RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationADvertise hereLee Precision

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Lever Action?

Hi Y'all!

Thanks again for more "food for thought!".

357MAG: Great idea! 310 Martini!
    I have a Hammerli-Widmer Martini action in 7.5 Swiss. It is a great and deliberate target rifle, designed for 300M work. It also weighs 19.5 lbs!
    The design of the stock makes it practical for offhand. But, it is not a fast handling "shotgun-like" rifle.
    So, hence the lever action rationale. But, yes, a small Martini would be nice.
    Plus, there are the many European single shot "Jaeger" or "Stutzen" style rifles...all light handy single shots.

By Father in Law, who's passed away, owned a nice old Marlin 1893 in 30-30. Has a full length octagonal barrel. My brother in law has it, but he never shoots. Of course, the value to him is very precious. But, it would be nice to have it, work up some loads, and take it out!

Jim

Boolit Master
    6string -

Howdy, again !

I have been a .35 calibre fan for 45+ yr. Have gravitated towards the idea of using a hyper accurate .358” cal rifle for “ score “ shoots.

I am a fan of Marlin levers, having owned a M-336 XLR .35 Rem, 1894SC .357Mag,
    -60s M-336 .35 Rem; and other.

For score use, I tried first an H&R SB-2. .357Max, then a full custom benchrest-grade bolt rifle w/ custom 22” SS barrel chambered in .357AutoMag.... which I expanded out to true .358” cal; for using rifle bullets. Most recent, a lot of range work and experimentation w/ my CT- made XLR .35 Rem.

I decided to try both swaged lead boolits and “ patching “ @ the same time.
    I initially tried “Dead Center “ .35 cal 175 SPBTs pulled from .45 cal sabbaths muzzleloader rounds, along w/ nylon “ Dymo “ label maker tape. These boolits feature a rebated boat tail, and polymer tipped hollow cavity.

The patched boolits were too fat to fit the fired necks of my .35 Rem brass, so I had the idea to try the bullets w/ the boat tail seated into the .35 Rem case’ mouth.... w/ the neck completely cut off.

In this configuration, the 175s were too short to reach the rifling. And, the boolit being able to seat firmly into the rifling is part n’ parcel of the neckless “ cartridge “ being able to generate chamber pressure.

I next tried Dead Center’s .35 cal 195 SPBT. These did reach the rifling, and were patched w/ the same nylon tape; as before.

Using SR4759 I was able to not only get on paper @ 100, but also was able to put the 195 into the inner rings of the bullseye target. I was shooting reduced loads, and stopped further load refinement once recoil became excess for my bench shooting needs.

I mention the above, my use of a lever rifle for accuracy work sounds similar to your post.

I put powder charge in the primed case, added a few folds of tissue paper; and tamped the case full to where the bottom of the boat tail would be located on the assembled cartridge using Puff Lon.

Predatory to firing, I used a 90* T10 “ Torx “ Allen- style wrench fitted w/ a short length of thick plastic soda straw as my breech seating tool. This process reminds strongly of “ Schuetzen “ loading practices. The whole cartridge assembly process in the breech was not the best ergonomically, but did work.

I bought a new CVA Hunter .35 Remington, w/ intent to continue my .35 Remington “ neckless “ experiments, but see that the rifle is set-up where bullets will be located a tad further off the lands. Compared to a Marlin .336 .35 Rem. Haven’t been to the range w/ the rifle, yet.

My point:
    A CVA Hunter .35 Rem, or perhaps an H & R Ultra Rifle .35 Rem. Would fit your needs ?
    The latter have been made for use in some Southern states’ “ Primitive “ season, and can been seen up for sale every now and again!

IMHO - bolt rifle’s can be configured for change barrel use more readily than can a lever rifle.
    That bolt rifle capability give you a great amount of flexibility. My .358AutoMag was just stupid accurate

“ Barrel stubbing “ top break rifle is another option.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master
    6string -

Correctionsto previous....

“ Sabbotted “ muzzle loader rounds

“ Prepatory to firing.....”

My computer is apparently doing some sort of auto word fill-in and that leads to typos when not caught

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master
    I agree with a marlin 1894c. Load light 38 for plinking to be as fun and almost as cheap as 22. Power levels all the way up to full 357 with a 180 gr. Bullet to drop dear size animals. With a levergun, eject your empties where you want them to fall. This is why I like it better than a SKS or 30 Carbine.

I have used levers for woods deer hunting since I started in 60s. 100yd and less there is no need for BA accuracy. Had a Marlin 1897 22 since I was a kid. I don't do cast for 30/30 but do for 25/20, 32/20, 38/55, 45/70 and pistol cartridges. Most of my levers are originals and they all shoot cast better than jackets. If you are looking at 38/55 it would be a good all purpose cast shooter.

Hey Y'all,

Great ideas! Wow, 357 Automag in a bolt gun. That makes a lot of sense. Would be cool to see that in an ultra short action.
    35 Remington...that's one I forgot to consider.

Jim

Boolit Master
    6String-

Howdy !

Wanna see some pics ?

Do a search for these post’ titles:

- .35 Rem neckless

- Marlin M-336 XLR .35 Rem bench rest rifle

With regards,
    357Mag

User name = 357Mag

Boolit Master
    6String -

Howdy !

For more .35 calibre fun, go to:
    Accurateshooter.com Do a search for post titled “ ream a comparator “.

You’ll see a response by 357Mag, which includes some group pics.

With regards,
    357Mag

I read up on the 35 Rem neckless. This reminds me of breech seating cast boolits, as per schŘetzen, etc. very good idea!

Couldn't find the comparitor article...the host site sent me instead to a page to make a donation!

Thanks for the fascinating info!

Jim

Seems like for iron sight shooting, a left handed shooter would benefit from the top eject Winchester 94. If you want to scope it, Marlins make it easy.

The 30-30 is pretty cheap to reload, and the brass will probably be reloadable no matter how many times you reuse it at 357 power levels. The 357 or 30-30 are the cheapest and easiest to shoot and reload. But, the 30-30 Rifle is usually cheaper to buy and has the widest range of ammo choices when reloading for varying power levels and ranges. AND, if desired, the 30-30 can be rebored for the 35/30-30, or the 38-55.

Boolit Buddy
    i bought my first lever gun a new Marlin 39A "mountie" in the early 60s. I still have it.
    I am left handed so maybe that is why a like a lever action.
    When the going gets tough the tough get going!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12