RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone like the Wildey in .45 Win Mag.?

Boolit Master

Does anyone like the Wildey in .45 Win Mag.?

How do people feel about the Wildey gas-operated pistol (with an 8" barrel) in .45 Winchester Magnum? (You realize, of course, that it is the only commercially loaded cartridge that the Wildey fires).

I have thought that this great rimless "Magnum" was never used to it's full potential. With the longer barrel, a "full-house" load can be used anywhere the .44 Magnum can be applied. No danger of either "rim lock" or lack of power. A good 230-grain JHP can be driven to sufficient velocities (1400+ fps) will make the larger deer and smaller bear (Black) to drop in their tracks. The Wildey pistol is currently in production, and are hand built for each individual order.

Any thoughts? Comments?

Scott

I thought they stopped production because their barrel maker died, I believe.

Boolit Master
    I checked the site today; still in operation.

Scott

Boolit Grand Master
    Friend of mine bought one nigh on to 20 years ago. IIRC, he paid 2 grand for it. It was neither accurate nor reliable. It never fired 2 consecutive mags without malfunction, and was not as accurate as my Redhawk. He sold a very nice Grizzly LAR 45 Magnum to fund the purchase. I'd have kept the LAR, but he was always looking for that Magic gun that would make him into Deadeye Dan.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

My buddy had the .475 version. Shot very nice, adjustable gas operated for different loads and boolit wrights. I shot a few with it but I thought it was a little awkward handling. Very accurate and not bad recoil.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rexherring View Post
    My buddy had the .475 version. Shot very nice, adjustable gas operated for different loads and boolit wrights. I shot a few with it but I thought it was a little awkward handling. Very accurate and not bad recoil.
    How long was the barrel on that particular .475?

Scott

Boolit Master
    The .475 Wildey Magnum Cartridge

The Wildey pistol was introduced chambered in .45 Winchester Magnum. This powerful 45 is basically a .45 ACP lengthened .300". Both cases are the same .476" diameter. To build an autoloading pistol that would fire bigger bullets a new case was needed. The 30-06 case was no help. True the .44 Auto Mag pistol was based on this case but case diameter is .470". The .284 Winchester case caught Wil Moore's eye. The .284 is a rebated rimless case. The rim diameter is the same as the 30-06, .473" but the body of the case is wider with a max diameter of .500". Perfect! Wil cut down the .284 case to the maximum length of the .45 Winchester. After inside neck sizing the case took a .475 diameter bullet.
    Ballistic testing would prove Wildey J. Moore had developed the most powerful pistol cartridge. Best of all his Wildey Pistol design was rugged enough to shoot this cartridge and the patented gas system would help the average shooter deal with recoil.
    Today if you really cared to, you could convert .284 brass to .475 Wildey Magnum but the availability of commercial brass allows you to spend time on more enjoyable things like shooting this powerful cartridge, the .475 Wildey Magnum.

The WILDEY is made for handloaders!

With a three lug rotary bolt the Wildey easily handles high pressure loads and is capable of shooting a wide variety of bullet weights. A handloader will enjoy this flexibility particularly if they currently load for a handgun with limited potential diversity. The Wildey can be loaded down for an afternoon at the range shooting light, lower cost full metal jacket bullets. And the Wildey can have a hunting load custom tailored for your hunting scenario. Hawk Inc manufactures premium hunting bullets in .475 caliber for the Wildey pistol. Their selection now boasts eight different bullets in flat point, hollow point, and weights of 230, 265, 300, and 350 grains. Bullets are available directly from Hawk Inc and they will also make custom weights on request.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gunfan View Post
    How long was the barrel on that particular .475?

Scott
    His was either the 6 or 7 inch barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    i have a wildey with 2 barrels, a 45 win mag and a 475 wildey mag, both 10" barrels. as for reliability, it is there if you set the gas port correctly. i did a lot of testing before i took mine to alaska with me for a back up gun. i could run several mags with no failures once i got the gas port set. from my experience, it is capable of very good accuracy as well. most times at a public range i will close off the gas so it does not eject my expensive brass for nimrods at the range to step on or walk off with.
    mine is an early 4 digit gun. under recoil from heavy loads the magazine would sometimes drop out, so i shimmed the spring to put more tension on the mag catch. with my hottest loads, the recoil will sometimes engage the safety, probably more like my hand doing it, but it does happen. i like the gun, but its applications are limited. it is BIG, but not as bad as a desert eagle. for hunting, it has promise. the 45 win mag can be about 30% more than a 44 mag, and there are plenty of 45 caliber bullets in various weights and construction. in .475, there are a couple of weights available from speer. the 400's use up too much case capacity, but the 325's are a good choice.
    i killed an elk with my .475 many years ago, with a 400 grain bullet. it was only going about 1100 fps, but that big flat point and that much mass gets the job done.
    in 45 win mag, i have some 185gr semi-wadcutter jacketed bullets loaded moderately. still a powerful load, but no where near maximum. it shoots those pretty well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by winchester85 View Post
    In 45 win mag, i have some 185gr semi-wadcutter jacketed bullets loaded moderately. still a powerful load, but no where near maximum. it shoots those pretty well.
    That sounds as if it would be a great defense load in a shorter-barreled specimen. (6-8" barrel). Low recoil, quick recovery, plenty of power.

Why not?

Scott

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gunfan View Post
    That sounds as if it would be a great defense load in a shorter-barreled specimen. (6-8" barrel). Low recoil, quick recovery, plenty of power.

Why not?

Scott
    Physically big gun. Concealed? Do you wear a duster?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    A vertical shoulder holster Galco's Explorer or the Original Dirty Harry Rig hides well beneath a nice sport coat. All that needs to happen is to have it cut large enough to conceal the gun. (It has been done before, you know).

Scott

Boolit Master
    I have 2 Wildeys. One 45 Winnie converted to Single Action and one .475 stock double action.

Nothing to add what Winchester85 has said.

I would like to stress to an earlier post, if it is having feeding/relialbility issues, high probability it is the operator and/or the gas system needs tweaking.

Fun guns.

Boolit Master
    I checked the site today; still in operation.
    However, the phone has been disconnected and the e-mail link is now blank.

I think they are out of business.

Boolit Master
    I have a Wildey with two barrels . 475 Wildey and 44 AMP . Shoots well , properly adjusted functions well . Feels like a 2X4 in my hand . The Lar grizzly MK I in 45 Winmag is a better gun . The Desert Eagle in 50 AE is good but heavy/clumzy I prefer the LAR Grizzly MK V . The 44 AMP is like an expensive sports car , temper mental some times , but always expensive . loads of fun .

Groo here
    I have a 475 W with a 12 inch barrel ..
    It is verry blocky and if not so expensive I wouls take a buffing wheel to it...
    I also have an LAR Grizzly,, much easier to handle..
    Ps I can convert the LAR to 357mag--- Now saving for a Coonan..

Boolit Buddy
    I had a Wildley and it was fun to shoot. I did not like the dis-assembly , never did get it apart.

Boolit Mold
    I have a Wildey in 45 win mag. Excellent for hunting. 50 yards no problem.
    Recoil is manageable . Brass is getting hard to find.
    Ultrasonic cleaner has eliminated the need to take apart and then retune.
    Has anyone else had firing issues mine went full auto early on.

Boolit Bub
    I have one in 45 with a 7 inch tube. Its a helluva lotta fun to shoot and a good conversation starter. Good power, sedate recoil, and minute of deer/bear/hog/pop can. A little finiky til the gas is set, but that little knob sure is nice when you don't have to chase brass all over. I personally think its a nifty firearm overall and wouldnt trade mine for leass than a million bucks.
    In need of top notch gunleather? Visit my page at http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/A-T...05958232763057 and have a look. 10% off for Cast Boolit members.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brassrat View Post
    I thought they stopped production because their barrel maker died, I believe.
    Your comment jogged my memory to this I noticed a few months ago:

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/search?searchvalue=wildey

Were they contracted to produce barrels for this reason?
    Why are they now being liquidated?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast