Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Thread! Rossi R92

My First Thread! Rossi R92

This is my first attempt at my own thread.
    A couple days ago I picked up a Rossi R92 in 38 spl / 357 mag from my FFL.
    It is actually nicer than I expected, did not really know what to expect.
    A lot of years ago I bought an Interarms 65 SRC in 44 mag, always kind of wanted one in 38 / 357, finally I got one.
    The Interarms Rossi had a nasty stain that came off on my hands and face.
    I stripped the finish and applied boiled linseed oil, much nicer.
    The new rifle has a nice smooth finish and an attractive buckhorn sight.
    The older rifle has a plain sight, I may replace it with a ladder sight I recently acquired.
    The only thing that is radically different between the two rifles is the new one has a safety mounted on the rear end of the bolt, probably a mandated "feature" to allow it to be imported would be my guess. The front sight is dove tailed into the barrel the old one had it integrated into the barrel band.
    There are a few other minor cosmetic differences but the two rifles are basically identical except for the calibers of course.
    I have had the 44 for a long time but have not shot it much, now that I am semi retired I hope to get out more to shoot my guns.
    Well, I think I have bored you enough for one evening.

OMG! I miss spelled thread!

I really like the .38/.357 lever gun for informal target practice and thinning out turtles in a stock tank.

You can cast & load for it about as cheap as you can buy hot rod .22LR.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy

I’ve installed a globe front sight and a tang rear on mine. At short range it has worked well on small to mid sized deer.

NOE makes Rossi scout scope mounts. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=103

Was at a very small gun show yesterday and a fellow had new Rossi 357’s in both blue and SS. This is the first time I have seen 357’s in a coon’s age. If only the SS was a Trapper !

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve got the 357/38 the 44 mag 45 colt and 454 Casull Rossi I really like them
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F023BC2D-4E7D-4FFE-A1CB-96A67ECDE415.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	256009
    This is my 45 coltihavent seen to many like this 24” barrel

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    OMG! I miss spelled thread!
    I fixed it for you.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    I had a Browning in 44 years ago. Times got hard and it went away. A few years passed before I could afford to replace it. When the time came they were harder to find than a honest politician so it went on the back burner. 8 or 9 years ago I found a used LSI marked Rifle in 44. Shoots well but isn't very handy with the long barrel. The steel curved buttplate makes it nasty to shoot off the bench with full power loads. 3 years ago I found a used SRC in 357. I really like it. Shoots anything that I put in it. Factory 38s, 357s and reloads. Doesn't have feeding issues with any of my cast bullets.(SWC). Still, not a 44. That all changed last summer when both of the local shops got shipments of Rossi's in both 357 and 44 soon followed by the same guns in SS. I bought a blue versions (OK call me a traditionalist). All three have the bolt the safety (yes I wish they didn't but at least they don't have that icky thumb safety like the Win.). I understand there is a fix for the bolt safety but I decided I could live with them as is. I am now a happy camper. If only i could find a Marlin Mountie to replace that one I sold at the same time as the Browning!!

Thought I would post a picture of my centerfire lever rifles.
    I have two more lever guns not pictured, a cheap Chinese copy of an 1887 12 gauge shotgun and a Henry 22 rimfire.
    Top rifle is Winchester Model 94, center is Interarms 65 SRC in 44 magnum, and bottom is my new Rossi R92 in 38spl/357magnum.
    Attachment 256021

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have 3 Rossi rifles. One was a 38 Spl- now it is a 32-20

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/...idge_guide.htm
    Last edited by John Boy; 02-03-2020 at 05:32 PM.
    Regards
    John

Overall they are very nice rifles for the money. Even more so if you do a little action work. Though some may need a little fine tuning to get to work right.

My dad wanted a .44mag lever the other year so I found a new stainless 92 Rossi for him, a Puma with the safety on top of the bolt. If would miss picking up a round or two out of 10 or 15 rounds though. I did the extractor spring, stainless steel follower and the action work on the Steves guns DVD. I just did not clip the hammer spring and mag tube spring as much as Steve said can be done. Action was butter and much nicer after the work. Only problem is now after the action work it would hardly feed a round. Narrowed it down to a problem with the spring loaded bullet guide on the left side. The finger that left the round out of the mag tube was too long. Trimmed a 45 degree angle on that finger little by little assembling to test along the way until it now feeds as fast as you can work the lever with no dropping rounds.

I believe I'll end up buying one for my self here soon.

Boolit Buddy
    I love that 24" barrel. Not nearly as popular but I love how they point and feel. The 16 in ones feel too short for me.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

The Interarms 65 SRC Rossi in 44 mag seems to work flawlessly.
    The action is smooth and never had any issues with it, the rear sight is kind of cheapish but that could be replaced but the dovetail is none standard.
    My plan is to machine a ladder sight for it sometime using a M-95 I got from Brownells, I guess I could modify the M-95 but don't really want to start boogering it up after paying the insane price they want for those things.
    The S92 Rossi has a nice buckhorn so do not really want to change it although the ladder sight would fit it as it does seem to have the standard 3/8" dovetail with the correct angles.
    Probably won't shoot my new rifle till warmer weather as I am no fan of cold.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the 24" octagonal .44 Mag model. I love the balance and handling. Fun rifle with moderate to light cast bullets loads. But it is brutal to shoot off the bench with full-house jacketed loads. Getting the elbow slammed into the shooting bench is not conducive to shooting tight groups. LOL
    Last edited by Andy45; 02-03-2020 at 07:37 PM.

I peep-sighted two different Rossi 92's differently - both ways resulted in low-mounted sights that zeroed within 5 shots, using the issue height front sight blade.

On one I D/T'd one 6-48 hole in the top/rear portion of each of the receiver's sidewalls, and installed a sight made for a Winchester 1894AE (Williams 5D-94AE)

I removed the bolt top safety vis opening the bolt and pushing out the safety retaining pin from the locking lug recess', then made a flat replacement plug to fill the safety hole.

On the other, I removed the safety as above, then dropped in a safety replacement bolt peepsight from Steve's Guns

https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.p...products_id=10

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I have a 16" SS 92 Rossi/Puma in a .357/.38Spl. It is my favorite varmint and "pick-up" gun. The bigger calibers in this super light weight have too much recoil and whoever said that metal butt plate can hurt you off the bench has been there, done that! There are plenty of instructions on the internet on how to slick up the action, and most will feed either .38 caliber round interchangeably. The .357 is a whole different cartridge in a rifle barrel (even 16") where all the powder is burned in the tube, rather than "flamed" outside of a revolver's short barrel. Quite a difference in bullet velocity as well! My .02

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    I’ve got the 357/38 the 44 mag 45 colt and 454 Casull Rossi I really like them
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F023BC2D-4E7D-4FFE-A1CB-96A67ECDE415.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	256009
    This is my 45 coltihavent seen to many like this 24” barrel
    I've got it's brother in .38/357 and it's my favorite plinker...powder-coated 125 gr RNFPs/Unique/.357 cases are sudden death on liter-size plastic Gatorade bottles out to 100 yds or so.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    I had a rossi 92 in 38/357, I could not fault it the only reason I sold it I could not keep the brass up to it shooting single action, so I changed to 32/20 I was the only one shooting 32/20 and in 3 years I only lost one case.

Boolit Master
    I hope you've got a progressive press for loading those .357s. They take A LOT to keep 'em fed. A box of 50 just don't last long at the range. The Rossi .357 lever action is the whole reason I got into this forum in the first place.

I bought a used '92, bought some ammo. Went to the range. I looked at my watch after I shot the last round and realized that if I didn't quickly figure out how to get cheaper ammo I would be spending more on ammo than the gun purchase every few range visits! So I got a reloading press & then got a bullet mold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast