MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .32 caliber cast bullet for deer

Lots of deer have been killed with the 32-20. Bullet placement and close range. My money's on you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I'm kind of surprised at some of the answers that were given to you. I had to double check to make sure I was on this board.
    It's YOUR gun, and YOUR money, do what you want with it, and enjoy it. I might say that it may not be my first choice. But I don't know how you hunt. I have no doubts that the 327 could take a deer, with the right load, and shooting conditions.
    It really doesn't take that much to kill a deer. It's when the deer's adrenalin kicks in, that it becomes a problem.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jban View Post
    I'm kind of surprised at some of the answers that were given to you. I had to double check to make sure I was on this board.
    It's YOUR gun, and YOUR money, do what you want with it, and enjoy it. I might say that it may not be my first choice. But I don't know how you hunt. I have no doubts that the 327 could take a deer, with the right load, and shooting conditions.
    It really doesn't take that much to kill a deer. It's when the deer's adrenalin kicks in, that it becomes a problem.
    It's a pistol which has a much smaller margin of error. As for the gun, it's yours as others have said. I wouldn't do it myself but if you want to then that's your business.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    Speaking of Andy does he have a website, or still a snail-mail proposition?
    No email or website. Phone or mail

Boolit Man
    My only .32 caster is the Single Seven Mjolnir which would seem to be a great option but I've been having less than fantastic results with it in an H&R Ruger and .32-20 Marlin. Have been working in a fairly limited range with it though and my initial thought of it being too heavy for the twist rates/speeds is probably wrong---one individual has found success with it that I know of. The design seems right for what you want to do, maybe one of the Accurate versions would work out better and I hope you'll have success then post results down the road.

Your plans have brought out some pretty entertaining hand wringing here, no surprise. I intend to end up with one of those revolvers some day and at an auction looked hard at one that had been converted to .32-20. Nice revolvers either way.

I'm sorry I don't consider the .327 revolver an effective deer gun even for small Florida deer. It's no better than a hot loaded .32-20 rifle or M1 carbine.
    Plus one in spades....and with no "entertaining hand wringing"...Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 02-09-2020 at 08:14 AM.

Boolit Man
    Thank you all for your responses. It is going to Andy Horvath for rechambering and an action job!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    Why not get a .327 Henry Rifle.
    That gun will perforate deer and likely down it.
    So you kill a deer. What's next?
    Rifles are not allowed everywhere, and the question of what bullet to use is still a valid one. I'm guessing once he kills a deer, he would go after another. That's what I do.

Boolit Master

I’m a big fan of a WFN design for hunting. In this 32 I would lean to a HP and spend sometime finding a alloy that’s expands penetrates yet shoots well.

But my choice is a Accurate 31-135S. Mine is a S7 and it shoots lights out! I’m so hooked I’m buying a second!

I have been working up loads going slowly. Just recently I am at mid 1200’s and excellent accuracy with this bullet powder coated. Using Blue Dot powder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2D3C91AA-AA6A-47C5-8EE7-B5F2F4025B98.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	256260

Name:	CCBEEBBB-BB1B-44BE-BF1C-997527FA3B6E.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	256261

Name:	9F137918-137D-418E-8EAD-261FAB0F7F80.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	256262

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I’m a big fan of a WFN design for hunting. In this 32 I would lean to a HP and spend sometime finding a alloy that’s expands penetrates yet shoots well.

But my choice is a Accurate 31-135S. Mine is a S7 and it shoots lights out! I’m so hooked I’m buying a second!

I have been working up loads going slowly. Just recently I am at mid 1200’s and excellent accuracy with this bullet powder coated. Using Blue Dot powder.

Name:	2D3C91AA-AA6A-47C5-8EE7-B5F2F4025B98.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	256260

Name:	CCBEEBBB-BB1B-44BE-BF1C-997527FA3B6E.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	256261

Name:	9F137918-137D-418E-8EAD-261FAB0F7F80.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	256262

CW
    That looks like a bullet my brother designed for NEI and was picked up by Accurate. If it is more power to you. It shot very well out of his Ruger .327.

ACC

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    Why not get a .327 Henry Rifle.
    That gun will perforate deer and likely down it.
    So you kill a deer. What's next?
    Kill another two or three, some pigs maybe a turkey or two. The Henry rifles just don’t trip my trigger. I like the Marlins and Winchester 92s in the pistol calibers but not really looking for a .327 chambered rifle. I had a Browning Model 53 .32-20 and it worked well. The .327 Fed is not going to be my primary deer gun but should an opportunity arise I would like to use it. A feeding relaxed doe inside 25 yards would be the most likely scenario that I would use it in.

Boolit Master
    Pacecars,
    When I first saw your thread, I skipped it for whatever reason. When I read it this morning I thought it was just to early for popcorn, so I had coffee instead. I personally balanced myself on top of the fence as I could see both sides of the issue. I can tell this ain't your first Rodeo....

Man that it one pretty revolver (I saw your pic of it on another thread)! As you're gonna do what you're gonna do, I say it'll be a lot of fun! I'm curious as to the cylinder length as that'll give you an idea of how long you can go (which you already know).

I'm a fanboy of heavy for caliber GC molds and PC'd bullets. I'd get something like the MP Sledgehammer (if it fits) and roll on. I wish my Sledgehammer mold was plain base now, but it's what I have.

32cal from handgun is not a practical choice for deer. It is marginal at best in a rifle. Yea it will kill them under idea conditions, so will a 22rf.

Boolit Master

People need to write S&W and ask them to build a stainless steel K or L frame 327 magnum in 4-5 and 6 inch barrels w/o the heavy underlug.
    I write 2 or 3 times a year asking for such a gun. Crickets on their end. Maybe with more voices they will hear us.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DHDeal View Post
    Pacecars,
    When I first saw your thread, I skipped it for whatever reason. When I read it this morning I thought it was just to early for popcorn, so I had coffee instead. I personally balanced myself on top of the fence as I could see both sides of the issue. I can tell this ain't your first Rodeo....

Man that it one pretty revolver (I saw your pic of it on another thread)! As you're gonna do what you're gonna do, I say it'll be a lot of fun! I'm curious as to the cylinder length as that'll give you an idea of how long you can go (which you already know).

I'm a fanboy of heavy for caliber GC molds and PC'd bullets. I'd get something like the MP Sledgehammer (if it fits) and roll on. I wish my Sledgehammer mold was plain base now, but it's what I have.
    Considering you can get 1500 fps from the 135 gr HP, a gas check is a good thing.

Boolit Bub
    Cylinder length 16-4 including rim = 1.608
    That’s what mine measures anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MNruss View Post
    Cylinder length 16-4 including rim = 1.608
    That’s what mine measures anyway.
    Edit, I missed the part where you said rim, so I'm assuming these are not recessed. I beleive a 32 sledgehammer has a .400" crimp to nose. I load to 1.600" OAL, so this should be just enough cylinder.

People need to write S&W and ask them to build a stainless steel K or L frame 327 magnum in 4-5 and 6 inch barrels w/o the heavy underlug. That, Sir, is one heck of an idea. I have a Smith Model 16 with a 4" bbl. and it's just too heavy to tote around as a woods/meadows trail piece.

Beautifully accurate with SA & DA trigger pulls that'll bring tears to your eyes, it's just too heavy. Given my ultimate druthers, I'd opt for a Model 60 with a 5" bbl. in .32 H&R....a good bit lighter, but with enough weight in that 5" tube to facilitate good offhand use at wood's ranges (25 yds and beyond).

I had one of the now rare Model 60's with a 5" bbl. in .357 for several years but gave it to my #1 son who's put it to some use up in the Adirondacks of NY. It was a pleasing revolver to shoot up to 1100 fps or so, and would have been the Zoot Capri had it been offered in .32 H&R.

Best Regards, Rod

Boolit Master
    As said, before rechambering you may want to measure the cylinder length and the bullets available for what you want to do.

Also recently traded into a 16-4. A LNIB 4"...they sell in the area of $12-1400 on the action sites. I've considered having mine rechambered to .327 but since I have a custom Model 53 that is now a .327 that does have a Magnum length cylinder and a 6" barrel I'll probably just leave it as is. That and a 6.5" FA 97 would take care of the hunting anyway.

As to taking deer with the .327. The last Pa. doe I shot was with a .350 Rem. Mag. 125 yard shot low in the shoulder. Broke the femur, took the bottom off the heart and left an 1x2" hole going out...and the deer still ran 80 yards. A friend shot a doe with a Single-Seven 5.5" with the American Eagle 100 grain SP and it dropped after a few steps...

Hunting ethics has nothing to do with a specific caliber...it has to do with the shooter knowing his firearm, caliber and his ability to put an ethical shot into his intended target at his self-imposed maximum distance. I'd have a lot more respect for a hunter with a .327 who can put a round in the kill zone out to 35 yards and would never take a shot past that than a bozo with a .44 who takes a 100 yard shot who never practiced past 50...

Bob

Boolit Man
    I shot a 115 lb doe with a Model 53 .22 Remington Jet using 45 gr factory loads. I will admit that it is not the best load for deer and I wouldn’t recommend it but I happened to be using it while trying to call in a bobcat. The doe responded to my woodpecker call and walked up and stopped at about 10 yards and stopped. I had a doe tag in my pocket and shot her in the neck and dropped her on the spot. The conditions were perfect or I would have let her walk. When I am hunting a specific buck with a handgun I will either be carrying a Ruger SBH Bisley .480 or a Fusion 10mm with a red dot sight or I will use a Shiloh Sharps 1874 rifle in .45-70 with paper patch bullets over black powder. At this point in my life I enjoy the challenge that comes hunting with handguns and my buffalo rifles. I have plenty of modern scoped rifles but rarely take them hunting. I asked the question because I figured someone out there has probably shot deer with a .32 H&R, .32-20 WCF, .327 Federal or some other .32 caliber and could tell me what bullet they used and how it worked. I know that it is on the light side but this ain’t my first rodeo and I won’t take a marginal shot on game no matter what gun I am using. I practice at the ranges that I will be shooting at and don’t take chances on live animals. The only thing I hate worse than missing a game animal is wounding one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast