Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trimming automatic pistol brass.

I have never had a roll crimp issue with any revolver due to variation in case length
    Well...I have...and it was Starline .32 H&R brass...and Starline is usually the standard by which I judge all other reloading brass. This particular brass varied considerably in length...and subsequent groups, after trimming to a uniform length (in effect uniforming the amount of crimp) showed marked improvement...YMMv, Rod

Boolit Master
    I did one large batch of 45 acp when I started in bullseye matches. About 1/2 were cleaned up by the cutter, the others just touched by it.

Since then I separate batches by headstamp and measure them with calipers. They are set aside in groups according to length, .003 is the number i used for this purpose.

Boolit Master

I've never done any trimming to auto brass, but I do trim revolver brass.

Boolit Master
    I have trimmed revolver and auto brass way back in my past , I trim handgun brass no more.
    It gives me an anxiety attack just thinking about with the amount of brass I have now.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I have trimmed revolver and auto brass way back in my past , I trim handgun brass no more.
    It gives me an anxiety attack just thinking about with the amount of brass I have now.
    Same boat here. I trimmed some auto brass year back, but I stopped shortly there-after. I taper crimp my auto ammo so variations in length aren't super critical. I trim all revolver brass however.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    My full power magnum revolver loads are all loaded in new or once fired brass both jacketed and cast bullets they then go into my medium to light load stash and last for many loadings with cast boolits with an occasional annealing .

Banned

for the .38spl revolvers, they only get fed starline brass hand loads that i've never seen a need for case trimming after at least dozens of firings.

for the 9mm semi-autos, they only get fed a huge assortment of once-fired cleaned range brass hand loads that are typically one bang! and gone.

oh, when i was into 1911's the .45 brass was starline, all hand loads, and fire brass horded, but never had a need for case trimming.

Boolit Master

Never trim pistol brass. Use an X die for rifle, keeps it to a minimum (1 time)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12