Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45acp LSWC, Fail

Something I hadn't seen mentioned that might work for ya is get a 230RN mold,
    ease on up closer to max. speed/pressure, and powder coat.

I don't PC, but I've handled a couple 230 RNs that were, and they are at least as slick as a factory RN
    and plenty hard enough not to 'skid' on feeding.

That might trick the XD into thinking you're shooting 'GI hardball' or factory RN J-words.

It won't cut holes like a SWC, but you can still see them without a spotting scope.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-04-2020 at 05:11 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post

DougGuy I also just inspected the barrels and both the Witness and the XD are somewhere in-between the two samples you pictured. I thought the Witness would be problematic anyways as I have difficulties with just plated bullets in it and I find with both guns even with Berry's Flat Point bullets I have to load them deeper in order for them to reliably chamber.
    Some makers do have a little freebore, but it's often the case that the diameter of it is too small to seat a .452" out as far as you would like to. More like .451" - .4515" but I have pinned out Glocks at .453" on more than one occasion so there are exceptions.

In early 1911 production it was common to see hardball with .453" bullets and having a barrel throat that would plunk those was pretty much the norm as the 1911 was specifically designed to handle any ammo in pretty much any condition. If my memory serves me correctly, .453" was and STILL IS the SAAMI spec for 45 ACP hardball.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 02-04-2020 at 09:16 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Just as an update a bullet change seems to have made a world of difference. The new one is a Lee 200gr 452 RNFP.

Will be starting a new thread more in line with that bullet. Thanks everyone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12