Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faster Twist .22 lr rifles?

Boolit Master

Faster Twist .22 lr rifles?

I have recently come into possession of a large quantity of Aguila .22 long rifle ammunition with 60 grain bullets. Does anybody know of a production rifle or handgun chambered in .22 long rifle with a faster twist than 1:16? I do know I can buy aftermarket barrels for a Ruger 10/22 rifle.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The European Biathalon rifles designed for below freezing temps have a faster twist of rifling.

Otherwise you are looking at something custom.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

That Aquila 22LR does fine in my 12" twist AR with a M261 device.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I have not had good results firing that 60 grain ammo beyond 50 feet or so from any of my .22 single shots, even those which I have rebarrelled with match chambers. I keep threatening to cut down and rechamber a takeoff from some centerfire rifle with a faster twist, (I've got half a dozen at least), but in 10+ years I've never gotten the necessary round tuit.

I will say that the one time I did hit a moving woodchuck with that bullet, the critter sure did expire quickly. Bullet was fired from an Iver Johnson revolver at about 30 feet range.
    Last edited by uscra112; 02-05-2020 at 06:30 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Dry tropics of Australia. Where crocs and Barra rule!
    Lithgows are a 1:9.
    Dunno if you can get em in US of A

Not being a 10/22 fan, I wasn't aware that you can get fast twist barrels for the 10/22. That sure looks like his solution.
    Cognitive Dissident

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Shillen makes .2225 10 twist for the 60 grain 22lr ammo.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, Preacher Jim! I will go check out their website.

Boolit Master
    Green Mountain as well, used to have 1:9 I believe it was. Designed for those rounds.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I have a Toz 17 with a 14 twist. I've thought about trying the Aguila 60 gr rounds in it. I should get some so I have them to test in it when I do finally a chance to test the gun.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 02-26-2020 at 12:40 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    After a little searching, I found out that the Ruger Single-Six revolver has a 1:14 twist. The Ruger Wrangler and the Ruger semi-autos are all 1:16 twist, as are all of their rifles. My guess is that the Single-Sixes have a faster twist for .22 Magnum ammunition in the convertibles.

I have no idea if a 1:14 twist will do better than 1:16 twist, or if some 1:16 twist barrels might do okay due to types and numbers of lands and grooves.

I guess there is one way to find out!

Boolit Buddy
    The 60 gr. Aguila .22 long rifle round is designed for barrels with a 1-9" twist rate and over 20" in length. Barrels from 23-25 inches long seem to offer best accuracy potential of this round. My 10/22 has a 26" barrel on it, and it will shoot under an inch at 50 yards, even on a bad day!

Boolit Master
    Is your 26 inch a 1:9 or std twist? I have a Green Mountain 28 inch Sporter on one but it is std twist. Might get a box to try, depending.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    My 26" barrel has a 1-9" twist.

Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceA View Post
    Lithgows are a 1:9.
    Dunno if you can get em in US of A
    Not in 22LR..... 1-16 twist.....

Quote Originally Posted by bowfin View Post
    After a little searching, I found out that the Ruger Single-Six revolver has a 1:14 twist. The Ruger Wrangler and the Ruger semi-autos are all 1:16 twist, as are all of their rifles. My guess is that the Single-Sixes have a faster twist for .22 Magnum ammunition in the convertibles.

I have no idea if a 1:14 twist will do better than 1:16 twist, or if some 1:16 twist barrels might do okay due to types and numbers of lands and grooves.

I guess there is one way to find out!
    1-14 twist will work great .... I know you yanks can get Green Mountain Blanks in 1-14..... for not much money...

Boolit Bub
    I've done a little experimenting with this round, mostly in single shots. In my experience, the Aguila 60 grain shot marginally out to 50 yards in several of my rifles, most were 1:16 twist, a couple were 1:14 and one was a gain twist at 1:15 - this one shot better than most but it shoots most quite well... We did try shooting these from our AR's using a CNMG adapter, our sample firearms shot these worse than the single shot's did...
    I went another route and found a barrel that was a 1:9 twist it slugged at .2229" and fitted it to a #3 Ballard (I did a post here on this a while ago) - this combination does shoot quite well - to 200 yards - so far...
    Greg

Boolit Master
    I borrowed my brother's Single-Six with a 6 1/2" barrel. They Aguila 60 gr. SSS rounds chronographed at 883 fps. with a standard deviation of 28 fps. The groups were excellent, pictures to follow. No keyholing whatsoever. I had bought 3,750 rounds at $1.50 a box, so as soon as I can talk my brother out of the Single-Six...

Interesting. Good groups at what range, though? Does the Single-Six have the usual 16" twist?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Interesting. Good groups at what range, though? Does the Single-Six have the usual 16" twist?
    Ruger Single-Sixes have a 14" twist, which is why I tried that particular firearm first. I shot it at 50 feet. Anything past 50 yards and the 5mm comes out of its case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast