Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10/22 trigger- DIY route experiences

Boolit Buddy

10/22 trigger- DIY route experiences

So the thread on aftermarket triggers was interesting. It introduced me to brimstone gunsmithing and basically sold me one having them upgrade my trigger instead of buying a bx 25 drop in new trigger. But I was looking at some of their videos and they include this
    https://youtu.be/OPJVUefaSmY

Which is a really nice walk through of what can go wrong and what a basic "moving from terrible to decent" trigger would look like. It actually got me thinking about trying to polish up the working parts myself. And if that fails getting the bx-25 replacement. I try hard not to be a trigger snob and work on upgrading myself rather than the rifle but it's a heavy trigger for such a light gun. Really is.

I was interested in hearing from more experienced guys. In the video he used fine grit sandpaper to do his polishing. Other videos I've seen using stones or file sets. Bar none this is the best video on the process I've seen. If you guys have a better resource showing the process I'd love to see it. Any and all experience would be welcome. This is a bit down the pipeline of my "to do" list but I thought it might be a comparatively low risk way to gain some skill.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by PerpetualStudent View Post
    So the thread on aftermarket triggers was interesting. It introduced me to brimstone gunsmithing and basically sold me one having them upgrade my trigger instead of buying a bx 25 drop in new trigger. But I was looking at some of their videos and they include this
    https://youtu.be/OPJVUefaSmY

Which is a really nice walk through of what can go wrong and what a basic "moving from terrible to decent" trigger would look like. It actually got me thinking about trying to polish up the working parts myself. And if that fails getting the bx-25 replacement. I try hard not to be a trigger snob and work on upgrading myself rather than the rifle but it's a heavy trigger for such a light gun. Really is.

I was interested in hearing from more experienced guys. In the video he used fine grit sandpaper to do his polishing. Other videos I've seen using stones or file sets. Bar none this is the best video on the process I've seen. If you guys have a better resource showing the process I'd love to see it. Any and all experience would be welcome. This is a bit down the pipeline of my "to do" list but I thought it might be a comparatively low risk way to gain some skill.
    I 'stoned' my 10/22 triggers ages ago. I used sharpening stones that I use for knives and I only used my finest stones. The lowest I used was a diamond 1200grit. Personally I would not use sandpaper, I'd be uncomfortable doing it that way. I liked using the stones because they are flat. (I use the stones that do not have to be re-flattened).

If you want more information on your trigger job, head over to rimfire central. They have a whole sub forum on the 10/22 and tons of info on trigger jobs. Mine came out really nice. I'm glad I did not use anything more rough than 1200. My trigger came out around 2.5 to 3.5 lbs. Which is as light as I wanted it. I could have gone more, but I was only looking for this weight range.

I went with my own trigger job because back, 5-7 years ago there was a gunsmith who was selling OEM trigger groups that he setup for something like $65 bucks or you could send him your trigger and he would do it for $45. So I took the $20 gamble and it turned out very nice. (i might be off on prices)

Boolit Grand Master
    I did one over a decade ago. Not bad but not great. Used stones.

I had the same approach. If I buggered it up, I would buy an new trigger. BTW, not everyone raves about the BX. Not every cheap modification should expected to work perfectly as there are manufacturing tolerances, plus some people expect a target trigger for $50. There is a reason some trigger groups are $200.

Go for it!! You will make it better if you take your time. The risk is low and the improvement noticeable.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    im lazy used a power custom hammer in mine used the std springs now have a 2.5 lb trigger.much better than the original 7plus lbs.hornaday dry lube keeps it running well without gumming up so quickly with normal lube.

Boolit Master
    Absolutely go for it! You will learn a lot in the process and that is a big reason most of us are on this forum. Use a flat stone or glue the 800 or finer paper to something flat to start. You still want to finish with a very fine and flat stone. You will change the sear angle slightly, they “hook” that’s why they are so heavy. Do not remove all the hook at first, reduce it and then shoot it a while, may be good enough. I have done all mine, think there are 5 only them around here. Not an aftermarket part in any of my triggers and they are safe with weights between 2.25 and 3.5 on my charger. That’s as light as I want, they are smooth, what’s important to me. I do not put in it stops, never liked them on target rifles either. If you screw it up, fav trigger parts are in most people’s junk drawers, and are dirt cheap. Get another and learn some more. When you have had all the fun you want but not the trigger you want, there are drop in sear/trigger sets for sale lots less than a bx. Have fun with them, they can be made to shoot very well using the stickies from RFC using stock parts. -.092 off the breech and shoulder gets you a chamber that functions as well as a bentz and the Ruger barrels are quality, except the huge chambers. After the trigger check the headspace and adjust accordingly, it reduced fliers from decent milk carton federals. The Walnut Sporter stock makes up into a nice squirrel rifle with a pillar bedded setup and trigger work. Strip off the finish and truoil to a nice subdued finish.... like I said they’re fun to piddle with
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I use to work on S&W revolvers with good luck but I got lazy on my 10/22 an order a KIDD assembly . I would give it a try if I were you, ruin it so what they make new ones. GOOD LUCK

Boolit Master

I bought a 10-22 for a loaner rifle, took it out to the range one nice afternoon to sight it in. The trigger sucked. Gritty, like dragging the trigger over three bumps to fire.

Was shooting prone, and had a nice comfy matt on top a piece of plush carpet laying on the ground, nice shade.

Pulled out the tool box and took it apart. After getting the trigger group apart, the sear was rough, wasn't going to use a file and had no stone.

Well heck, the ground was covered with crushed gravel. So a little time spent selecting, I chose one, shaped nicely for the job, and started rubbing.

Put the rifle back together, the trigger was much better. Got her sighted in. Took about an hour from first shots to shooting again.

Wasn't the first time I had a 10-22 trigger group apart.

That's not the best trigger job ever, but a great improvement over what it was.

Truth be told, I much prefer the Kidd trigger on another 10-22 lurking round here.
    Last edited by clodhopper; 02-04-2020 at 01:16 AM.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Grand Master
    For the cost, the Kidd trigger should be a bit better than rubbing on the stock components with a piece of gravel. I cannot bring myself to spend that kind of money on a .22 plinker.

To the OP, if you do not have stones, the suggestion above to use fine grit paper on a flat surface will work and at a minimal cost. I added a trigger stop to mine for next to nothing as I had a tap and set screws in my stuff and I prefer the feel but it is personal preference.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    For sharpening knives and tools I have some stones. The finest is a 1000 grit arkansas stone. I'm thinking I might pick up a little finer grit sandpaper and use that on the stone instead. Although I'm sure the arkansas stone is nicer than a piece of gravel.

I appreciate the encouragement and advice. I can't imagine putting a trigger that's worth more than a gun so no kidd trigger for me. I'll officially add it to my to do list, and (eventually) let you guys know how it goes. Just need to get some punches and very fine grit sandpaper.

Boolit Buddy
    I've owned about every trigger and kit made for the 10-22. It all depends on what you want. If this gun is a tin can shooter, do it yourself and you will be happy. If it is a short range squirrel gun, the BX 25 will work great. But if you are building a tack driver to shoot aspirins at 100 yards, the Kidd trigger is the only way to go.

Boolit Master
    perpetualstudent, get you a slave pin as well, will reduce the cussin! I use a correct size dowel pin, but I have a very large parts bin to look thru.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    gunsmither safety tool makes dismantling and assembly much easier .

Boolit Buddy

Talking

5 months from idea to follow through. Sad to say that's pretty fast for one of my projects

Just went through, cut a little off the trigger return spring and polished the moving surfaces to a mirror finish. Man that difference is night and day. I don't hate the trigger anymore. I don't start the squeeze and ask myself "did I forget to put the safety off?"

All the dry seems good. Now just to test it with ammo. What I've read says test it with mags with just one or two rounds at first. To make sure you didn't mess something up. I appreciate the advice. It feels good to do something I wasn't sure I could do.

I have put in dozens of Kits in 10/22s. The hammer kit with shims will give an excellent trigger pull for hunting & plinking. So for $25 it’s well worth it. Unless you are building a target 10/22 that’s all you need. I have had a couple guys complain that triggers are to light. On older model 10/22 with cast trigger housing, pulls can go under 3lb with kit. Newer models with plastic housing can go under 4lb with kit. I did my own triggers on 10/22 and 77/22 years ago. I hunt with them and am satisfied with 3.5lb triggers. Both guns were bought new when they came on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimner View Post
    I 'stoned' my 10/22 triggers ages ago. I used sharpening stones that I use for knives and I only used my finest stones.

I also did the issue 10/22 trigger, but that was over 40 years ago, well before Ruger started to make the parts using the MIM process - which doesn't respond very well to stoning/smoothing/lightening.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    When did Ruger go to MIM on those parts?? Ruger has always been a big user of investment cast, times change. Must be fairly recent, my Charger trigger parts responded just like my older 1022s, it is my newest by a wide margin. Charger is a 2008, older than I thought! Where’d the time go.....

A new 10/22 Magnum I bought shortly after that model was introduced had MIM trigger parts (it wouldn't respond like my 1970's 10/22's trigger)

Ruger & many other firearm manufacturers have been using MIM parts for a very long time - in fact, Ruger is one of the major MIM suppliers for other firearms companies, just like they've been supplying investment cast parts to the market.

Remington started making MIM parts in about 1980, Kimber has them, and Ruger (I suspect) uses them here & there.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Interesting, thanks. I knew Ruger had a substantial investment cast business, guess it makes sense they would add in MIM. I have some guns with MIM parts, really no complaints. Nothing wrong with the process when used in a logical application, I don’t care for the appearance on the outside of S&W revolvers, like the M69, but fully functional.
    I have a lifetime supply of older 10-22s so won’t be an issue to me, but good info for folks considering doing a trigger job on a new one!

Ruger makes a hammer that will improve your trigger, I happened on one at a show. installed it and I am very pleased. As I recall the hammer was a dark color where as the original was bright silver.

Boolit Master

I like the trigger on my 10/22. I picked up a bx 25 mag for it today. 30.00 OTD. From my LGS. He also has lots of ammo on hand. So no shortage in his shop. If i like it i'll grab another. I also have the tri mag coupler too. I like it for walkthroughs. And bench rest shooting.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast