MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Completed my collection as far as I am going to today.

Completed my collection as far as I am going to today.

Remington 510, 511, and 512 bolt rifles. I finally got all three.
    My father had a 511 in rather poor condition that I inherited. I picked up a 512 a couple of months ago. I used to have a 510 back when I was a teenager but let it get away. I picked up another 510 today.
    I know there are 513t rifles out there but they are beyond my means since I won't just collect them. I get them to shoot. Around here, a 513t goes for nearly $450 and up. Too much for my blood.
    Sometime soon I am going to take them all to the range and see what they can do and what I can do with them.

The one I got from my father wasn't in anything like good shape. He had drilled large holes(1/4 inch or so) in the receiver in order to mount a scope but all the mounting hardware was gone. It had been left standing in a corner for a long time and was half rusted up. The bore was ok and cleaned up nicely. The rest has some serious "character".
    I had to get a new catch to hold the magazines in as the original had broken off at some point. Dad had been using duct tape to hold the mag in place. It worked after a fashion. I found the new catch on Fleabay.

Of the three, the 512 is in the best condition and even it has some scratches in the stock. I may see if I can clean them up some but since I got them for a reasonable price, I am not too worried about it. I will keep them clean and functional.
    I have always wanted to get all three of these and now I have.

If you guy want, I can post pictures later. We'll see how much interest there is.

Boolit Master

Those old 500 series Remington's were about as good as it got in their day. My Dad had one and the guys in the neighborhood use to bring him pennies to shoot a hole thru--offhand. I am not sure just what model it was, but the best I remember it had a curved magazine and what I thought of at the time as a "beehive" rear bolt knob. He sold that little rifle and bought a semi-automatic that did not shoot as well. I wish I had one of those pennies today but he never kept any of them for himself, just gave them to neighbors. I miss him. Show us pictures of your rifles. james

The rifle you describe was the 511.

Boolit Master

Sounds about right and thanks Taz. I have several .22lr's but I may just have to try and find a really good example just for nostalgia. james

Boolit Master

Don't forget the 514; journeyman's plain Jane but just as accurate.

Boolit Master
    I have a few of the 500s, 510 Target Master, 521-T, 541-THB and several 552s.. All are fun but the 510 with just the factory iron sights is my favorite for shooting pop cans.

It is odd, isn't it, how the .22 rifles of our youth are kind of underappreciated by the shooting fraternity. Most of us learned on one, and shot much more game with a .22 rifle than we ever did shoot larger game with a higher powered center fire rifle. Seems like when we get older we begin to reflect on how useful they were (and still are) and become interested in them again. I didn't have to collect my original, a Stevens 15-A, because I've still got it! And, six or seven more various .22s acquired along the way.

Banned
    Thanks Taz, now I want one.

USMC 77, USRA 79

i would love to see a pic of it... i love rifles of Character...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    I live in a rural area with a few acres of open space. I can shoot sub sonic .22 LR out of the old Target Master into a bullet trap at 50 yards all day long and never disturb a sole. Can't shoot much of anything else other than an air rifle but it is a lot of fun.

I do still have my first .22 too. I bought an Anschutz 1416 when I was in 8th grade. Mowed a lot of grass to get it.

I still have the first 22lr I ever purchased. I bought it from my brother for $20 when I was 10 years old(1962). Winchester model 72A. It still wears a 1 inch weaver scope I put on it 45 years ago. I have not needed to adjust the scope in all that time.
    The Remington 510 I mentioned was my second gun. I got it about 4 years later. For some idiotic reason, I thought I had enough 22 rifles at some point and let the 510 get away from me.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I saw a very nice 510 at a shop on the west side of the state last year and it took all I had to walk away from it . As nice as it was I won't drill it just to help these old eyes , I do have an accurate scoped rifle already . So here's hoping the next generation appreciates it .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

I've "needed" a 510 for some time.

Your description of the one that you got from your father reminds me of my 511. I bought it from a pawn shop in Atlanta in the mid '70s for $32.00. The prior owner had attempted (or maybe succeeded) in mounting a scope by drilling on the left side of the stock. It's no beauty, but shoots so well I wouldn't dare change it. My youngest son says it's the only gun that I own that he's like to own someday: and he will.

Enjoy that 510!

Moderator Emeritus
    I have two 513t’s I bought from the CMP a while back. Great rifle!

Here are a couple of pictures. First is the set.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized27700001.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	256099

From top to bottom model 510, model 511, model 512

This picture is of the receiver of the 511 that my father configured for a scope mount of some kind.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized27700002.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	256100
    If you blow the image up a bit you can see the rather poor condition of the blueing and pits from the rust. Nonetheless, I can't part with it because it was my father's rifle.
    It still shoots fine as of it's last trip to the range which was years ago. I fired it a couple of months ago just to see if it still worked and it does.

I will take all three of these to the range and see how they shoot. I fully expect even the worst of them to shoot well for me.

As a side note, I always store my firearms with the firing pin dropped on an empty chamber. I don't want the springs to be under any more stress than necessary during storage. It seems to have worked since all my rifles still work as they should with their original springs regardless of their age.
    With most 22lr rifles, you don't want to drop the firing pin on an empty chamber so I pull the trigger with the bolt handle up and then ease the handle down. Works like a charm with every bolt rifle I own including center fire.
    Last edited by tazman; 02-04-2020 at 10:34 PM.

Keep an eye out the sporter version of the 513t It's marked 513s

[IMG][/IMG]

They made 13,xxx of them

I had no idea that one existed. Thanks for posting the picture.

Thanks for posting this. Dad had the 511, my uncle had the 512. Wonderful rifles. I rescued and restored a 510 last year that I hope to teach my grandson to shoot with( he’s almost 2) someday. My nephew has Dads old 511 and it is still a tack driver. I liked the fact that you can load the clip from the top with the action open. Tazman, I un-cock all my bolt rifles like you do- Dad taught me that even though he was never a “gun guy”. His collection consisted of the 511, a model 235 Stevens hammer SxS 12 gauge, and a 94 Winchester- which I have. My brothers and I learned to shoot with the 511; 30-30 ammo was too expensive to “waste” and the old “ two row” Stevens was brutal. Thanks for kicking up memories!

Boolit Master

I need to look at mine when home , I have the 511 I believe bought some years ago from a older gentleman who was moving south it has drilled holes through stock as it looks like it was used as a set gun on his fathers farm , I also have a tubular feed remington that the linkage feed would not function so 20 years ago I took it to a local gunsmith who said it was not fixable and converted it to a single shot , also have the 513t have not shot it in years , same with a savage anschutz mark10 ah memories .

Boolit Master
    Had a CMP 513T that was accurate as all get out, but let it get away from me. Picked up another civilian model that Bubba had been at that needed a little love. This one had been D&T'd for Weaver bases and the barrel shortened. Reshaped the stock to remove the beavertail forend and thinned it a bit, cut the butt stock to get the odd angle off, added a 1/2" rubber butt pad to get it to correct length and installed QD swivels. Shortened and re-crowned the barrel at 22" and a good going over with Brownells T4 gave the metal a finish that would pass for hot blue. Topped with a BSA 3-9X40 rimfire scope it shoot ragged hole at 25 yards and, when I still hunted, put a lot of squirrels in the pot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast