching them up when they appear for sale.
    2. People that have old examples are reluctant to sell them for several reasons, so fewer examples are seen for sale.

30 years ago you could find decent examples at gun shows, gun shops and auctions for very reasonable prices. The last one I saw at a pawn shop looked like it had spent its life riding behind the seat of a pickup truck and they were asking over $350 for it. I think it was a 511.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I ran into a rifle listed as a 513T at a gun shop near here. Big price and a refinished stock. No peep sight. In fact it looked just like a 510.
    Turned out it was a 510 that someone thought they could pawn off as a target rifle.

I would need to see one up close and personal before I could make a decision to buy a 513T.
    But it says Targetmaster right there on the barrel of that 510

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    But it says Targetmaster right there on the barrel of that 510
    Yes, it surely did. I think that was why the gun shop kept it listed as a 513T for over teo weeks until someone pointed out the difference to them.
    I am pretty sure the rifle was there on consignment, so I can't blame the shop.
    They never did lower the price though.

Tazman- since you have all three- does the 511 say "Scoremaster" and the 512 "Fieldmaster"on the barrel? As a youth I knew all that but now I'm not sure. Remington had some neat names on guns( Wingmaster, Woodsmaster, Brushmaster etc.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast