Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Reduced recoil 20 gauge

Reduced recoil 20 gauge

So I am loading 13 grains 700X and 7/8 oz shot in a AA Hull for about 1150 FPS and it’s my cowboy action load. This is the standard target load for 20 gauge. A husband/wife cowboy team also shoots 20 gauge and was throwing away those nice AA hulls. I said they are welcome to come over and load those hulls and save at least 50% over the 8 or 9 dollars they are paying for ea. box. Then I noticed they are shooting 980 FPS low recoil 20 gauge. She shot my ammo and noticed the increased noise and recoil. Does anyone have data with 700x to simulate that velocity in a AA Hull? I quick look in my manuals didn’t show anything that low of velocity. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to load the Featherlite loads in 12 ga for CAS using Hodgdon data. I think if you send an email request to Hodgdon they can supply data for your needs. Not sure if 700x will be listed but you can ask. Reducing to 3/4 oz will help with recoil.

Good luck
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

Clay busters has load data for 20 gauge 3/4 oz. load on there web site for their wads but they do not list 700X.
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"

Thanks guys, I don’t believe I want to go much further than changing a powder bushing in my press to help them out.

Boolit Master
    Change the shot bar to a 3/4 and keep your powder and bushing the same. You will need to feed it a bean to get the grump usable then see if that is light enough for her. If so, buy a bag of 3/4 oz clay busters and you are set. We shot a good bit of 3/4 in 20 gage and even more in 12 gage, breaks targets just fine! Even fine on 16 yard trap but I would go up to 1 oz in 12 when shooting for money. Great practice loads and I would think plenty for cas targets, but ZERO personal experience with cas.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Change the shot bar to a 3/4 and keep your powder and bushing the same. You will need to feed it a bean to get the grump usable then see if that is light enough for her. If so, buy a bag of 3/4 oz clay busters and you are set. We shot a good bit of 3/4 in 20 gage and even more in 12 gage, breaks targets just fine! Even fine on 16 yard trap but I would go up to 1 oz in 12 when shooting for money. Great practice loads and I would think plenty for cas targets, but ZERO personal experience with cas.
    Hmmm, you have a good point. It’s a mec, so I would need a new charge bar.

Boolit Grand Master

Do you have a chronograph? It is safe to reduce to the levels you want. If I were you, I would pick a powder bushing that drops between 10 and 11 grains, and see how fast it went.

Boolit Master
    You could make good use oh the 3/4 load, that’s an extra 3 boxes of shells per bag of shot!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

All good advice guys.