RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: powder shortage???

powder shortage???

Just got back from Scheels. Guy there said that Hodgdon had sent out notice about powder stocks would be minimal for the for seeable future. Got online, Midway & Natchez are all ready showing a LOT of out of stock powders. Anybody heard why this is?

rmcc
    fools rush in where angels fear to tread...Alexander Pope

The fires in Australia burned up Hodgdon's manufacturing plant.

Boolit Master
    I suspect those who were caught short the last time bought a case of the powder they wanted to head off being out and sold out whatever was in stock. People seem to be buying several cans of powder with no real need so that they don't run out in several years of shooting. At this point there are many powders out of stock.. H1000, Retumbo, Varget, and Reloder 26, and a few others. My club has adequate stock on hand and isn't letting anyone hoard anything specific so as to keep what we have in stock for a bit longer. If Varget stays out of stock for too long, N140 will be the next thing to sell out. There really isn't anywhere local to my area to get components so my club is basically where people come to buy.
    Last edited by sargenv; 02-03-2020 at 09:05 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Hodgdon's official statement is that military contracts are starting to take a much bigger bite of their supply. They also said they plan to ship out more powder this year than last year.
    Edited to add a photo.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Davy Sprocket; 02-03-2020 at 09:51 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I feel no sympathy for people caught short. If the last shortage event did not wake people up, they are grasshoppers. We have had a long time to build up inventories. You snooze, you lose.

.22 ammunition is currently less than $2/box with sales and rebates. If someone has not put up 10-20k rounds they are not thinking long term.

We can learn from history or be doomed to repeat it.
    Don Verna

Yeah and with the election coming it’s only going to get worse.

Boolit Master
    Lagamor, took the exact words I was going to post. You'd think by now that every 4 years when election year rolls around folks would have learned to stock up long before that time. But nope there are some that always miss the boat. Frank

Brownells was out of several powders recently.
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

Boolit Master
    While we may not be able to get "the" powder we want, but that does not mean we cannot find a substitute powder in a similar burning rate. I can see an opportunity the powder companies that still have manufacturing facilities outside of Australia to take advantage of their position in the market and perhaps to earn a few loyal customers along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcc View Post
    Just got back from Scheels. Guy there said that Hodgdon had sent out notice about powder stocks would be minimal for the for seeable future. Got online, Midway & Natchez are all ready showing a LOT of out of stock powders. Anybody heard why this is?

rmcc
    What Scheels did you go to ? know the one in Coralville dose not have alot of powder in the stock like the one in Cedar Falls
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    I am stocked for many moons...

Boolit Master
    I am thinking I also have enough powder/primers for a couple of election cycles.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Banned

Ia City seems to be out of most things in the shooting department. Unless you want to shoot shotgun or muzzleloaders. F&F is just ridiculous on what they do have in stock. The only thing I go there for is to check out the surplus guns they carry. I have found a few Mosins there that were ex snipers and a SA Finn marked 9130. Both at normal cost before they went through the ceiling on prices.

Boolit Master

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...n-powder-2020/

Statement from Hodgdon addressing the shortage.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    I no longer believe a word H is saying. Their words are BS to me. There is not all that much demand for powder right now. Not compared to some of the high points in demand like after Dec 2012... I found plenty of Varget in the years that followed. In 8lb jugs. None since. Something else is going on. It is 8 years later. They have had plenty of time to stabilize powders like Varget in H4350. 8 YEARS!!!! F’ them.

Starting to think H is creating a demand. After I finish my Varget, I will be switching to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...n-powder-2020/

Statement from Hodgdon addressing the shortage.

Just loaded up on 231, 700X and bullseye ( oops, that Alliant) 4 months ago. Just tapped into my 8 lb. jug of varget and have much 1lb cans of various rifles powders to use up. Perfect time to use up old stock. Maybe poor market assessment by H does not nessisarily constitute an emergency for us if we look towards other powder manufactures for a short time. I sure like my 700X though.

Boolit Buddy

I usually get my powder at the local trap range, but they were out of Clays and don't expect a shipment for a month or so (burn a lot of it shooting clay birds). I ordered Clays and Red Dot from Ballistic Products (along with some other supplies), so I should be set for awhile. I remember the last powder shortage and try to stay stocked up.

Boolit Grand Master
    Grafs has free hazmat with a $200 order. I just ordered some shooters world precision powder. Supposed to be close to Varget. Will see how it works in my 308, which loves Varget, just uses alot of it!!

A lifetime supply would not be a bad idea in these uncertain times.

Boolit Buddy
    the powder companies are doing this so they can up the prices. the prices have gone up and are still going up. just wait and there will be powder, lots of it at over/around $250.00 dollars for eight pounds. so brands are at that price now. look at 5744 prices at $240.00 plus for eight pounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast